Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Major Hurricane Fiona

GaWx

30 minutes ago, NorthHillsWx said:

Per Twitter, sounds like Josh nailed this one. 

Good, because he was getting desperate. I'm sure he wasn't expecting the first chaseworthy threat in any accessible basin (apparently he still can't go to Japan for the recent typhoons because of their COVID travel restrictions, which is weird because a local metal band I'm a fan of recently announced they're planning a tour of Japan for December) this season to come after September 15th.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

For those of you with Facebook, the CoCoRAHS Facebook group has folks from Puerto Rico reporting 15"+ of rainfall.

Three day totals up to 20" near Ponce.  Large data void over mid part of the island where in theory some of the heaviest rainfall would have been enhanced by orographic lift but map does show how heavy some totals have been.

THREE DAY TOTALS.jpg

3 hours ago, jbenedet said:

Fiona having significant land interaction with Hispaniola—something that all major guidance missed 24 hrs ago. The impending dissipation now means higher than usual short term uncertainty on track.  
Just the proximity of the 6,000 ft + mountains over central Hispaniola will do much to disrupt the mesoscale vectors funneling into Fiona’s surface circulation over next 6-10 hrs. Bold forecast to have this as a hurricane in 12 hrs. I think 75/25 we see downgrade to TS before re-emerging. 

164585EF-A41C-4770-B8D7-DE9563E7F6F8.png

This has hardly weakened to this point and the center is going to be over water soon.

Biggest concern after Fiona re-emerges is going to be Bermuda (core still looks to stay east of the Turks & Caicos). Fortunately, Bermuda has strong building codes, but if they get the eastern eye wall of a strong Cat 3 there will still be significant damage. Btw, they have never been hit directly by a Cat 4 and due to heat content limitations it would probably take close to a perfect atmospheric setup for that to happen.

Agreed. You would want to see a cat 5 moving up to really get a 4 there. Luckily for them it’s a wealthy island with some of the best infrastructure in the world. Even wave and surge wise they are protected by offshore reefs. Great place to case a cane. Either way this is a prolific wave producer for the east coast so if anyone is coastal check out the waves later in the week. You will thank me.

2 minutes ago, weatherCCB said:

Looks ready to take off now that’s it’s over water again 

RI looks like real possibility 

Held up extremely well with passage over PR and extreme eastern DR.  Satellite VIS and IR very impressive and shows a system that continues to develop.  Little doubt this reaches Cat 3.  Interesting thing is Danielle, Earl and Fiona all will have reached their peak intensity outside of the deep tropics.

I thought there would be some lag time post exit of landmass for reintensification. Perhaps atleast 6-10 hours of ocean time. I mean this was a trek over the DR, even if the core remained over the lowlands. But I was considering the mountainous terrain impeding some of its low-level inflow into the core. Uhhh... that appears to be a big negatory, slappy. Fiona looks like it is about to experience some explosive deepening.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Superstorm93 said:

GLM activity is already way up in the eyewall of Fiona. Recon should be pretty interesting later on today as the storm tries to rebuild a tight core with a pretty darn impressive UL environment. 

wg8wvirZ.gif

That high level outflow / anticyclone is very impressive look.   Fiona is gonna "go" once she fully clears land.  Upper level outflow almost has that classic "atmospheric sink" look to it.

7 minutes ago, Windspeed said:

I thought there would be some lag time post exit of landmass for reintensification. Perhaps atleast 6-10 hours of ocean time. I mean this was a trek over the DR, even if the core remained over the lowlands. But I was considering the mountainous terrain impeding some of its low-level inflow into the core. Uhhh... that appears to be a big negatory, slappy. Fiona looks like it is about to experience some explosive deepening.

Fiona being in a very good upper air environment has certainly helped in maintaining intensity. Also I think the core stayed just far enough away from the higher mountains in the central portion of Hispaniola 

• GaWx changed the title to Major Hurricane Fiona