• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Major Hurricane Fiona

GaWx

Looking at latest visible loop the center is almost entirely exposed again.  Recent short term motion is due west, maybe even a VERY SLIGHT just south of due west is last few images.  My thinking is this ends up tracking more on the south side of the TPC cone.  Until it can get better vertically stacked the general motion is going to be more west than anything.  Also agree with others that this is not going to emerge into the SW Atlantic and immediately start to intensify.  While all the 12Z data so far (EURO pending) wants to go fishing I'm still not sold until I see where and what condition this emerges from the Greater Antilles.  I will say LR guidance does seem to have several S/W trofs in the pipeline so this may well go fishing I'm just not sure which trof gets it.   Still possible ridge builds over top to send it back to the coast for a time but that chance is less likely as of today.

Regardless of Fiona’s strength/land interaction/current location and heading, models are now showing a much deeper trough approaching the EC. This raises the probability of a recurve significantly. GEFS has been more adamant about this being a deeper trough and looks like other model suites are falling in-line. I expect windshield wiping to continue but not to the extent we’ve seen. I don’t want to rule anything off the table but in this setup I believe it’s a matter of how far west Fiona gets before it recurves vs whether or not the system recurves. 

An alternate but very unlikely scenario is the system opens up into a wave when you combine land interaction with current structure and ends up plodding west with the trade winds. That is the only way this avoids the trough given modeling trends. I don’t see an organized system of any intensity missing that trough connection 

• Like 10

With regard to the CONUS, a safe recurve is clearly the best bet as of now. That has the support of the Euro, GFS suite, UKMET, and CMC. 

But on the 12Z JMA (slower) from 168 to 192, it gets blocked and turns west at least for a short time from a new high to its north. Also, fwiw, many of the 12Z CMC ensemble members (GEPS) hit the CONUS (2 in NE US, handful FL, and good number Gulf coast). The JMA and GEPS both bigtime suck vs the more credible Euro, GFS, and UKMET, of course. But I thought it was worth mentioning.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, GaWx said:

With regard to the CONUS, a safe recurve is clearly the best bet as of now. That has the support of the Euro, GFS suite, UKMET, and CMC. 

But on the 12Z JMA (slower) from 168 to 192, it gets blocked and turns west at least for a short time from a new high to its north. Also, fwiw, many of the 12Z CMC ensemble members (GEPS) hit the CONUS (2 in NE US, handful FL, and good number Gulf coast). The JMA and GEPS both bigtime suck vs the more credible Euro, GFS, and UKMET, of course. But I thought it was worth mentioning.

Geps is still threatening for the gulf and Florida

gem-ememb_lowlocs_atl_33.png

• Thanks 1

Convection once again trying to get going around the LLC.  Shear must less pronounced than yesterday.  Motion today has been pretty much straight west.  I'm not writing this off as a U.S. impact threat until it crosses over the islands.  Exactly when and where that will take place is open to question in my mind.  No doubt there looks to be an impressive trof swinging through the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic mid to late next week.  I'm not sold on that trof picking this up just yet.  We'll see but for now convection trying to get going once again around the LLC.

3 minutes ago, StantonParkHoya said:

It also may go east of Bermuda. Way OTS.

Close enough to Bermuda to be interesting.  My amateur thinking at this point, after allowing myself a touch of weenie 1954 hurricane tracks yesterday, is with all the models w/ half a clue fishing after flooding Hispaniola, it fishes.  Probably even if interacts with C. Hispaniola instead of the flatter E portion of the island.  I see the outlier Canadian ensembles on the TT page, I suppose anything is possible, but if a betting man, my bet is now money line -300 that other than Puerto Rico and the USVI, not a US threat.  The greater than 1010 mb GEFS towards Florida would be a wave, not a TC

20 minutes ago, GaWx said:

A safe miss of the CONUS is easily the best bet on the 12Z EPS. However, fwiw, it has 6 of the 51 members (only 12%) hit the CONUS as a TS+: 2 ME, 1 SC, and 3  FL (2 far south and 1 Melbourne) that then go into the Gulf.

There is a 988 mb (but max winds below 30 knots) crossing the Isle of Youth, so I'd put the Gulf at 8%.  There looks like a SC hit that hasn't quite happened yet as well.  Trying to keep the weenie-ish SEUSA hit alive, but I think this is asking for the perfect triple phaser right over the BM blizzard situation.  I will note, I remember Boxing Day, and the Sabbath observant logging off Friday evening in a funk, the models cancelled the storm, and logging back on to see blizzard warnings.  Eli Manning did beat Tom Brady twice in the Super Bowl.  But my objective/weenie filter activated thought is a fish other than the SE Bahamas or maybe Bermuda once the floods stop on Hispaniola.

Very intense convective blowup right near the center with very cold cloud tops -70 / -80.  Looks like Guadalupe is going to get nailed with very heavy rainfall and gusty winds over the next several hours.  NE part of the island is already under the very intense convection.  Interesting.

Was skeptical of the stronger model solutions all day due to the way Fiona has looked today, really disheveled and disorganized. However, as mentioned earlier, the IR blowup near the center appears to be giving it some boost now. Recon shows a 45-50 knot TS with MAYBE an inner wind maxima developing.

recon_AF302-0507A-FIONA_timeseries.png Think this may be correlated to frictional convergence created by Guadeloupe. This is supported somewhat by radar which shows intense thunderstorms around the center which is over the island

bcbae8232426a1e378ae094ebd76b634.png

Still very asymmetric, needs a lot of work on structure, and I also could be making a stretch but appears it is getting its act together. 

Most models which deepen Fiona to a strong TS/Cat 1 hurricane within next 2 days, have a small core deepening and getting started tonight/tomorrow morning with somewhat faster deepening tomorrow night I do not think the OTS solution is set in stone, however I think the next 2 days of intensification tell a lot of story. As said a billion times less intensification= more west. The models (HMON/HWRF/GFS/EURO) are actually in fairly good agreement about the intensification phase and we'll see if it verifies.  

• GaWx changed the title to Major Hurricane Fiona