Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA Fall 2022

Bubbler86

1 hour ago, Bubbler86 said:

Do any Hoss' serve alcohol up here?  Imagine being the manager of a Hoss and going to a PLCB liquor license auction?  "My chopped steak customers what them a Coors Lite."

No idea. Fun story: when we first moved here a person recommended it as a good steakhouse. 

We went and left mid meal, not sure I’ve ever been to a worse chain restaurant. Ick!

• Haha 2

Holy shit the spotted lantern flies are starting to get really bad around here. They were covering one of my parents trees. My dad made something to make them stick to and there were maybe a hundred or two of them stuck to it. These things are going to cause so much economic and environmental destruction and also just the beauty of the land. Oddly they seem to only prefer certain types of trees because not a single one would go near other types my parents have. I've already heard of people losing their trees and bushes in literally one season because of how bad these things have gotten. I saw comments on some videos that these things might have made it to other parts of the country including Los Angeles. This is gonna be bad if we can't figure out something soon. The whole country could end up losing hundreds of billions of dollars per year. I know in PA alone they said we could lose $20 billion from our economy if we don't figure something out fast

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, TheDreamTraveler said:

Holy shit the spotted lantern flies are starting to get really bad around here. They were covering one of my parents trees. My dad made something to make them stick to and there were maybe a hundred or two of them stuck to it. These things are going to cause so much economic and environmental destruction and also just the beauty of the land. Oddly they seem to only prefer certain types of trees because not a single one would go near other types my parents have. I've already heard of people losing their trees and bushes in literally one season because of how bad these things have gotten. I saw comments on some videos that these things might have made it to other parts of the country including Los Angeles. This is gonna be bad if we can't figure out something soon. The whole country could end up losing hundreds of billions of dollars per year. I know in PA alone they said we could lose $20 billion from our economy if we don't figure something out fast

Their behavior is much different this year. They’re all over our house and doors and windows and trying to get inside. Not many on plants. 

My working theory is they’ve morphed and this will be the last major year we have them (SE PA has many less this year) and they’re working westward. But ya we had 8 or 9 on our car at Wegmans tonight. In a parking lot. That was never a thing the last two years. Something changed with them. 

20 minutes ago, canderson said:

Their behavior is much different this year. They’re all over our house and doors and windows and trying to get inside. Not many on plants. 

My working theory is they’ve morphed and this will be the last major year we have them (SE PA has many less this year) and they’re working westward. But ya we had 8 or 9 on our car at Wegmans tonight. In a parking lot. That was never a thing the last two years. Something changed with them. 

I didn't even know they were such a big problem until my dad told me to look closely at one of the trees a few weeks back. They blended in with the bark so well and covered it. I had no idea. Also apparently a lot of them like to hang out in the upper parts of the trees in the summer so you're less likely to notice them until Fall where they progress further down the trunk. Like I knew they were becoming an issue but I didn't know it was this bad. I remember seeing the nymphs crawling around a few years ago and trying to figure out what they were.

24 minutes ago, TheDreamTraveler said:

I didn't even know they were such a big problem until my dad told me to look closely at one of the trees a few weeks back. They blended in with the bark so well and covered it. I had no idea. Also apparently a lot of them like to hang out in the upper parts of the trees in the summer so you're less likely to notice them until Fall where they progress further down the trunk. Like I knew they were becoming an issue but I didn't know it was this bad. I remember seeing the nymphs crawling around a few years ago and trying to figure out what they were.

We prob killed 10,000 last year on my tiny city lot. Much less on our two trees this year but so many more in physical  structures.  

On 9/10/2022 at 6:49 PM, Bubbler86 said:

And it is raining.  Senators go on though. 

It didn't rain during the game at all Saturday. Sunday however, it rained the entire game. They pushed the start back to 245. Akron who has a chance to make playoffs, needed to play. 

My grass is the greenest its been since spring. I'll probably be backing to mowing twice a week.

• Like 1

Just now, sauss06 said:

It didn't rain during the game at all Saturday. Sunday however, it rained the entire game. They pushed the start back to 245. Akron who has a chance to make playoffs, needed to play. 

Yea, I saw you made it out ok Saturday night...the rain only made it up to MD. VA and far southern PA by that point.

• Like 1