Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Major Hurricane Fiona

GaWx

Hours ago, Sydney airport had to estimate the sea-level pressure to be 949.5mb

METAR: CYQY 240900Z 15052G76KT 1 1/2SM R06/4500V5000FT/U -RA BR OVC005 12/12 A2803 RMK NS8 CIG ESTD SLP495 DENSITY ALT 2100FT

edit: 

also 940.0 mb (Grand Etang, on the Cape Breton penninsula)

METAR: CWZQ 241000Z AUTO 08025G38KT 15/12 RMK AO1 PK WND 11038/0959 SLP400 T01510122

1 minute ago, jm1220 said:

Wonder how much that sting Jet remains but I’m sure that means business. Sable Island gusted to 120mph on that jet? 

I think they did and the north shore of NS really took some big winds. I’m getting the strongest winds yet here because it’s coming off the bay now after center passage to my east. 

• Like 1

18hrs without power and counting. Internet and cell phone are dodgy. Minor damage here. Fence blew down and limbs fallen. Multiple gusts in the upper 50’s and low 60’s for most of the night. Hearing reports of heavy damage along the eastern shore of NS as well as the northumberland coast. Strong surge noted in those areas. Damage reports will be slow to come in but this was no slouch of a storm. Especially out east of here.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Hazey said:

18hrs without power and counting. Internet and cell phone are dodgy. Minor damage here. Fence blew down and limbs fallen. Multiple gusts in the upper 50’s and low 60’s for most of the night. Hearing reports of heavy damage along the eastern shore of NS as well as the northumberland coast. Strong surge noted in those areas. Damage reports will be slow to come in but this was no slouch of a storm. Especially out east of here.

Yeah this was a big hit. We’ll see if folks consider it a benchmark storm. Hope you get power back soon.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, guinness77 said:

Authorities in the province declared a state of emergency for the town amid "multiple electrical fires, residential flooding and washouts" Saturday morning.

René Roy, editor-in-chief of Wreckhouse Press, a local news publication, described a scene of carnage in the storm: uprooted trees, at least eight nearby homes vanished in the wake of a violent storm surge, cabins floating by, a boat carried by floodwaters into the middle of a local playground.

"I've lived through Hurricane Juan and that was a foggy day compared to this monster," Roy, 50, told CNN. Hurricane Juan battered the Canadian coast as a Category 2 storm in 2003, knocking down power lines and trees and leaving behind extensive damage. "It is surreal what is happening here," Roy added.

I hate this term "superstorm"-- it causes a lot of problems with insurance adjustors.  There is a simple solution, ANY cyclone with winds of 75+ mph should be considered a hurricane-- tropical or not!

Fiona had been a Category 4 storm early Wednesday over the Atlantic after passing the Turks and Caicos and remained so until Friday afternoon, when it weakened on approach to Canada. It became post-tropical before making landfall, meaning instead of a warm core, the storm now had a cold core. It does not affect the storm's ability to produce intense winds, rain and storm surge, it just means the storm's interior mechanics have changed.

Fiona had the potential to become Canada's version of Superstorm Sandy, Chris Fogarty, Canadian Hurricane Centre manager, said before Fiona hit. Sandy in 2012 affected 24 states and all of the eastern seaboard, causing an estimated $78.7 billion in damage.

An unofficial barometric pressure of 931.6 mb was recorded Saturday at Hart Island, which would make Fiona the lowest pressure landfalling storm on record in Canada, according to the Canadian Hurricane Centre.

17 hours ago, LoboLeader1 said:

I recall Sandy's barometric pressure was 945.5 at landfall in NJ back on Oct.12,2012

Records

October 29, 2012 - Hurricane-hunter aircraft measure Sandy’s central pressure at 940 millibars – 27.76 inches - the lowest barometric reading ever recorded for an Atlantic storm to make landfall north of Cape Hatteras, North Carolina. The previous record holder was the 1938 “Long Island Express” Hurricane, which dropped as low as 946 millibars.

October 29, 2012 - The surge level at Battery Park in New York tops 13.88 feet at 9:24 p.m., surpassing the old record of 10.02 feet, set by Hurricane Donna in 1960.

October 29, 2012 - New York Harbor’s surf reaches a record level when a buoy measures a 32.5-foot wave. That wave is more than seven feet taller than a 25-foot wave churned up by Hurricane Irene in 2011.

https://www.cnn.com/2013/07/13/world/americas/hurricane-sandy-fast-facts/index.html

ctober 29, 2012
- Approaches land as a Category 2 storm.
- The New York Stock Exchange suspends all trading operations.
- Hurricane force winds extend 175 miles out from Sandy’s eye, making it much larger than most storms of its type.
- US Federal offices in Washington area close to the public.
- United Nations headquarters in Manhattan closes.
- Metro in Washington closes its transit service.
- Close to 11 million commuters are without service.
- West Virginia Governor Earl Ray Tomblin declares a state of emergency due to snow and rain from Hurricane Sandy.
- 6,700 National Guard are on active duty or in the process of activating to support the governors of the states affected by Hurricane Sandy.
- Hurricane Sandy weakens to a post-tropical cyclone in the evening before making landfall along the coast of southern New Jersey.
- At least 110 homes burn to the ground in the Breezy Point neighborhood of Queens, New York. The cause of the blaze is not immediately released.
- Three reactors experience trips, or shutdowns, during the storm, according to a Nuclear Regulatory Commission statement.

• Like 1

A clip of the damage survey. Will probably upload the longer one tomorrow. New personal records for low pressure (941.9mb) and wind measured (65.3mph). Great chase. I should note the very last photo is just over the border in New Brunswick. Everything else is the Arisaig area and coastline west. 

• Like 11

I hadn't seen anything about how Sable Island fared but I found an article:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/sable-island-after-post-tropical-storm-fiona-1.6597400

As for the few hundred horses on the island, they likely survived relatively unscathed, he said. Parks Canada staff do not manage the population, and there are rules in place to prevent humans from interacting with the horses or touching them.

Surette said normally the horses find shelter in tall dunes during storms, and by midday Saturday, the horses were out grazing "almost as if nothing happened."

In short, good news

• Like 3