• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
New England heavy rain event Sept 5/6 2022. Does this end the summer drought?

wxeyeNH

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Right. His dream is impossible. 

Yes… correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t there some math and physics that show that as temperature drops the amount of water vapor that can be contained in the atmosphere is reduced? So you could never get 9” of rain in a twelve hour span when temps are that low…

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, bristolri_wx said:

Yes… correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t there some math and physics that show that as temperature drops the amount of water vapor that can be contained in the atmosphere is reduced? So you could never get 9” of rain in a twelve hour span when temps are that low…

You are correct…at least not around these parts. 

2 minutes ago, bristolri_wx said:

Absolutely but synoptically we can get this setup with obviously less moisture 

10 minutes ago, bristolri_wx said:

Correct. The whole “imagine is this were snow..” won’t happen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Off to bed. Not a bad day, but honestly kind of disappointing. Unreal that RI stuff never made it here all day. We’ll see if we can crawl to an inch by the end of the day tomorrow.

Heh, I’ve been in that situation more than a few times when in the winter the heavy snow is just east, or south etc etc…we all know the disappointment to well. 

15 minutes ago, bristolri_wx said:

Yeah that seems right, would still be a lot of snow with the same setup in winter but nowhere near 9 feet. Unfortunately, science won’t let my dream become reality haha. What you are describing is why late winter/early spring storms when we get them can be really big. It can be tough to do due to climo, but if we get a well timed cold blast, that combined with a lot more moisture to work with due to the warmer ocean temps can lead to some very big storms (March 1993, April fools blizzard).

Pretty interesting how all day long the HRRR has moved the highest-end localized totals back to the SW along the boundary.

The strongest convergence along that axis keeps heading west with time after hitting areas further northeast. The amounts were realized elsewhere, it should line up somewhere in SW CT.

It started over NE MA early this morning, moved into far NE CT/S.MA, then PVD and east-central CT, and now progged to shift west into the southern CT/NY border region.

BF020269-5FE1-4A34-A3F6-1F252FAE8C78.thumb.png.c04a99e30f612c94ad1c1ba330f5eed7.png

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, George001 said:

Yeah that seems right, would still be a lot of snow with the same setup in winter but nowhere near 9 feet. Unfortunately, science won’t let my dream become reality haha. What you are describing is why late winter/early spring storms when we get them can be really big. It can be tough to do due to climo, but if we get a well timed cold blast, that combined with a lot more moisture to work with due to the warmer ocean temps can lead to some very big storms (March 1993, April fools blizzard).

That 9" wasn't even the same precipitation process. Apples to oranges all the way around.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Pretty interesting how all day long the HRRR has moved the highest-end localized totals back to the SW along the boundary.

The strongest convergence along that axis keeps heading west with time after hitting areas further northeast. The amounts were realized elsewhere, it should line up somewhere in SW CT.

It started over NE MA early this morning, moved into far NE CT/S.MA, then PVD and east-central CT, and now progged to shift west into the southern CT/NY border region.

BF020269-5FE1-4A34-A3F6-1F252FAE8C78.thumb.png.c04a99e30f612c94ad1c1ba330f5eed7.png

No thanks. Send it Brett’s way…he’s hanging on by his last full finger nail. 

1.68” for the day so far, intensity picked up the last 30min. Not looking good for dry basements in wct.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

No thanks. Send it Brett’s way…he’s hanging on by his last full finger nail. 

2 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Brett won't be satisfied until his sump pump kicks on. Then he can bitch about too much water again.

Lol… I think we could see ginx level rain here and the sump pump wouldn’t kick on. Water table is low.

I was hoping for a few inches, but will take what I can get. Enough to at least get the grass a good drink. Won’t do much for groundwater and lakes and streams though.