Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
New England Met Fall 2022 Banter

HoarfrostHubb

6 hours ago, dryslot said:

I'm guessing my neighbor is not liking her yard this morning that faces NW in back of my oaks, I see all my leaves up against her fence and my lawn does not have even one on it with winds gusting frequently from the NW in the 40 mph range overnight.

Over half my leaves are from my neighbors' trees, they're right against the stone wall, I keep my yard clear right up to the wall, they don't.

• Like 1

On 11/8/2022 at 1:19 AM, dmcginvt said:

I've read elsewhere that leaving 'some' leaves can be good for the lawn but leaving all the leaves can smother it.  Not said in that (forgotten by me) source is that trying to rake the packed-down leaves once the snow is gone would be difficult to do without tearing up the soft-at-that-season turf.  A layer of leaves might be good for the little invertebrates but that would include ticks.  :fulltilt:

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, tamarack said:

I've read elsewhere that leaving 'some' leaves can be good for the lawn but leaving all the leaves can smother it.  Not said in that (forgotten by me) source is that trying to rake the packed-down leaves once the snow is gone would be difficult to do without tearing up the soft-at-that-season turf.  A layer of leaves might be good for the little invertebrates but that would include ticks.  :fulltilt:

I have 4 kids, their health always comes before the "look" of my yard, no chemicals and tick prevention, rake all the leaves and cut the grass pretty low before winter sets in. Otherwise I would leave the leaves go and let nature do what it does with them....

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Spanks45 said:

I have 4 kids, their health always comes before the "look" of my yard, no chemicals and tick prevention, rake all the leaves and cut the grass pretty low before winter sets in. Otherwise I would leave the leaves go and let nature do what it does with them....

We use Natural Lawn for tick control. They use an organic mix mostly comprised of cedar oil. Before we started the program in May, I found several ticks on my dog and myself working outside in April. When I made the decision, we were a month or two behind but I never found another tick when the program was in full swing. Worth every penny imo.

Anyone here live on line a small side street that pays for their own plowing? 

we have a plow guy who has done our streets for years. I haven’t been able to get ahold of anyone for a quote just to compare.

he charges 120 per 2 inches and 105 per inch after 10”. 2 small streets, 14 houses.

Salt and sand treatment 220 per treatment 

1 hour ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Anyone here live on line a small side street that pays for their own plowing? 

we have a plow guy who has done our streets for years. I haven’t been able to get ahold of anyone for a quote just to compare.

he charges 120 per 2 inches and 105 per inch after 10”. 2 small streets, 14 houses.

Salt and sand treatment 220 per treatment 

A little after we bought our house we were informed that it was not on a public road (our mistake). The person who built the houses had been paying for plowing but was stopping. We then had to band together and hire a plow until we figured out how to get it approved as a town road.  

The whole process sucked.  Some neighbors refused to pay for the plow but we had to get it plowed.   The town dragged their feet. 

it eventually worked out but oof.  

I don’t envy you

7 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

A little after we bought our house we were informed that it was not on a public road (our mistake). The person who built the houses had been paying for plowing but was stopping. We then had to band together and hire a plow until we figured out how to get it approved as a town road.  

The whole process sucked.  Some neighbors refused to pay for the plow but we had to get it plowed.   The town dragged their feet. 

it eventually worked out but oof.  

I don’t envy you

Yeah, this is a private street, the town doesn’t/won’t maintain it, it’s in all the documents from when they built the subdivision. ( Funny how we all still pay full taxes though, but that’s a story for another day).

So we have an “association” $625 per year per household covers plowing, road repair, and insurance on the ~25 acres that we for some reason own around all the houses.

We don’t have any issues, everyone knows they have to pay it, it is what it is at this point 

• Like 1

The Lahaina fire is still slowly ongoing.  The first two nights ended up being a pretty cool/scary experience. 

Came creeping down the mountain:
12.jpg

It grew into a 1-2 mile wide inferno that came ridiculously close to the edge of town. 

13.jpg

There was so much smoke in the hotel that I was afraid the fire alarms would go off. Ash was raining down.  Pretty surreal to see the restaurants packed with people happily dining outside by the bright orange glow and live music. Between songs you could hear plenty of coughing and hear distant smoke alarms. It was really hard to sleep... the smell of smoke just does not let your brain relax.

The fire slowed down overnight, but sprouted again the following afternoon in random spots all over a 2 square mile area.  Made for a pretty intense scene from my evening cruise.  The smoke was a lot worse that night.

fire.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, eekuasepinniW said:

The Lahaina fire is still slowly ongoing.  The first two nights ended up being a pretty cool/scary experience. 

Came creeping down the mountain:
12.jpg

It grew into a 1-2 mile wide inferno that came ridiculously close to the edge of town. 

13.jpg

There was so much smoke in the hotel that I was afraid the fire alarms would go off. Ash was raining down.  Pretty surreal to see the restaurants packed with people happily dining outside by the bright orange glow and live music. Between songs you could hear plenty of coughing and hear distant smoke alarms. It was really hard to sleep... the smell of smoke just does not let your brain relax.

The fire slowed down overnight, but sprouted again the following afternoon in random spots all over a 2 square mile area.  Made for a pretty intense scene from my evening cruise.  The smoke was a lot worse that night.

fire.jpg

My parents are there too right now…. same exact spot.  They sent this photo a couple days ago while driving around the area.

55F074E6-8870-4553-8DFB-54A933E6E2D1.thumb.jpeg.786b74eb04d6e0a814dba93cd5066ccb.jpeg

• Like 2