• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
New England heavy rain event Sept 5/6 2022. Does this end the summer drought?

wxeyeNH

39 minutes ago, dendrite said:

12" in 60 days is a once a year occurrence?

It's been close to that here.  Annual precip is 48.75" and I'd guess that Dracut is a bit higher.  In our 24 years here, we've had 21 such discrete "couplets", with 14 years having at least one (2008 had 3 and there's been no Dec-Jan pairs), though only one occurrence since 2014.  By discrete I mean no overlaps - if 4 consecutive months had 6,8,7,6 inches, only 1st/2nd and 3rd/4th would count, not 2nd/3rd.  Totals for pairs have ranged from 12.01" to 22.18", this latter Oct-Nov 2005.

7 minutes ago, tamarack said:

It's been close to that here.  Annual precip is 48.75" and I'd guess that Dracut is a bit higher.  In our 24 years here, we've had 21 such discrete "couplets", with 14 years having at least one (2008 had 3 and there's been no Dec-Jan pairs), though only one occurrence since 2014.  By discrete I mean no overlaps - if 4 consecutive months had 6,8,7,6 inches, only 1st/2nd and 3rd/4th would count, not 2nd/3rd.  Totals for pairs have ranged from 12.01" to 22.18", this latter Oct-Nov 2005.

Lowell is a bit lower than that...48ish.  CON normal is 42". MHT 41". Definitely more doable near the coast than in the valley.

Some of the return intervals shouldn't be taken literally.  Headlines about 1000 yr storms all the time, while arguably fair in a larger point about increasing precip totals, don't necessarily mean that storms like that are really that rare.  DFW for example just had one but it was not the biggest 24hr total on record and has had like 5x 1000 yr storms in the last 100 years.   High end variability at all sites is not equal.   

With that being said, some of the totals and short timescale accumulations noted here are truly exceptional and historic.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, wxeyeNH said:

This summer people kept saying drought begets drought.  The Dallas event and this event shows that areas in very series drought can still get inches of rain in a few hours.

Yeah a lot of that is overblown for most.  There may be some areas in the west central plains or something for whom a lack of evapotranspiration from decreased surface moisture really does notably affect their precip chances and you start getting dust entrained afloft.  But for those with oceanic influence, Dallas included, none of that matters too much once the atmosphere aligns properly to deliver moisture.  PWATs were through the roof in the Texas event, and in this event as well.

4 minutes ago, radarman said:

Yeah a lot of that is overblown for most.  There may be some areas in the west central plains or something for whom a lack of evapotranspiration from decreased surface moisture really does notably affect their precip chances and you start getting dust entrained afloft.  But for those with oceanic influence, Dallas included, none of that matters too much once the atmosphere aligns properly to deliver moisture.  PWATs were through the roof in the Texas event, and in this event as well.

I cringe when I see mets saying that. 

End is visible ...  She's breakin' up on radar.

Other than that RI events yesterday and some sporadic CT, this was handled pretty well over all by guidance.   The convective totaling in those monstrous local scales ... not really in the purview of modeling skill the general 1.5 to 4" coverage however, is, and that was done pretty good.  I'd say the GFS came in behind the Euro overall.