Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Major Hurricane Fiona

GaWx

4 minutes ago, olafminesaw said:

The Euro is crawling. makes landfall in West Palm Beach in 9 days as a moderate TS

I think that is more likely a cat 1 H landfall at WPB on the 12Z Euro (near 990 mb).

Look for the 12Z EPS mean to shift SW.

Just now, Superstorm93 said:

The ECMWF solution is possible IF the storm remains weak, IF it interacts with Hispaniola enough to slow it down, and IF the ridge can build back overhead in time. 

Three-way parlay anyone? 

Given how naked the center of Fiona is right now, I'd favor the weaker solution in the short term.

10 minutes ago, Superstorm93 said:

The ECMWF solution is possible IF the storm remains weak, IF it interacts with Hispaniola enough to slow it down, and IF the ridge can build back overhead in time. 

Three-way parlay anyone? 

I guess we  have to counter that with this.

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_30.png

It would  have to go from what  it  looks  like  now to a possible  low end  cat4 west  of  Bermuda. Given that  in reality  it  isnt a tropical storm any longer and  its  looks  awful this  seems equally  unlikely. Maybe  it  just opens  up to a wave and just sails  into Mexico. At least as far as  pressure goes the Euro showing a  990 mb pressure while the  gfs  is showing a  941 mb  pressure i would  have to say the euro is a  bit  more realistic in strength but  not  necessarily  in placement.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, ldub23 said:

I guess we  have to counter that with this.

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_30.png

It would  have to go from what  it  looks  like  now to a possible  low end  cat4 west  of  Bermuda. Given that  in reality  it  isnt a tropical storm any longer and  its  looks  awful this  seems equally  unlikely. Maybe  it  just opens  up to a wave and just sails  into Mexico.

Except 80% of the modeling favors the latter fish path right now 

Based on the visible loop during the course of today the LLC continues to pull away from the deep convection.  The LLC is now fully exposed and decoupled from mid level vortex.  Fiona will have to re-establish a LLC back under the deep convection.  Going to be hard to keep this going if it does not do that.  Forget all the long term tracks the main question is what does this do over the next 24-48 hours.  It its current state the westward motion is going to continue.  Will have to pull together rather quickly tomorrow and Saturday to get this to pass north of PR and DR/Haiti a solution I'm losing confidence in.   Shaky situation unless LLC gets going under the deep convection.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Eps looks to recurve earlier than the op

Yes but the members that keep it weak also are the ones threatening the coast. I honestly think at this point a slow death in the Caribbean is more likely than a recurve. But if it can survive past the islands who knows, as conditions are likely to improve 

AL07_2022091512_ECENS_large.png

• Like 3

Very intense convective blowup centered near 16N -  53W with overshooting cloud tops.  Will be interesting to see if new LLC develops near this burst overnight.  IF it does there will need to be some relocation of the center perhaps by tomorrow morning?  LL vortex is now well removed to the east of this convective burst.

Not sure what difference this makes but the strongest convection has moved a full degree south over the last few hours. At the beginning of the TT loop (16:05z) the strongest convection was between 16-17°N. At the end of the loop (20:55z) the strongest convection was between 15-16°N.

1 hour ago, olafminesaw said:

Yes but the members that keep it weak also are the ones threatening the coast. I honestly think at this point a slow death in the Caribbean is more likely than a recurve. But if it can survive past the islands who knows, as conditions are likely to improve 

12Z EPS implies ~30% risk of a CONUS TS+ landfall based on ~15 of TS+ members landfalling there.

Per NHC, Fiona lost 0.3 degrees of latitude the last 6 hours.

1 hour ago, olafminesaw said:

Yeah this is a very intensity dependent track.  If it's stronger the deep layer steering turns it north.  I am leaning weaker since shear really seems to be kicking it's ass right now and I don't see much change in the upper level wind configuration over the next few days.

• GaWx changed the title to Major Hurricane Fiona