Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA Fall 2022

Bubbler86

4 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

If I could nitpick, let's make it Monday PM. I'm leaving Pittsburgh at 10am on Monday. :) 

Ha, ok sold! 

But yeah, I find it hard to believe a stall there until Sunday. If it doesn't, you'd think it could get here by Sunday afternoon. Question is if it's got any juice left for rain. That high means business. 

3 minutes ago, canderson said:

Ha, ok sold! 

But yeah, I find it hard to believe a stall there until Sunday. If it doesn't, you'd think it could get here by Sunday afternoon. Question is if it's got any juice left for rain. That high means business. 

There is a precedent for this trip - 10 years ago at the end of October, there was this storm in the Atlantic by the name of Sandy. That weekend was our annual trip to Pittsburgh, and we had quite a ride coming home Monday morning in tropical storm conditions. It was "fun" coming back east through the Laurels...and yes, we saw snow on the ridges around Somerset.  

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, sauss06 said:

i'm hoping our seats at the Nats game has under cover 

If all else fails, the infield lower level concourses are wide and have unobstructed views of the game. But like @Itstrainingtime said, they've had no crowds this year so you'll have no issue moving up under the decking if necessary. It's a nice park. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Given the Nats attendance numbers the past several months, you might not have an issue finding seats under cover even if your seats aren't...

1 minute ago, canderson said:

If all else fails, the infield lower level concourses are wide and have unobstructed views of the game. But like @Itstrainingtime said, they've had no crowds this year so you'll have no issue moving up under the decking if necessary. It's a nice park. 

they're as good as the Senators :blink:

• Haha 2

Howdy y'all, just wanted to confirm that MJS still lives, as I haven't posted in a couple weeks.  Had a lot going on, between the PSU/Auburn road trip (which was awesome), then my toddler brought home a nasty bug from daycare that knocked my on my arse for a week, and the big thing, after a year and a half in this stupid market, we finally got a house.  So things have been a bit hectic but I should be around again more regularly moving forward.  Total rain for me the last couple weeks was just .29".  All eyes on Florida and then before you know it we'll be tracking snow!

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Howdy y'all, just wanted to confirm that MJS still lives, as I haven't posted in a couple weeks.  Had a lot going on, between the PSU/Auburn road trip (which was awesome), then my toddler brought home a nasty bug from daycare that knocked my on my arse for a week, and the big thing, after a year and a half in this stupid market, we finally got a house.  So things have been a bit hectic but I should be around again more regularly moving forward.  Total rain for me the last couple weeks was just .29".  All eyes on Florida and then before you know it we'll be tracking snow!

Welcome back - where's the new house? 

14 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

3 minutes ago, canderson said:

What Canderson said - are you closer or farther away from me now? 

Euro has the big high shunt Ian to the west and quickens the speed of rain into Southern PA starting early Saturday.    The SLP is over KY Sunday afternoon.   The low actually never gets sent East and dissipates/retrogrades south through early next week before making a run north again. 

On 9/26/2022 at 8:06 AM, Bubbler86 said:

Except the wind seems much worse in PA (15 years in Florida myself) 

Probably location dependent. I'm on the coast here. Over 10 years, I had never recorded winds over 40 mph in Lancaster. Within the first 6 months in FL I recorded a gust of 53.

NWS says expected worst case from Ian here is 58-73 mph.

10 minutes ago, NeffsvilleWx said:

Probably location dependent. I'm on the coast here. Over 10 years, I had never recorded winds over 40 mph in Lancaster. Within the first 6 months in FL I recorded a gust of 53.

Definitely some location dependent.  I lived in Ocala and Bradenton a combined 15 years and never had a wind gust over 60 except in Irma.     Lots of  50's with T-Storms.   Here in far southern PA I have had 3 gusts over 70 and dozens over 60 in the last 4 years but its the constant wind that is the big difference.  I played a lot of tennis in Florida and except rare occasions, the wind was not an issue.  Up here it is a constant issue as it is rare we go a week without winds in the 30's.  I would go as far to say that we have 2-3X the amount of windy days here than I did in Bradenton or Ocala. 

Best of luck down there.    I can tell you form my Irma experience that the effects on the East Coast from Miami to Jax were far understated as to what really played out.  Tens of thousands  of people on the east coast were without power for weeks.

4 hours ago, canderson said:

3 hours ago, Itstrainingtime said:

What Canderson said - are you closer or farther away from me now? 

About 2.5 miles ESE of my current location, so about an additional 5 minutes farther from you Training.  You'll be happy to know we're still Black Knights, as we're still in West Hempfield Township.  I am gaining roughly 100' in elevation though, so I expect my yearly snowfall totals to double, figure that's a fair assumption :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

About 2.5 miles ESE of my current location, so about an additional 5 minutes farther from you Training.  You'll be happy to know we're still Black Knights, as we're still in West Hempfield Township.  I am gaining roughly 100' in elevation though, so I expect my yearly snowfall totals to double, figure that's a fair assumption :D

Up on the Ironville Ridge? 

19 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Party at MJ Snowman's crib! 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, NeffsvilleWx said:

Admittedly, I don't keep accurate wind data, but I know for certain that I've had a whole lot of wind gusts over 40 mph here in Maytown. In fact, quite a few over 50 as well. That's in the past 10 years...not sure what years you were living here.

6 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Admittedly, I don't keep accurate wind data, but I know for certain that I've had a whole lot of wind gusts over 40 mph here in Maytown. In fact, quite a few over 50 as well. That's in the past 10 years...not sure what years you were living here.

I am surprised Canderson did not go into convulsions when he saw that post. Over 40 is just a normal day in the Burg. 

1 hour ago, Itstrainingtime said:

don’t get me wrong, I’m well aware of the potential in the lanco area. Was just never in the right spot at the right time.

I’m close enough to the ocean here that we get a daily sea breeze which really cuts the heat and humidity. I find it more comfortable here in the summer than in Lancaster because of it.