• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
New England heavy rain event Sept 5/6 2022. Does this end the summer drought?

wxeyeNH

18 minutes ago, dendrite said:

It's very wrong up here.

Did you notice that sudden collapse south of the northern edge up your way. I saw that an hr ago and thought it was just local mt eddy or something but it’s unilaterally along the entire length of the shield …

Maybe that halts? But was that modeled to do that - if it doesn’t stop collapsing we’re done even down here by 2 o 3am

12 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

No thanks. Send it Brett’s way…he’s hanging on by his last full finger nail. 

1.68” for the day so far, intensity picked up the last 30min. Not looking good for dry basements in wct.

1.10" for the day here, thankfully we live on a hill, in the valley. Plus the sandy soil allows for excellent drainage. No basement worries here, at least for now.

Just now, CoastalWx said:

May need to buy that little jack in SW CT. 

Hate to waste the precip jack during the warm season....

2 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Did you notice that sudden collapse south of the northern edge up your way. I saw that an hr ago and thought it was just local mt eddy or something but it’s unilaterally along the entire length of the shield …

Maybe that halts? But was that modeled to do that - if it doesn’t stop collapsing we’re done even down here by 2 o 3am

It's modeled to bounce back, but I'm not feeling confident about it. We actually have our steadiest -RA that we've had for hours right now.

Hammer time is a good indication of a synoptic setup.  SW to NE arcing banding from BGM-UCA-ALB-DDH-CON... with the hammer handle echoes going SSW to NNE and blossoming on an upslope/mesoscale level.

Anytime you see the hammer form its a sign of a strengthening/consolidating event.  Moisture streaming northward and deforming.

Sept5_HammerTime.thumb.jpg.a61826ae124827a4f9a264865e219047.jpg

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, bristolri_wx said:

Yes… correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t there some math and physics that show that as temperature drops the amount of water vapor that can be contained in the atmosphere is reduced? So you could never get 9” of rain in a twelve hour span when temps are that low…

It is true that colder air does not hold as much as warmer air. However George was talking about the giant rains that came out of completely different kinematics that are non- akin entirely to those mechanics associated to snow.

It’s comparing incomparable processes. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Trying to figure out what/where that feature might be, the best I can come up with is the 700 mb boundary. RAP forecasts it to sag south like this, but re-establishes itself farther north overnight as WAA really kicks in. It is farther south than even the 00z run had it though.

6 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

1.10" for the day here, thankfully we live on a hill, in the valley. Plus the sandy soil allows for excellent drainage. No basement worries here, at least for now.

Hate to waste the precip jack during the warm season....

My neighbor just finished a regrading project around his house. The Floods from last Aug (Irene?) put 6” down there.   I’ll check with him in the morning how it’s holding up. 

14 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Trying to figure out what/where that feature might be, the best I can come up with is the 700 mb boundary. RAP forecasts it to sag south like this, but re-establishes itself farther north overnight as WAA really kicks in. It is farther south than even the 00z run had it though.

Interesting yeah. 

- there’s also an interesting band of enhancement behaving independent of the general motion of rad over NE Mass. I’ve been using COD, … which isn’t very good of course. But it’s been wobbling like a BD boundary.  I checked sfc obs and there’s no obvious indication of a boundary even though it wobbled SW into that position a couple hours ago. 

Seeing the pics and reports reminded me of living in RI for March 2010. I doubt anything will ever come close to that flooding event in RI. That was awful. Governor Carcieri calling is a "once in a 500 year event." A week straight of gridlock on major roads and highways because of closed roads, running pumps and shop-vacs for days on end without sleep. That was from two 6"+ events in a week span if I remember correctly.  

4 hours ago, PowderBeard said:

Seeing the pics and reports reminded me of living in RI for March 2010. I doubt anything will ever come close to that flooding event in RI. That was awful. Governor Carcieri calling is a "once in a 500 year event." A week straight of gridlock on major roads and highways because of closed roads, running pumps and shop-vacs for days on end without sleep. That was from two 6"+ events in a week span if I remember correctly.  

This is what happened in that event. If we weren't in a drought this current rain event would have been almost as bad!

Beginning with a Feb. 23-24 storm, the National Weather Service registered 4 inches of rainfall on its Warwick rain gauge. Another quarter of an inch fell between March 1-4 and from March 13-15 and March 22-23 the gauge logged another 3.7 and 3.4 inches, respectively. Add to that amount the 8.8 inches of rain that fell between March 29 and April 1, and Rhode Island was soaked by a total of 20.15 inches of rain in just 38 days.

Under a flood warning now. Went by one of the places that typically floods in heavy rain. Was just starting to flood the street when I went by this morning on my way to work. Hard to see puddles in the road. Raining along with construction and barriers damming water. Ride in sucked this morning. Gave myself plenty of time.