Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Hurricane Ian

Scott747

39 minutes ago, Normandy said:

I believe the Euro here is showing the easternmost outcome for this system.  More than likely this runs up the coast and comes in a bit further west.  Angle of approach is going to be important.

Euro is  certainly  interesting  for coastal virginia assuming it  doesnt  keep shifting east. a  30 mile west adjustment and the  cane season will end with a  bang.

At this point I'm about ready to dismiss a landfall any further west than the eastern FL Panhandle.  I"m riding the EURO train here.  It does fairly well in situations like this.  I'd feel better if we had a well developed TD or TS rather than expected genesis.  If the EURO does something like this track again tonight and again tomorrow I'd say we are coming to a believable solution.  For what it is worth WPC keeps all moisture out of the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic next 7 days and implied beyond that.  Still not at a final solution yet but I think the western ones should start to be thought of as outliers.

Screenshot 2022-09-22 at 3.34.32 PM.jpg

Here's my deal, son's baseball tournament on Sept. 29th-Oct. 3rd in Fort Myers and family vacation in Cancun Oct. 16th.  Don't want to travel to Fort Myers with the chance of the tournament being cancelled completely or Cancun get decimated two weeks before a family vacation.  Hoping the storm doesn't develop at all and spare not only my plans but all those in the threat zone. 

9 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Very interesting 

FB_IMG_1663875417727.jpg

What a concentration over and just SE of S FL on the 12Z EPS! Note that those that cross S FL pretty much don't get further west than 84W in the NW Caribbean. Those that miss FL to the SE don't get past about 81W in the NW Carib.

6 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Very interesting 

FB_IMG_1663875417727.jpg

Shift this ensemble package west by 100 to 150 miles and you've got a big rainmaker in the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast.  I think an eastern FL Panhandle potential is still in play but have to watch next 2-4 12Z and 00Z cycles for a shift either west or east.  I believe western FL Panhandle on westward and Yucatan landfalls are outlier options at this point.

• Like 1

I’d say GFS is on an island at this point. 
From what I’m seeing:

1) Western track would be slower moving and likely a weaker system at landfall 

2) eastern track crosses big part of Cuba and doesn’t have much time to strengthen before hitting Florida, but is a strengthening system on approach and then opens the door for east coast action

3) something between these 2 would probably yield the strongest landfall impact further up the Florida peninsula and would then be a potential serious inland flooding threat with trough interaction and overrunning.

Fun times ahead tracking. These are all very presumptuous based on model runs without an actual system but hey, these 3 scenarios look plausible  depending on which one the system takes 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Euro tries to do that. 

I've heard that the state did not bury the powerlines when they forced LILCO into bankruptcy to seize control of the utility.  Cat 1 Hurricane Belle in 1976, I thought it was an adventure, Mom having to throw all the food out in the fridge, not so much.  Would you road trip to, say, the Hamptons, to catch the eye?

1 hour ago, Normandy said:

Another thing to consider, the vorticity is consolidating just east of the ABC islands....which is west of the Euro's consolidation.  In short: SE and SW FL looking like they are in trouble.  I'm fairly confident that GFS solutions won't verify now.

Sonething west of the 12z op Euro and east of the 12z op GFS seems like the reasonable play at this point.

Since there has been so much discussion about the incoming trough, I think it was DT who had an old school rule that a hurricane will begin to feel the effects of a trough when the base of the trough gets within 10 degrees latitude of the system.  Can anyone back this up?  

17 minutes ago, bdgwx said:

12Z UKMET crosses western Cuba and enters the eastern GOM heading north and then takes the turn NE heading toward the FL coast well north of Tampa at hour 168 as a "meh" tropical storm.

pGwWdhw.png

The UKMET is almost always very conservative on forecasted storm strength especially during the early stages. This run actually never has it stronger than a TS and it's near its strongest during hours 132-168 of this run. So far, it hasn't had it stronger than 992 mb on any run. So, I consider the UKMET track much more informative than the intensity in most cases including now.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, GaWx said:

The UKMET is almost always very conservative on forecasted storm strength especially during the early stages. This run actually never has it stronger than a TS and it's near its strongest during hours 132-168 of this run. So far, it hasn't has it stronger than 992 mb on any run. So, I consider the UKMET track much more informative than the intensity in most cases including now.

Wasn’t the Ukie the one that nailed the Irma track?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bdgwx said:

12Z UKMET crosses western Cuba and enters the eastern GOM heading north and then takes the turn NE heading toward the FL coast well north of Tampa at hour 168 as a "meh" tropical storm.

UKMET has been strangely conservative in the tropics over the last year or so. Not sure if they changed something with the model...

• Scott747 changed the title to Hurricane Ian