Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
New England Met Fall 2022 Banter

HoarfrostHubb

12 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Majority of Pats fans last season thought they found Tohm’s replacement, so did the ‘experts’.  It’s year 2 and he played pretty well as a rookie. It usually takes three years to take the leap so I’d be a little more patient. Plus, it’s not like the Pats have offensive coaching guru’s, Patricia and Judge lol, and are loaded with receiving talent. 

I didn't catch this facet but the guys on Football Outsiders did.  In the 1st halves both this week and last, every time the QB was under center it was a run; every shotgun a pass.  Against the Bears they did a complete reversal for the 2nd half, which CHI immediately caught on, with disastrous results for NE.  Hard to run a competent offense when you're telegraphing run or pass to the D.  At least they varied a bit from that stupidity in yesterday's 2nd half.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ROOSTA said:

DO NOT LOOK AT THE L/R OPERATIONAL GFS.

And so it begins, a threat of snow over a wide area in SNE. 
Should garner a topic thread if subsequent runs continue to show.

That has shown up a couple of times for around Nov 12.   If it is still appearing in a week maybe get a thread going for it...  good luck 

6 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

That has shown up a couple of times for around Nov 12.   If it is still appearing in a week maybe get a thread going for it...  good luck 

I'll still be basking in the 80's. Always a thrill to see at least the threat.
Transitional Seasons are the best.
I don't think the tropics are done.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Anyone ever Radon test their home?

We got results and it’s 2.9

That's not too high but if you're worried look into radon remediation, a lot of new homes put them in no matter what since they're cheap at the time of construction. Not sure of the cost in an existing home.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

That's not too high but if you're worried look into radon remediation, a lot of new homes put them in no matter what since they're cheap at the time of construction. Not sure of the cost in an existing home.

It looks like they may be able to remediate from the existing sump pit?

We are going to do another more extensive round of testing to see what the results are before we make any decisions. 

I did this test in the utility room on the ground floor with the sump pit and exposed French drain, so hopefully that was the worst area.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

A history of tainted Halloween candy from a CNN article.  As I said last week, very few incidents have ever actually occurred. 

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/30/health/halloween-candy-panic-conversation-wellness/index.html

And 0 incidents where it was a random trick or treater getting tainted candy.

I will continue to "check" my kids though.  How else am I supposed to get dibs on the good stuff?  

20 hours ago, Spanks45 said:

Just saw two of these beauties at the feeder today. Seem to be a rarish find down here from what I have read....

20221101_154645.jpg

During the early 1980s when the spruce budworm outbreak was killing fir and spruce in Maine, there were bazillions of those birds as their population exploded due to all the extra food.  Hundreds would gather on/near the road in front of the Allagash school and swerving to miss them often resulted in more impacts than if one drove straight, thanks to how the birds reacted.  Unfortunately, evening grosbeaks were only a response to budworm rather than a control.   
They are one of the most gregarious birds around - my dad once counted 38 of them shoulder to shoulder on his 2-level feeder in Woodsville, NH.  He probably never saw more than 2 chickadees on the feeder at once; our smaller feeders are "this town ain't big enough for both of us" when it comes to chickadees.

34 minutes ago, tamarack said:

During the early 1980s when the spruce budworm outbreak was killing fir and spruce in Maine, there were bazillions of those birds as their population exploded due to all the extra food.  Hundreds would gather on/near the road in front of the Allagash school and swerving to miss them often resulted in more impacts than if one drove straight, thanks to how the birds reacted.  Unfortunately, evening grosbeaks were only a response to budworm rather than a control.   
They are one of the most gregarious birds around - my dad once counted 38 of them shoulder to shoulder on his 2-level feeder in Woodsville, NH.  He probably never saw more than 2 chickadees on the feeder at once; our smaller feeders are "this town ain't big enough for both of us" when it comes to chickadees.

Chickadees don't sit and eat at bird feeders.....they typically grab one seed and then fly to a nearby branch or perch and eat the seed there and then return to the feeder for another one. Rinse and repeat.

Titmice and nuthatches behave the same way. We have a ton of them that come to my feeders....prob seen 6-8 chickadees at once before near the feeders but typically not all on the feeder at the same time as they are in different stages of flying to and from the feeder after grabbing a seed.

Years ago, I read one theory on why those types of bird do that and it was because their beaks aren't strong enough to crack open sunflower husks, so they need to peck at it while holding it down on a branch to open it. Finches, grosbeaks, cardinals, etc all have much stronger beaks that can crack open the sunflower in one shot.

• Like 1

I don’t think I want to go back to CT lol. My girlfriends parents place is sick. The view out the guest room window is amazing. Nice little pound in the back with iguanas walking around, little geico looking things, walking around in shorts. Palm trees. Please don’t send me back 

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

5 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I don’t think I want to go back to CT lol. My girlfriends parents place is sick. The view out the guest room window is amazing. Nice little pound in the back with iguanas walking around, little geico looking things, walking around in shorts. Palm trees. Please don’t send me back 

the iguanas are walking around in shorts? so THAT's how they got the idea for the Geico commercials.

• Haha 2

55 minutes ago, forkyfork said:

budworm outbreaks are natural and don't need to be controlled

The insecticide applications back in the '70s and early '80s likely had little effect on the duration of the outbreak, but they kept a lot of trees alive long enough to get to the sawmills.  An estimated 15 million cords were lost to budworm in Maine, and another 15 million harvested earlier than planned, with a significant portion of the latter having died before being cut.