Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
New England Met Fall 2022 Banter

HoarfrostHubb

4 hours ago, tamarack said:

Thanks.  The tick population is to the point that when I come in from the woods, it's not "if" but "how many".  They've long passed yellowjackets as my unfavoritest insect, despite my sting history from the latter being well over 100.

In NW MA April - May and Oct - Nov are brutal for ticks.  I've had many bites over the years but thankfully caught all of them early.

I feel like it's a when not if for getting a tick born illness.  Hope you have a fast recovery!

• Like 3

11 hours ago, tamarack said:

Pin oak?  The ones planted in Farmington hold more brown leaves than any other trees.

In other news, all the ticks I've carried finally had an effect.  I'd been feeling quite blah for several days, then on Tuesday morning I had a dizzy spell that led to a meatwagon ride to the ER and loads of tests.  Yesterday I learned that I was positive for anaplasmosis, so now I'm on doxycycline - same chemical used against Lyme (for which I was negative).  More follow-up, but I was actually glad for the diagnosis, as at my age there could be many other possible (and less treatable) causes for my malaise.

Get well soon Tom, I've plucked off over a dozen of those buggers the last 2 weeks.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tamarack said:

Thanks.  The tick population is to the point that when I come in from the woods, it's not "if" but "how many".  They've long passed yellowjackets as my unfavoritest insect, despite my sting history from the latter being well over 100.

Do you treat your clothes before you go out? They also have hunting clothes that are treated so you went get ticks.

55 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

Can't buy it in Mass so I bought some when I was in Maine. Problem is its poison for cats so if you have cats you have to be real careful.

Our cat can get into most anything.  Thanks for the warning. 
The chemical is quite powerful and is on the Forest Stewardship Council's Highly Hazardous Pesticides list.  A few years back (before I retired), I had to check on FSC's opinions to ensure we (Parks and Lands) wouldn't lose our certification of sustainability for its use.  Since it's applied on clothes, and it's done off-site, FSC said that use was fine - good thing given Maine's high per-capita Lyme disease rate and the extensive tick exposure common to field foresters.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cyclone-68 said:

Hi everyone. Just having a discussion with a friend about tornadoes and he asked why Louisiana seems to not get tornadoes past EF3?. Can anyone speculate why that is? Thx 

I'm not well-versed with their tornado climatology, however, my thinking on this is...

Typically, in order to get strong/violent tornadoes you need sufficient low-level instability and robust wind shear, both changing of wind speed with height and changing of direction with height). You also need the most intense ingredients to overlap. Of course having a discrete storm mode helps significantly too. 

when you look at how these weather systems evolve which produce these outbreaks in the south, more times than not the system is beginning to evolve in the southern Plains so Louisiana tends to be on the "earlier side" of system generation and strengthening. given this, it is very difficult to maximize and juxtapose all the ingredients at their peak. 

This could be totally wrong but that would be my guess. 

• Like 4

On 11/28/2022 at 10:40 AM, TalcottWx said:

Nice upgrade in elevation, close to where I am now. I'll save my pennies.  @CoastalWx @Damage In Tolland

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/29-Hoffmann-Rd_Canton_CT_06019_M37617-23422

Best neighborhood in Canton for large houses and elevation lol, my family developed that subdivision when I was in high school… all custom homes over 4000 sqft and some awesome views 

• Like 2