Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
New England Met Fall 2022 Banter

HoarfrostHubb

3 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Who said we shouldn't mitigate? Just think it's funny those dirt cellar peeps lived so long.

Houses, basements, windows and doors weren't built so tight back then. 

We worked on a house a couple of years ago that had tested at 6.1 and cracking a sliding basement window about a 1/4" dropped it to 2.4 in a couple of days. Newer houses are like thermos bottles compared to dirt floor era.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, hammerz_nailz said:

We worked on a house a couple of years ago that had tested at 6.1 and cracking a sliding basement window about a 1/4" dropped it to 2.4 in a couple of days. Newer houses are like thermos bottles compared to dirt floor era.

True

7 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

I am sitting on ledge and needed a mitigation system put in by the previous owners before we passed papers. Many have it. 

Brett, is there a lot of ledge there? 

I don’t think so? I can’t be 100% sure though. I was told that when they were building these houses they were stunned at how rocky and hard the ground was for basically being in the hockomock.

1 hour ago, hammerz_nailz said:

Yup. My house is a couple years old and there is basically no air flow unless we open doors or windows. 

19 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

It is.  Houses have to be built nowadays to be virtually airtight and they have a "whole-house" ventilation setup that exchanges the outside air with the inside.  It's part of the IECC.

It's done very efficiently as well usually with a heat recover ventilator that's like 85-95% efficient. So even when its like 20 degrees out in the winter the outside air being brought in is like 67 degrees if the house is 70. The only energy consumption is the fan. It does the same in the summer.  Its common to filter that air being brought in as well. 

I don't think people realize how important air sealing a house is with today's energy costs. Bad or no insulation is a fraction of the heat loss of what 5 degree air being driven into your house on gusy nw winds is. It sucks incredible amounts of heat out of your house. A lot of old houses have the equivalent air leakage of basically like a 4x4 hole in their house. 

1 hour ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

It is.  Houses have to be built nowadays to be virtually airtight and they have a "whole-house" ventilation setup that exchanges the outside air with the inside.  It's part of the IECC.

I understand that but a bathroom fan?  It's not a specialized air exchanger type thing?

3 hours ago, mreaves said:

I understand that but a bathroom fan?  It's not a specialized air exchanger type thing?

2 hours ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

It's just easier/cost effective to do it that way for a contractor.

https://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/article/multi-speed-bath-fans-for-whole-house-ventilation

It’s in our spare bathroom which doubles as the laundry room. It’s a lot bigger than an average bathroom.

It’s not loud, and ours is only one speed and it’s been on since we moved in. You get used to it after a while honestly, don’t even notice it.

On 11/4/2022 at 8:13 AM, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Well I should mention we have a bathroom fan that runs 24/7 per code 

On 11/4/2022 at 9:31 AM, CoastalWx said:

24/7?? Wow. Never heard that as being code, but I guess it is.

Ha I thought he was joking… as in the bathroom fan runs 24/7 per my wife’s code.

• Haha 3

Is there a simple weather "station" (really just after temperature readings) that can be read remotely?  Family has a camp on Tug Hill and we currently do not even have a functioning outside temperature gauge.  Love to get something simple, but something that we could read from home.  Camp has wifi and cell service which would probably be needed.  Don't really want to spend hundreds on an unloadable weather station, and camp is not in a good location for wind readings.  Love it to be able to be "read" from multiple phones, but if only 1 that would work too.

23 minutes ago, Flying MXZ said:

Is there a simple weather "station" (really just after temperature readings) that can be read remotely?  Family has a camp on Tug Hill and we currently do not even have a functioning outside temperature gauge.  Love to get something simple, but something that we could read from home.  Camp has wifi and cell service which would probably be needed.  Don't really want to spend hundreds on an unloadable weather station, and camp is not in a good location for wind readings.  Love it to be able to be "read" from multiple phones, but if only 1 that would work too.

Check here, You should be able to find one,  https://ambientweather.com/

47 minutes ago, Flying MXZ said:

23 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Check here, You should be able to find one,  https://ambientweather.com/

Yep. I have an Ambient and it has worked well.  I replaced the batteries after about 18 months.