• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Major Hurricane Fiona

GaWx

Official NHC forecast is near worst case as far as fatalities go.  HaIti and the DR have had major flood disasters before.  Grace killed about 2,000 people.  The GFS fantasy range Long Island storm is more monetary damage if it happens, but only those that refuse to evacuate are likely to die.

24 minutes ago, Ed, snow and hurricane fan said:

Official NHC forecast is near worst case as far as fatalities go.  HaIti and the DR have had major flood disasters before.  Grace killed about 2,000 people.  The GFS fantasy range Long Island storm is more monetary damage if it happens, but only those that refuse to evacuate are likely to die.

And as far as weenies go....

1 minute ago, WxWatcher007 said:

It introduces a weakness off the coast that allows for an escape route. Could be real but if it’s not the ridge is a big player. Too early to know at this point. 

I don't know how to find the control ensemble member that was initialized identically to the Op, but if that is a significantly different path than the op wouldn't that suggest resolution is a factor in the ensembles not agreeing with the Op?

IIRC, back when I paid, and Joe Bastardi didn't just rant on politics, he said the path of WPAC TCs are sometimes mirrored a couple of weeks later in ATL storms.  Just on that, Muifa and Nanmadol would suggest 7L could impact the East Coast,  I can't remember if Bastardi ever gave a reason, maybe it was empirical, maybe WPAC storms that entered the mid-latitudes further W than usual influenced the East Coast trough/ridge pattern.  

JB has not tweeted weather today.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ed, snow and hurricane fan said:

IIRC, back when I paid, and Joe Bastardi didn't just rant on politics, he said the path of WPAC TCs are sometimes mirrored a couple of weeks later in ATL storms.  Just on that, Muifa and Nanmadol would suggest 7L could impact the East Coast,  I can't remember if Bastardi ever gave a reason, maybe it was empirical, maybe WPAC storms that entered the mid-latitudes further W than usual influenced the East Coast trough/ridge pattern.  

JB has not tweeted weather today.

What does the BSR say?

3 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Sorry—for comparison’s sake.

KFJdIv4.png

EwDS73U.png

Anybody have a clue whether the GFS or Euro is closer to the truth.  Pretty obvious if 7 survives the G. Antilles, it'll 'try' to fish.  But will it succeed?

A Long Island hurricane is exactly what AmWx needs.  Storm Mode and the New England and NYC subforums in a lather.

(I live in Houston but was born in NYC and grew up in Massapequa, Belle was one of my happy pre-teen memories.  The people in the Hamptons have insurance, I'm sure.)

21 minutes ago, Ed, snow and hurricane fan said:

Anybody have a clue whether the GFS or Euro is closer to the truth.  Pretty obvious if 7 survives the G. Antilles, it'll 'try' to fish.  But will it succeed?

A Long Island hurricane is exactly what AmWx needs.  Storm Mode and the New England and NYC subforums in a lather.

(I live in Houston but was born in NYC and grew up in Massapequa, Belle was one of my happy pre-teen memories.  The people in the Hamptons have insurance, I'm sure.)

Far too soon to say. We're just going to be watching this through the weekend to see how the overall steering pattern shakes out. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Ed, snow and hurricane fan said:

18Z GFS opens 7 into a wave, rains a lot on Hispaniola, and then has the wave redevelop near the Bahamas and come close enough to Hatteras and Cape Cod for some local thread action  At a week plus away, close enough is good enough for me.

NearMisses.PNG

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

Earlier today the convection was near the center, leading to the upgrade to TD.  Since then, however, the convection is being held in place by shear while the center continues westward.

I have no evidence about this besides subjective satellite view, would potentially infer of a possible center re-location under the deep convection to the E/SE.

37 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

Earlier today the convection was near the center, leading to the upgrade to TD.  Since then, however, the convection is being held in place by shear while the center continues westward.

Normally I'd be bearish for a system becoming decoupled from its MLC, but the current one has been so persistent with such deep convection that I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes the dominant feature. Certainly the best looking tropical system deep in the MDR to date. 

Well damn. Gonna need a title change @GaWx

Finally an overperformer

Tropical Storm Fiona Tropical Cyclone Update
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL       AL072022
945 PM AST Wed Sep 14 2022

...DEPRESSION STRENGTHENS TO A TROPICAL STORM...

Satellite data indicate that the depression has strengthened to a 
tropical storm with maximum winds estimated to be near 50 mph (85 
km/h).  This will be incoporated in the next advisory that will be 
released before 11 pm AST (0300 UTC).

SUMMARY OF 945 PM AST...0150 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...16.8N 52.0W
ABOUT 645 MI...1040 KM E OF THE LEEWARD ISLANDS
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...50 MPH...85 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...W OR 280 DEGREES AT 14 MPH...22 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...1002 MB...29.59 INCHES

$$