• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
New England heavy rain event Sept 5/6 2022. Does this end the summer drought?

wxeyeNH

Zone forecast is so innocuous while  P/C calling for 1-2 overnight and 1-2 tomorrow.

Tonight
Showers. Lows around 60. East winds around 5 mph. Chance of rain 90 percent.
Tuesday
Showers. Highs in the mid 60s. East winds 5 to 10 mph with gusts up to 20 mph. Chance of rain 90 percent.
Tuesday Night
Cloudy with a 50 percent chance of showers. Lows in the upper 50s. Northeast winds 5 to 10 mph. Gusts up to 20 mph in the evening.

6 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Average recurrence interval is 200 years at PVD for 2 hours at 4.4 inches and 3 hour at 5.13 inches. Amounts near that have been observed.

I'm not sure exactly what that means--is this a statistical estimation?  Since we only have about 1.5 200 year-intervals to observe, I'm a little confused.   I would think tropical systems may do that more frequently than every 200 years.

.75"

4 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

I'm not sure exactly what that means--is this a statistical estimation?  Since we only have about 1.5 200 year-intervals to observe, I'm a little confused.   I would think tropical systems may do that more frequently than every 200 years.

.75"

It's a statistical analysis (which is why they also give 90% confidence interval bounds, i.e. 3.5 to 7 inches for 3 hours). In the most basic terms they take the period of record and look at annual max values at each time interval for a region. From there they use statistics to establish the range for each time interval and location (like I think RI shows no statistical difference in amounts between each location so they are all the same values).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Sn0waddict said:

0.00 still in Milford. 

CAPE and instability, especially across
Connecticut, will allow for isolated thunderstorms into early this evening, before CAPE weakens. Precipitable water values remain around 2 inches, and with a combination of relatively slow moving storms and possibly training storms, could lead to locally higher rainfall totals. A shortwave approaches late tonight along the frontal boundary to the west, and this will spin up a weak surface low. This will enhance lift across the region late tonight and continuing into Tuesday afternoon as the upper shortwave and surface low track south of Long Island. Precipitable water remains around 2 inches, and the highest rainfall totals will be possible during the day Tuesday.

&&

• Thanks 1