Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall/Winter 22-23 General Observations

John1122

1 hour ago, Carvers Gap said:

@Holston_River_Rambler, the angle on that bat makes me hope you didn't film that in the neighborhood.  I thought it was an owl, buzzard, turkey, or eagle before reading your comments

It was down here in MoCo. We have a healthy population lol. That one was a particularly fat one though! 

• Like 1

After two very good winters in a row, we will conclude 2022-23 Met winter as the least snowy winter ever at my house. That is the pattern the last 15 years basically, feast or famine without any middle ground. Also one of the warmest winters ever here.  It was a full 1989-90 repeat in my area. Any time California is flooding and getting buried with snow, we are not going to have a good winter. Mammoth Lake, Ca is approaching 700 inches of snow this year and is looking to add 5 feet this week. That means bad tidings for our winter and it's just went on and on and on.

• Like 1

Since the Christmas snow a couple of years ago, this winter was pretty much a three-peat for me.  Cold start...warm finish and not a lot of snow.   No surprises given the past two winters.  NE TN snow hounds will be glad to exit the Nina pattern.  Western areas had more snow/ice(compared to the rest of the state) as expected.  Maybe we can steal a storm or two later in March.  The ice storm in west TN for late jan/early feb is probably the most significant event and also the extreme 4-5 days of cold in December w/ wind chills sub -30F.  There is stuff(shrubs etc) on my street that looks like someone just dropped scalding hot water on it (usually where the coldest winds set up).  The NAO saved us early.  As soon as it left...poof went the pattern.  Still remarkable to have had snow on the ground two of the last three Christmases given the pattern which followed those winters.  That is an extreme rarity here.  Overall, my seasonal forecast worked for once in regards to temps - I will grade that out after March most likely.  The last three years have been the least snow since the mid 90s(after 93-94) IMBY.  It reminds me a lot of the winters from 94-95 to 99-00.  I saw some total blanks during those winters - nearly complete shutouts.  Fortunately middle and west TN did well during two of the three  past Nina winters.  This winter reminded me a lot of 98-99.  That said, I don't think winter is actually over for higher elevations.  In that regard, it has the potential to be a lot like 2018.  It would not shock me to see someone in the forum area(with respect to the valleys...mountains are too far behind) reach seasonal snow norms if the chips fall the right way.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This wind is no joke this afternoon! I see where Knoxville was reporting sustained winds of 40mph with gusts to 63 earlier and while I don’t have an anemometer, I’d say it was close to that here. Seems like a High Wind warning would be more appropriate, but I know we don’t hardly get those here in the valley. A few weeks ago, and to some degree, this time, seems like the timing was off on the advisory/warning. The wInd this time though is every bit as strong as then if maybe not a little more, and only an advisory this time. I guess it’s not worth the trouble to upgrade?

• Like 5

This wind is no joke this afternoon! I see where Knoxville was reporting sustained winds of 40min with gusts to 63 earlier and while I don’t have an anemometer, I’d say it was close to that here. Seems like a High Wind warning would be more appropriate, but I know we don’t hardly get those here in the valley. A few weeks ago, and to some degree, this time, seems like the timing was off on the advisory/warning. The wInd this time though is every bit as strong as then if maybe not a little more, and only an advisory this time. I guess it’s not worth the trouble to upgrade?

I agree. The wind today was faster than the High Wind Warning day at least here.
  • Like 3

TYS had 4 gusts this afternoon over 60mph. Not sure if it’s coincidence or something is up with their system but TYS has had the highest wind gusts in the valley in every one of these wind events this year. They had a couple in the 70’s last week and one back in February of 87 mph. I believe most of these happened with the LLJ mixing down outside of thunderstorms.

• Like 2

Gusts recorded to 61mph in TRI....every bit of that.  I was driving down a four lane, and a wind gust hit a gravel driveway on the other side of the four way.  It sounded like someone was throwing rocks against my car.  We had to stop in Colonial Heights and help get a decent sized tree out of the road which had landed on a young woman's car.  Fortunately, she was ok...but her car was a mess. The hood and windshield completely caved in.  She was very fortunate.  

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

1.4 inches of rain today. Tons of thunder and lightning and some pretty strong winds tonight. Not as many days any more with this much thunder and lightning. My mom was remarking on that and talking about how in the 60s, 70s, and 80s she remembers storms that would just go on for hours on end and how they seemed more frequent then. 

• Like 3