• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
New England heavy rain event Sept 5/6 2022. Does this end the summer drought?

wxeyeNH

3 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

The location more often than not was not particularly accurate, but the amounts were the key. If they were showing up in your CWA, you should sit up and pay attention to the threat. 

Rarely do these significant rainfall events occur without some heads up from guidance these days.

Right. Models aren't going to be able to pick out exact locations for something like this. It'll be interesting to see how close we get to maximizing potential. BOX just took their forecast up to 4-6" across much of central and eastern CT. 

The images out of parts of RI are pretty crazy right now. 

11 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Cranston is literally going to be KY flooding soon. 5+” already 

I'm in Cranston about a quarter mile east of 295. KRICRANS8 on Wundermap. I'm at 3.65 right now. Flash flood warning popped up on my phone about 10 minutes ago. The 3.65 is since 1:00. I don't know where the 5" in Cranston is! Looking at all the weather stations on Wundermap I don't see anything above 4" all across Cranston. Hope it's not going to do this into sunrise tomorrow. We'll be close to 10" and have major flooding!

• Like 3

This is like classic tropical rain though. Z is mostly moderate across RI right now, ZDR on the lower side (~1-2 db), and KDP around 1 deg/km. Now KDP around 1 or 2 can be either heavy continental rain or heavy tropical rain. The giveaway is ZDR. Large continental drops would be large ZDR (flatter than they are round), but tropical raindrops stay close to 1 or 2 db as they are smaller and more spherical. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

This is like classic tropical rain though. Z is mostly moderate across RI right now, ZDR on the lower side (~1-2 db), and KDP around 1 deg/km. Now KDP around 1 or 2 can be either heavy continental rain or heavy tropical rain. The giveaway is ZDR. Large continental drops would be large ZDR (flatter than they are round), but tropical raindrops stay close to 1 or 2 db as they are smaller and more spherical. 

Warm cloud processes ftw.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Vinny Findley said:

I'm in Cranston about a quarter mile east of 295. KRICRANS8 on Wundermap. I'm at 3.65 right now. Flash flood warning popped up on my phone about 10 minutes ago. The 3.65 is since 1:00. I don't know where the 5" in Cranston is! Looking at all the weather stations on Wundermap I don't see anything above 4" all across Cranston. Hope it's not going to do this into sunrise tomorrow. We'll be close to 10" and have major flooding!

Not in Cranston, but farther to your west going toward Foster there are multiple stations with 4.2-4.7". There is a sharp cutoff to the heaviest totals in your area.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

Cranston seems to flood so easily. Must have a horrific drainage system 

Especially that eastern part of town is relatively flat and kind of historic meandering river/stream drainage from the higher terrain north and west. Couple that with the sprawl of concrete from Providence and you have a recipe for flooding.

• Like 1

Just now, WxWatcher007 said:

Can't really tell either. That's not a bad hook on radar for CT. 

Its a nice hook signature but I thought the rotation was relatively weak. I'm leaning towards not a TDS signature as it's a nit displaced from the rotation but the low CC's are also like right on the edge of the storm