• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall/Winter 22-23 General Observations

John1122

Oh wow Nov-Dec 1989 was ludicrous cold in the Plains. I figure the same here?

December 1989 KCMO set its all-time record low two nights in a row at -22 but that's at MCI which was built in 1973. MKC got close to its all-time and it's been around much longer. MKC is in the Downtown heat island, so many went with the all-time story out of MCI.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, nrgjeff said:

December 1989 KCMO set its all-time record low two nights in a row at -22 but that's at MCI which was built in 1973. MKC got close to its all-time and it's been around much longer. MKC is in the Downtown heat island, so many went with the all-time story out of MCI.

Yes, several cold waves hit in November and December. I can specifically remember going deer hunting in 1989 and it was snowing and in the mid 10s. That was around November 24th. By December we had a brief very cold blast around the 4th with highs in the 30ish range and lows in the low teens. Then it warmed up for a few days, and on the 9th another front moved through and it stayed cold the rest of the month until just before New Years. Unfortunately it was bone dry for the most part until later in the month. We got a massive arctic front around the 19th that laid down about 4 inches of snow in a hurry. Then upslope got me to around 6 inches. Above 2500 feet the upslope laid down a solid foot during the month and it didn't melt. You could skate on ponds the week of Christmas. December 23rd we had a high of near 0 and a low of -14. We had 6 days below 0 that month.  Unfortunately the rest of the winter was bleh. We didn't have a really notable winter again until 1993.

That long preamble aside, it was 15 this morning. In 1989 we had 4 22s, 3 21s, and 3 mornings in the teens. But due to some very warm weather in between cold snaps we only ended up around -1 for Nov 1989.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Forgot to add to that post, after yesterday we've erased the huge + in my area and I'm now -0.5ish for the month. I noticed Knoxville has went from something like +12 to +1. Should slip BN there in the next few days but possibly go back AN due to cloudy nights to come. The wishy-washy period around and just after Thanksgiving weekend will  determine the +/- for the month for most of us. One day the models show it frigid, the next they are warm.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, nrgjeff said:

Yeah. Very cold here as well. -17 one morning. Just above 10" Snow for December though. One 5 incher a a couple smaller events. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Today was the 6th day in a row with a low in the 10s, as it got to 19 this morning, it is also the 6th day in a row for Tazewell. Oneida has 7 days in a row in the 10s. It's 33 here right now. Looks like it's 34 in Middlesboro and basically it's 5-10 degrees warmer at the other official reporting sites around the area.

We slipped to -1 on the month after today. Will probably stay around that to close the month. The forecast looks like mostly highs below normal and lows above normal the rest of the month.

• Thanks 1

Gonna end up at about -.8 for the month imby.  Norris OBS station is -1.4. Oneida also ended BN. Looks like most of the mid-state ended up around -.5 to +1ish.  Western areas are about the same as the mid-state.   East of 75 looks like the furthest from normal, it was generally +1 to +3 in the far eastern areas.  

• Like 2

On 11/21/2022 at 3:05 PM, John1122 said:

Forgot to add to that post, after yesterday we've erased the huge + in my area and I'm now -0.5ish for the month. I noticed Knoxville has went from something like +12 to +1. Should slip BN there in the next few days but possibly go back AN due to cloudy nights to come. The wishy-washy period around and just after Thanksgiving weekend will  determine the +/- for the month for most of us. One day the models show it frigid, the next they are warm.

That is pretty amazing.  We ended up +2.9, but we had several days of more than +15 and a +21.