Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
New England Met Fall 2022 Banter

HoarfrostHubb

2 minutes ago, dryslot said:

First year i bought a prepay plan and glad i did as i could see where this was going.

As the outside temps approach the single digits the heat pumps use more electrical resistance to generate heat, that led to some bigger bills last winter (~$300-400). But that will still be cheaper than propane at 3.50/gal.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

As the outside temps approach the single digits the heat pumps use more electrical resistance to generate heat, that led to some bigger bills last winter (~$300-400). But that will still be cheaper than propane at 3.50/gal.

I will probably look at a heat pump in the next couple years as they become more efficient, My neighbor had a new boiler installed last year and went with nat gas thinking they were going to save over heating oil, Well guess what, Price on nat gas is going to be 30% higher this year then last.

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I don’t have an oil provider, just have rolled with cheapest one. But yeah I’m sort of screwed not locking in based on having a contract ( I think that’s needed?)  Seriously looking into wood stove or insert to see if it’s economical. Mini splits an option too. 

Yeah. We had to have a contract.  X amount of gallons    Auto delivery etc.  the company we use has been great since we have lived here (although the original was bought out).  
At some point I really want to go solar, heat pump etc and have the oil barons go pound sand

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

I don’t have an oil provider, just have rolled with cheapest one. But yeah I’m sort of screwed not locking in based on having a contract ( I think that’s needed?)  Seriously looking into wood stove or insert to see if it’s economical. Mini splits an option too. 

I did both, I have a heat pump, wood stove and oil heat, I choose the cheapest which is usally wood especially when it's free but putting the heat pump on this morning for a couple hours won't kill me.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

I did both, I have a heat pump, wood stove and oil heat, I choose the cheapest which is usally wood especially when it's free but putting the heat pump on this morning for a couple hours won't kill me.

Electric and wood is where the cost savings are at. It’s cliche but oil dependence is a wild card more than the others.

I think there may be some supply issues with fuel for electricity.  Seriously thinking of getting a generac which should be an excellent selling point when the time comes to move.  Will have to fork over probably around 7k at least so I'm not diving in head first just yet.....

• Like 2

13 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Shed almost done for 4 tons of Pellets storage. I installed a brand new highly efficient pellet stove. Loved the old one but we tax rebate.

20221015_140736.jpg

• Like 5

20 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Yes.  We have done prepay with downside for years.  $4.39 (or &4.29? I forget) for this year.   Not fun but better than some

Ours was also 4.399 for a pre-buy contract. And again, better than playing the pricing roulette. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Whineminster said:

Ehhh I think they'll bring Mac back, but if he stinks they'll take him out

Yeah Jones definitely has the job when he comes back.  Two good wins in a row for the Pats, but good defense, good special teams, and conservative offense are more than enough to beat the Lions and the Browns. Jones would have most likely beat them as well.  Zappe has played well but they were lucky to get two terrible teams to run “rookie” level offense with and come out on top.

• Like 1

On 10/16/2022 at 12:53 AM, weathafella said:

I think there may be some supply issues with fuel for electricity.  Seriously thinking of getting a generac which should be an excellent selling point when the time comes to move.  Will have to fork over probably around 7k at least so I'm not diving in head first just yet.....

If we'd already had propane/LNG, our 13kw Generac (plus the required electrical work) would've cost closer to $6k when we took the plunge in April 2020, but buying tanks and filling them kicked it over $10k.  We're happy to have been able to acquire the setup (at our ages, "camping out at home" was a drag) but in 2.5 years it's run less than half the time of our outage on April 9-10, 2020.  And we'd already had a half dozen other blackouts in 19-20 before that storm.