Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall 2022 Banter Hangout

Chicago Storm

14 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Have an idea for a winter thread that I'm pretty sure we haven't done before.  Should I present it now or wait until, you know, winter?

Is it just me or is the CFS throwing some cold for Jan/Feb/March.  I feel like in the past it's always torched that far out.  Curious??

• Weenie 1

Today is the 20th anniversary of a fairly noteworthy tornado in Indiana history.  It was on the ground for 2 hours and 21 minutes.  Considering all the towns and cities that it went through (including Indianapolis), it's pretty remarkable that nobody died.

Here is the tornado warning text when the storm was approaching Indianapolis, which included "tornado emergency" wording.

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED
TORNADO WARNING
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE INDIANAPOLIS IN
121 PM EST FRI SEP 20 2002

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN INDIANAPOLIS HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...
  NORTHERN JOHNSON COUNTY IN CENTRAL INDIANA
  MARION COUNTY IN CENTRAL INDIANA
  THIS INCLUDES THE CITY OF INDIANAPOLIS

* UNTIL 200 PM EST

* AT 116 PM EST...AMATEUR RADIO WEATHER SPOTTERS REPORTED A 
TORNADO   JUST SOUTH OF MARTINSVILLE...OR ABOUT 17 MILES NORTH OF 
BLOOMINGTON...MOVING NORTHEAST AT 45 MPH.

* THE MOST DANGEROUS PART OF THE STORM IS EXPECTED TO BE NEAR...
  BARGERSVILLE AT 135 PM EST
  GREENWOOD AT 140 PM EST
  HOMECROFT AT 145 PM EST
  BEECH GROVE AT 150 PM EST
  INDIANAPOLIS AT 150 PM EST

THIS IS A LIFE THREATENING TORNADO EMERGENCY. IF YOU ARE IN THE PATH
OF THIS LARGE AND DESTRUCTIVE TORNADO...TAKE COVER IMMEDIATELY.

THE SAFEST PLACE TO BE DURING A TORNADO IS IN A BASEMENT. IF NO
BASEMENT IS AVAILABLE...GO TO THE LOWEST FLOOR OF THE BUILDING IN AN
INTERIOR HALLWAY OR ROOM. GET UNDER STURDY FURNITURE OR USE BLANKETS
OR PILLOWS TO COVER YOUR BODY.

IF IN MOBILE HOMES OR VEHICLES...EVACUATE THEM AND GET INSIDE A
SUBSTANTIAL SHELTER. IF NO SHELTER IS AVAILABLE...LIE FLAT IN THE
NEAREST DITCH OR OTHER LOW SPOT.

More here:

https://www.weather.gov/ind/sept20_2002tor

• Like 1

It's waaaaay out there, but nice hit in the eastern sub from Invest 98l on the 12z GFS.  

The anticipated synoptic pattern should be conducive for a north or northeast motion near/after landfall, so I think it would have to make landfall along the Gulf to have any shot of impacting part of the sub.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

It's waaaaay out there, but nice hit in the eastern sub from Fiona on the 12z GFS.  

The anticipated synoptic pattern should be conducive for a north or northeast motion near/after landfall, so I think it would have to make landfall along the Gulf to have any shot of impacting part of the sub.

I'm guessing you mean Hermine?   Though with the way things are going in the eastern Atlantic 98L might end up being Ian or even Julia

Saw something really weird just a few minutes ago on a dog walk. It looked like a bunch of stars moving in a single line at a very quick pace, like several times faster than planes seem to travel in the sky. They were all very faintly connected by an extremely thin white line. Was only visible for a few seconds before vanishing behind nearby showers. Any ideas? Debris entering the atmosphere or something? 

1 minute ago, Malacka11 said:

Saw something really weird just a few minutes ago on a dog walk. It looked like a bunch of stars moving in a single line at a very quick pace, like several times faster than planes seem to travel in the sky. They were all very faintly connected by an extremely thin white line. Was only visible for a few seconds before vanishing behind nearby showers. Any ideas? Debris entering the atmosphere or something? 

It was a line of starlink satellites

1 hour ago, Chicago Storm said:

I'll be down there in a week and a half. 

Wish timing lined up better for me.

i lived there a few years ago when Irma came through. 95% of people seemed to have evacuated.  Nobody on the roads, Interstate 75 southbound lanes were converted to northbound. all tolls were waived (that'd never happen in Illinois!).  The winds were down to 100 when they reached my part of the area since it came onshore earlier than expected further south. it was amazing to see how well everything held up.  only some fence panels were blown over and signs outside gas stations were busted, but mother nature handled it well. no downed trees that I saw. it was cool leaning into the wind-driven rain at 2:30am wish it'd have come through during daylight.  it was intense!

5 hours ago, Hoosier said:

I have nothing to back this up scientifically but it seems as if local wx is so boring like 90% of the time when a hurricane is making landfall in the CONUS.

I noticed during Ian's LF that here it was dark and gloomy which isn't something I remember for other landfalling canes especially during this part of hurricane season. Not talking late Oct or Nov hurricanes though where I'm mostly under overcast or dreary wx.