Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
New England Met Fall 2022 Banter

HoarfrostHubb

3 hours ago, Cold Miser said:

This looks pretty good:

Earth is a volatile and often dangerous place for humans to live but the Northeastern United States is pretty stable, relatively speaking.  Sure there are occasional severe thunder storm events and big coastal storms, however, earthquakes, floods, tsunamis, tornadoes, forest fires, severe droughts, ice storms and damaging hail are all pretty rare. 

But yeah, looks like a fun movie to watch. 

• Like 2

Greetings from the Gold Coast in Australia! I’m missing all the glorious Vermont Fall weather since I am down here for 3 weeks. Popped in to say that even after a wee being here, my mind still struggles to orient on cyclone and airmass movement here in the southern hemisphere. I have to think (hard) when I am looking at maps and radar. It’s reminded me how hard the basic parcel physics can be for people new to the study/hobby. 
FD65C959-EC22-4F41-BCCE-4CF8126A03AD.thumb.gif.75b1dd6efd9a678c45749ce78a48380e.gif

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

How much is natural gas per unit in other areas of the country? Gas was pretty cheap up until recently even in New England, so that’s why I am asking. I wonder if the pipeline issue matters a whole lot for us.

Since NE generates 80 to 90% of its electricity with natural gas these huge increases kill us.

image.thumb.png.31e1e4fc6f47d2b4036b75bf46b7d4f1.png

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

How much is natural gas per unit in other areas of the country? Gas was pretty cheap up until recently even in New England, so that’s why I am asking. I wonder if the pipeline issue matters a whole lot for us.

Nat gas was cheap globally when there were no supply issues/bottlenecks. But now that there are, we’re going to pay for it because we’re dumb enough to not have any infrastructure to deliver the domestic nat gas to us. It’s honestly embarrassing. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Nat gas was cheap globally when there were no supply issues/bottlenecks. But now that there are, we’re going to pay for it because we’re dumb enough to not have any infrastructure to deliver the domestic nat gas to us. It’s honestly embarrassing. 

Yeah we’ll have to watch that. I have oil, but hopefully it’s not as bad as feared in New England for gas. Oil is bad enough. 

But you know how it goes. Not in my backyard. There’s actually a nat gas compressor station in N Weymouth. I’m pretty sure that only benefits Maine and mostly Canada lol.

11 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Earth is a volatile and often dangerous place for humans to live but the Northeastern United States is pretty stable, relatively speaking.  Sure there are occasional severe thunder storm events and big coastal storms, however, earthquakes, floods, tsunamis, tornadoes, forest fires, severe droughts, ice storms and damaging hail are all pretty rare. 

But yeah, looks like a fun movie to watch. 

Might be decent, if it doesn't go silly like "Twister".

Up here we have little earthquakes, little tornados, little hurricanes and some big snowstorms.  That's a nice combo.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, bristolri_wx said:

Noticed on Tropical Tidbits an alert about ECMWF super computer upgrades.  Found this interesting article:

https://www.ecmwf.int/en/about/media-centre/news/2022/taking-ecmwfs-new-high-performance-computing-facility-operation

Looks like software/model upgrades to follow the hardware upgrades being done now.

Every time they upgrade it, it gets worse. 

2 hours ago, jbenedet said:

Planning a trip with friends to the Berks mid January. Any tips on best towns/cities to check out or stay closest to? 

Great Barrington is nice.  Close to Butternut Basin and not too far from Jiminy Peak and Catamount

Berkshire East is the best ski mountain in W MA but there is nothing near it. 

If you are looking for cultural stuff to do check out Naumkeag or drive up to Mass Moca in N Adams.

• Thanks 1

...Tis the season for total darkness rides to work and idiots driving on my bumper with super bright halogen (or whatever the latest super bright bulb is) lighting up my car interior.  Doesn't matter how fast I go on back roads or winding state roads, these f.uckers always find me.  It's usually the clowns driving massive, lifted pick-ups (you know, the guys who never use the bed for fear of it getting it scratched) with double stacked headlights, and all kinds of other edge trim lights on the grill.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

Heading to see a show tonight at the new, MGM Music Hall at Fenway. Sounds like a pretty big place with 5000 seats.

Supposed to have good acoustics from what I hear.   

My daughter is going to her first big arena show tonight at the TD Garden.  She went with us to Mohegan a couple of weeks back but this is 3x as big.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Supposed to have good acoustics from what I hear.   

My daughter is going to her first big arena show tonight at the TD Garden.  She went with us to Mohegan a couple of weeks back but this is 3x as big.

Nice. The only 3 shows I've seen there were Prince, and Garth Brooks, and Rush