Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
New England Met Fall 2022 Banter

HoarfrostHubb

1 hour ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

$6000-$10000 covers a bunch of hotel stays...  but I understand

We have been lucky where I live and only have had a couple of brief power outages since the 2008 Ice Storm

You don’t have to have a 10k setup for it to be serviceable though. I bought a 10 circuit transfer panel for 400 bucks and Matt (butterfish) installed it and then I bought a 7500 watt generator for about a thousand. 

it powers everything we’d need, including the well. Most lights/outlets etc etc.

so for about $1500 I’m covered if we ever lose power. I lost probably $500 in food when we lost it in October of last year when we lost it for 2 days, so it was kind of a no brainer.

The generac systems are obviously very nice and hands off which is a plus; but for the amount we actually lose power here, 10 grand was a lot 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

You don’t have to have a 10k setup for it to be serviceable though. I bought a 10 circuit transfer panel for 400 bucks and Matt (butterfish) installed it and then I bought a 7500 watt generator for about a thousand. 

it powers everything we’d need, including the well. Most lights/outlets etc etc.

so for about $1500 I’m covered if we ever lose power. I lost probably $500 in food when we lost it in October of last year when we lost it for 2 days, so it was kind of a no brainer.

The generac systems are obviously very nice and hands off which is a plus; but for the amount we actually lose power here, 10 grand was a lot 

My folks have a generac and living in the Phil capitol of New England...it's definitely been a good value for them. But yeah for my area....I would not invest in it...hell even here we rarely lose power except Rocktober of last year. Other than that it's been several hours here or there.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, masonwoods said:

Most of the natural gas consumed in the US is produced in the US. Last year 99% of what little we imported came from Canada.  I believe we export close to twice as much natural gas as we import.

Problem in New England is we're one of the few places in the United States dumb enough to not have a pipeline to bring all that domestic/cheap nat gas from PA into our region. So incredibly, we get a lot imported from overseas which is why New England pays some of the most ridiculous prices for natgas in the country.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

29 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Problem in New England is we're one of the few places in the United States dumb enough to not have a pipeline to bring all that domestic/cheap nat gas from PA into our region. So incredibly, we get a lot imported from overseas which is why New England pays some of the most ridiculous prices for natgas in the country.

This is also a huge factor in pricing and Europe is willing to pay 4x the price of LNG. 

Although geographically part of the U.S. mainland, in terms of energy New England is almost an island. Lacking pipeline connections to refining centers outside the region, it also has insufficient pipeline capacity to transport natural gas—New England’s dominant fuel for electricity production—from other parts of the United States during wintertime spikes in demand. Instead, the region must turn to marine deliveries of liquefied natural gas (LNG) to meet its needs. That means imports. While the United States is one of the world’s top exporters of LNG, there are no ships to transport it to New England.

More accurately, there are no ships to transport it that comply with the Jones Act.

Of the world’s nearly 600 LNG tankers, none are U.S.-flagged, U.S.-built and mostly U.S.-crewed and owned as required by the 1920 law to transport goods within the United States. And such a vessel isn’t likely to appear anytime soon, if ever. With U.S.-built LNG tankers estimated to cost over $500 million more than those from foreign shipyards—although no one knows for sure, since no such vessel has been constructed in this country since 1980—the economic case for building and operating one is non‐existent.

The result is that the Jones Act has effectively placed U.S. LNG off‐limits to New England (and Puerto Rico). While bulk quantities of U.S. LNG have been exported to 37 countries since 2016, they cannot be sent by ship to other parts of the United States.

• Thanks 4

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

"Remember, I stopped 2 gas pipelines from coming into this state" 

Is anyone following the Toucher and rich story? The parent company laid off a bunch of employees, which included a few 98.5 guys despite the station having insane ratings across the board.

Rich is paying for a producers entire salary plus a 38% markup for “administrative fees” whatever the hell that is.

You heard that right. A host is paying the entire salary of a producer so he doesn’t get laid off.

Unbelievably bad look for Beasley media 

14 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Is anyone following the Toucher and rich story? The parent company laid off a bunch of employees, which included a few 98.5 guys despite the station having insane ratings across the board.

Rich is paying for a producers entire salary plus a 38% markup for “administrative fees” whatever the hell that is.

You heard that right. A host is paying the entire salary of a producer so he doesn’t get laid off.

I haven’t, but I know a salary that they can cut. Felger’s. I’m so sick of him. He’s awful to listen to. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Yep I just read that.  They should cut from bad products, not good ones. Make no sense. Cut Adam Jones he's not that great. Just rehashes the same shit, nothing new, nothing unexpected. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Whineminster said:

Yep I just read that.  They should cut from bad products, not good ones. Make no sense. Cut Adam Jones he's not that great. Just rehashes the same shit, nothing new, nothing unexpected. 

Obviously, we're only hearing the T&R side of things, but to be honest, this sounds like a shot across the bow on whenever their next contract negotiation comes up.  Even though they are the highest billing show based on revenue in the cluster, they decided to cut a staffer from their morning show and not the other morning shows.  Either that or they are insanely stupid - in the modern era of podcasting T&R could easily take their show off the radio and still make money, and Beasley would probably not have anything good to replace the revenue that would leave with them.

So glad I didn't go into that industry as a career.  Was a Comm major in college and was working part-time in radio in Providence as well and decided to get out of it right when they first started to consolidate in the late 90's.  The entire industry is full of financed debt from all the big consolidations of the last 25 years, and its sucking the personality out of the industry/medium. JMTC...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good morning fellas! So my family has a unique opportunity to come work with the New England Patriots starting the first of next year and was wondering what is the best place to live around Foxborough would be for snow.  Most of my research has Worcester as the closest snowiest city around. Thanks for the input ahead of time.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

7 hours ago, bristolri_wx said:

Obviously, we're only hearing the T&R side of things, but to be honest, this sounds like a shot across the bow on whenever their next contract negotiation comes up.  Even though they are the highest billing show based on revenue in the cluster, they decided to cut a staffer from their morning show and not the other morning shows.  Either that or they are insanely stupid - in the modern era of podcasting T&R could easily take their show off the radio and still make money, and Beasley would probably not have anything good to replace the revenue that would leave with them.

So glad I didn't go into that industry as a career.  Was a Comm major in college and was working part-time in radio in Providence as well and decided to get out of it right when they first started to consolidate in the late 90's.  The entire industry is full of financed debt from all the big consolidations of the last 25 years, and its sucking the personality out of the industry/medium. JMTC...

I am still not sure if there is room for 2 major sports stations in the region, and this may indeed reinforce this.  Overall I think that EEI is far superior across the board.  People may not like some of the hosts throughout the day's programing, but overall I think it is a decent product and better than what the hub has to offer. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see 98.5 become a Christian broadcast station within the next year or 2.  Feel Good, Christian broadcasting will be taking over the world of terrestrial radio as we know it over time.

31 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Good morning fellas! So my family has a unique opportunity to come work with the New England Patriots starting the first of next year and was wondering what is the best place to live around Foxborough would be for snow.  Most of my research has Worcester as the closest snowiest city around. Thanks for the input ahead of time.

Bit of a haul from Foxboro. And it's west Worcester at the airport that gets snow, even further away.  If commuting everyday is involved, there's a few high spots around Foxboro itself. Only commute a couple a times a week....than maybe Worcester or it's associated hill towns wouldn't be so bad. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, BrianW said:

This is also a huge factor in pricing and Europe is willing to pay 4x the price of LNG. 

Although geographically part of the U.S. mainland, in terms of energy New England is almost an island. Lacking pipeline connections to refining centers outside the region, it also has insufficient pipeline capacity to transport natural gas—New England’s dominant fuel for electricity production—from other parts of the United States during wintertime spikes in demand. Instead, the region must turn to marine deliveries of liquefied natural gas (LNG) to meet its needs. That means imports. While the United States is one of the world’s top exporters of LNG, there are no ships to transport it to New England.

More accurately, there are no ships to transport it that comply with the Jones Act.

Of the world’s nearly 600 LNG tankers, none are U.S.-flagged, U.S.-built and mostly U.S.-crewed and owned as required by the 1920 law to transport goods within the United States. And such a vessel isn’t likely to appear anytime soon, if ever. With U.S.-built LNG tankers estimated to cost over $500 million more than those from foreign shipyards—although no one knows for sure, since no such vessel has been constructed in this country since 1980—the economic case for building and operating one is non‐existent.

The result is that the Jones Act has effectively placed U.S. LNG off‐limits to New England (and Puerto Rico). While bulk quantities of U.S. LNG have been exported to 37 countries since 2016, they cannot be sent by ship to other parts of the United States.

I never knew about the Jones act.  I am sure there is more detail, but thanks for your summary. This was educational. 

As far as pipeline's coming in to New England, I had always heard that New York State was the problem, and specifically counties in the lower part of the state (below Delaware, Greene and Columbia counties) not wanting pipeline's running through their borders...The NIMBY crowd so to speak.  I am not sure if that is true, but it seems to come up when this discussion arises.

11 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

I am still not sure if there is room for 2 major sports stations in the region, and this may indeed reinforce this.  Overall I think that EEI is far superior across the board.  People may not like some of the hosts throughout the day's programing, but overall I think it is a decent product and better than what the hub has to offer. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see 98.5 become a Christian broadcast station within the next year or 2.  Feel Good, Christian broadcasting will be taking over the world of terrestrial radio as we know it over time.

I would think the sports hub would replace WEEI. The sports hub pretty regularly triples if not more the numbers that EEI does 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, bristolri_wx said:

Who knows, the optics of what happened are insanely bad. You lay off a guy on one of the handful of most popular morning shows in the country, and then to bring him back you make a host of the show pay his salary.

the part of this that is kind of flying under the radar is they are taking a 38% administrative fee? What is that? Healthcare?

17 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

$6000-$10000 covers a bunch of hotel stays...  but I understand

We have been lucky where I live and only have had a couple of brief power outages since the 2008 Ice Storm

Food loss, iced up pipes nah. $750 generator for the loss days. Plugs right into the meter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Met1985 said:

Foxborough itself is actually not bad for snow....gets more than Boston does being southwest inland and a few hundred feet in elevation.

If you want, say, another 10-15" per year and a bit better retention, then you'll want to move northwest of Foxborough out toward ORH...but as someone already said, that's a bit of a haul. IF you don't mind an hour commute though, then it works. Best spot near ORH is probably on west side in the town of Paxton or some of the high spots in Holden.

My current area (Holliston/Hopkinton/Ashland) is a bit closer and maybe 30 minutes away but probably gets 10" more than Foxborough with better retention. Hopkinton esp is good because it has a lot of spots over 500 feet in elevation.

Here's my crude SNE annual snowfall map i made years ago. Foxborough is basically halfway between BOS and PVD in that band of 50"+ that extends southeast from the main dark blue area.

SNE_snowfall.PNG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Who knows, the optics of what happened are insanely bad. You lay off a guy on one of the handful of most popular morning shows in the country, and then to bring him back you make a host of the show pay his salary.

the part of this that is kind of flying under the radar is they are taking a 38% administrative fee? What is that? Healthcare?

Rich must be doing bank to pay the salary. That’s nuts. 
But radio is just not a good business right now except for very successful stations like 98.5.  I listen to them when I’m in the car. T&R are goofs and I appreciate the laughs. I don’t always agree with Felger and Mazz, but appreciate the takes. Zo and Bertrand are good too….at least Zolak  knows football. 

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Rich must be doing bank to pay the salary. That’s nuts. 
But radio is just not a good business right now except for very successful stations like 98.5.  I listen to them when I’m in the car. T&R are goofs and I appreciate the laughs. I don’t always agree with Felger and Mazz, but appreciate the takes. Zo and Bertrand are good too….at least Zolak  knows football. 

And Jim Murray is hilarious. He and Gasper are pretty good on the weekends

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Foxborough itself is actually not bad for snow....gets more than Boston does being southwest inland and a few hundred feet in elevation.

If you want, say, another 10-15" per year and a bit better retention, then you'll want to move northwest of Foxborough out toward ORH...but as someone already said, that's a bit of a haul. IF you don't mind an hour commute though, then it works. Best spot near ORH is probably on west side in the town of Paxton or some of the high spots in Holden.

My current area (Holliston/Hopkinton/Ashland) is a bit closer and maybe 30 minutes away but probably gets 10" more than Foxborough with better retention. Hopkinton esp is good because it has a lot of spots over 500 feet in elevation.

Here's my crude SNE annual snowfall map i made years ago. Foxborough is basically halfway between BOS and PVD in that band of 50"+ that extends southeast from the main dark blue area.

SNE_snowfall.PNG

Thank you for the comment. I was going to message you this morning and ask your thoughts since you are pretty close to that area. Ill look into the above.  

2 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I will assume all the costs involved with that person being an employee of Beasley.  So payroll taxes, benefits, etc.  Anything the company would have paid as their share of hiring an employee full time.  They are being d#$cks about it, and saying we are not footing 1 cent of the bill for this person to remain on the payroll.  A literal "you want him, you pay for him!"

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Franklin, Hampshire and Hampden Counties all have a gas moratorium in place from Berkshire gas. You cannot open a new business that requires gas service nor can you upgrade to a bigger system if you are an established business.

It’s absolutely nuts.

i’m not sure about new residential.