• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New England heavy rain event Sept 5/6 2022. Does this end the summer drought?

wxeyeNH

35 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

We had that general area CT into RI. Of course you can’t nail exactly. 

True, it was “South of the Pike” for heaviest amounts type of look in the warm sector.

A huge shield of rain has been in place all day long from PA into NY state and across southern NNE and northern SNE.  Guess that’s called CNE lol.

It may show how boring the summer weather has been, but this event has captured me.  It’ll be interesting to see how it plays out.

Meteorologically it’s got the deeper layer synoptic lift from mid-level fronto and lifting of moist southwesterly flow aloft… then also very strong lower level lift with 850mb to surface winds turning ESE into the surface frontal boundary.

Synoptic scale and mesoscale.  Intriguing. Another 15+ hours at least to go too. 

3D1E2F04-3CCB-4CF0-8D2E-5EEA4C7D661A.gif.4bf1dc7ceaab07251fbfecc9fc66d8e1.gif

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

True, it was “South of the Pike” for heaviest amounts type of look in the warm sector.

A huge shield of rain has been in place all day long from PA into NY state and across southern NNE and northern SNE.  Guess that’s called CNE lol.

It may show how boring the summer weather has been, but this event has captured me.  It’ll be interesting to see how it plays out.

Meteorologically it’s got the deeper layer synoptic lift from mid-level fronto and lifting of moist southwesterly flow aloft… then also very strong lower level lift with 850mb to surface winds turning ESE into the surface frontal boundary.

Synoptic scale and mesoscale.  Intriguing. Another 15+ hours at least to go too. 

3D1E2F04-3CCB-4CF0-8D2E-5EEA4C7D661A.gif.4bf1dc7ceaab07251fbfecc9fc66d8e1.gif

Mmm. The synoptics are part of this but they are weak.

Mostly weak synoptics operating on huge PWAT, modulated locally by convection 

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Thats crazy.  7” is wild in that short a duration.  Same for Ginxy’s area.  Super impressive. That’s not a bad radar estimate.

I'm at 6.62. Looking at the radar through CT 10" isn't out of the question. Made up for the whole rain deficit in this are in 8 hours. I'm 61 and have been living here my whole life. Seen rain amounts like this more than a few times in 24 to 36 hours but this amount in less than half a day not even close. The first downpour the rain rate was 5.34 for about 5 minutes. it was absolutely defining. Closed my pool Saturday. Said yesterday maybe I should put the cover pump on the cover. Glad I did!!!

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

never seen it this dry in all my years here.   Getting some steady light rains now....

It was brutally(record breaking) dry two years ago here…this year not even close to that.  Showers have hit here regularly(gotten fortunate), not alot of precip, but enough to do the job.  

This is gonna bust any deficit here I believe. 

15 minutes ago, Vinny Findley said:

I'm at 6.62. Looking at the radar through CT 10" isn't out of the question. Made up for the whole rain deficit in this are in 8 hours. I'm 61 and have been living here my whole life. Seen rain amounts like this more than a few times in 24 to 36 hours but this amount in less than half a day not even close. The first downpour the rain rate was 5.34 for about 5 minutes. it was absolutely defining. Closed my pool Saturday. Said yesterday maybe I should put the cover pump on the cover. Glad I did!!!

Same here. 2010 had 10 inches spread out over 36 hrs. Today was historic for me 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Mmm. The synoptics are part of this but they are weak.

Mostly weak synoptics operating on huge PWAT, modulated locally by convection 

Yeah it's no winter-time fronto gradient or mid-level lift on relatively dry air mass... but it's enough widespread air upgliding in a moisture rich environment for a huge swath of 0.50-1.50" water on the PWS map from southern PA up through southwest ME?

It's a very large scale soaking rainfall so far with more to come. I guess was what I was going for with the synoptic aspect.

• Like 2

Just now, powderfreak said:

Yeah it's no winter-time fronto gradient or mid-level lift on relatively dry air mass... but it's enough widespread air upgliding in a moisture rich environment for a huge swath of 0.50-1.50" water on PWS from southern PA up through southwest ME?

It's a very large scale soaking rainfall so far with more to come I guess was what I was going for with the synoptic aspect.

Good analysis. This is the type of setup in winter where moist air flows out of the Gulf inflows from the Atlantic   its 61 in Pittsburgh 47 in NYC 23 at BDL and 5 at Stowe. Man can't wait for this winter 

• Like 4
  • Weenie 1