Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Major Hurricane Fiona

GaWx

5 hours ago, CheeselandSkies said:

Good, because he was getting desperate. I'm sure he wasn't expecting the first chaseworthy threat in any accessible basin (apparently he still can't go to Japan for the recent typhoons because of their COVID travel restrictions, which is weird because a local metal band I'm a fan of recently announced they're planning a tour of Japan for December) this season to come after September 15th.

Japan just only recently started to let their borders open again and there's still some restrictions currently. Things like bands are allowed since it's not considered tourism. But if you're a tourist which Josh would be considered by them that's probably why he still wasn't allowed in. Shouldn't be much longer though before they let everyone back in and then he should be able to do it there again

• Thanks 1

VIS & IR satellite continue to show an intensifying hurricane.  Some modest shear on the western side otherwise it is ventilating quite well in all other quadrants.  Classic signature of hurricane heading toward major status.  Trof / upper low to the east and northeast is doing an excellent job of ventilating Fiona.  Pretty classic signature really.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Superstorm93 said:

Best guess on the first pass would be around 95 knots 

gify.gif

I have been tracking hurricanes since 1971.  In that time period I have never seen a storm cross the full length of the DR and look like this only a few short hours later after emerging into the Atlantic.  This is quite spectacular to watch unfold.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Tatamy said:

I have been tracking hurricanes since 1971.  In that time period I have never seen a storm cross the full length of the DR and look like this only a few short hours later after emerging into the Atlantic.  This is quite spectacular to watch unfold.

I was thinking about this earlier today. It really may have just come down to how the center just found itself over the lowest portion of the entire country.

The rebound is absolutely astonishing. 

19410000.gif

• Like 3

Just now, Superstorm93 said:

I was thinking about this earlier today. It really may have just come down to how the center just found itself over the lowest portion of the entire country.

19410000.gif

It’s not just the track over the eastern part of the DR.  The mountains over the central part of Hispaniola are upwards of 10000 feet in elevation.  Air descending down the slopes of these mountains dries out and gets ingested into the circulations of these TC’s and inhibits reorganization and restrengthening.  Not this time.  Wow.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Superstorm93 said:

19410000.gif

Looks good to get kicked by the trough still? I've heard intense hurricanes kind of have a mind of their own.

• GaWx changed the title to Major Hurricane Fiona