Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
New England Met Fall 2022 Banter

HoarfrostHubb

45 minutes ago, mreaves said:

I know a lot of you guys have visited VT for skiing at places like Stowe or Killington, spent romantic weekends in hoity toity places like Woodstock or spent time on the shores of Lake Champlain sipping craft brews. You’ve never really experienced the real Vermont though unless you’ve gone to the Tunbridge World’s Fair. Held in one of the most picturesque valleys in the state, it still has strong agricultural ties. It’s the last fair of the season in VT and this year it’s celebrating its 150th anniversary. It’s a place where you see a real cross section of the state. Woodchuck farmers who come off the hill once a year, organic hippies, Dartmouth professors and anything in between. It was a beautiful night for Italian sausage and kettle corn and the place was packed. 

367DA19A-ECD6-433A-9B4C-397E2A669078.jpeg

I love the Fairs. The melting pot of people is hard to ignore.  A community gathering the Fairs date back a very long way in history.

That waterway is classic VT.  That is the flow of the West Branch that I live on.  Rocks get cleaned during high flows, but a lot of the summer is just cold water moving very slowly.

Vermont topography has that waterway in every valley throughout the state.  You see this view (from a couple days ago) and you think about how the water drains... every valley flushes the hillsides.  Force multiplier geography.

Crop.thumb.jpg.534369a4ba9347cfcda666ff5124a1ba.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, powderfreak said:

I love the Fairs. The melting pot of people is hard to ignore.  A community gathering the Fairs date back a very long way in history.

That waterway is classic VT.  That is the flow of the West Branch that I live on.  Rocks get cleaned during high flows, but a lot of the summer is just cold water moving very slowly.

Vermont topography has that waterway in every valley throughout the state.  You see this view (from a couple days ago) and you think about how the water drains... every valley flushes the hillsides.  Force multiplier geography.

Crop.thumb.jpg.534369a4ba9347cfcda666ff5124a1ba.jpg

Love that shot

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, mreaves said:

I know a lot of you guys have visited VT for skiing at places like Stowe or Killington, spent romantic weekends in hoity toity places like Woodstock or spent time on the shores of Lake Champlain sipping craft brews. You’ve never really experienced the real Vermont though unless you’ve gone to the Tunbridge World’s Fair. Held in one of the most picturesque valleys in the state, it still has strong agricultural ties. It’s the last fair of the season in VT and this year it’s celebrating its 150th anniversary. It’s a place where you see a real cross section of the state. Woodchuck farmers who come off the hill once a year, organic hippies, Dartmouth professors and anything in between. It was a beautiful night for Italian sausage and kettle corn and the place was packed. 

367DA19A-ECD6-433A-9B4C-397E2A669078.jpeg

4C3E115F-F273-4445-9922-04B3F5CBF979.jpeg

No matter how warm it is during the day, Tunbridge during the fair  is the coldest place on earth as soon as the sun drops.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Ironically, I don’t think anyone in VT would ever describe BTV as a “mountain town”. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Ya , odd title . Must be written by someone outside New England . BTV is nice Thou , has some nightlife . 

I lived in Burlington in the early 2000's and just visited recently and was shocked at how much that city has changed. The amount of homeless and people just shooting heroin in public was nuts. City hall park was a depressing scene . My friend there says the  amount of crime like shootings, car and bike thefts has been off the charts. 

3 hours ago, BrianW said:

I lived in Burlington in the early 2000's and just visited recently and was shocked at how much that city has changed. The amount of homeless and people just shooting heroin in public was nuts. City hall park was a depressing scene . My friend there says the  amount of crime like shootings, car and bike thefts has been off the charts. 

Yeah I feel like there's been more gun violence in the news... usually in the North End.  City Hall Park was a place not to go even when I was at UVM back in like 2005.

I've yet to see anyone shooting up heroin and even though Church Street has always been a magnet for homeless folks panning for money, it definitely has increased.

Recently the city has evicted several high profile homeless "camps" north and south of the city where dozens of people would live in tents and there'd be occasional crime there (stabbings or mental illness psychotic stuff)... the city evicted the largest camp last fall.

So where do they go?  They end up in places like City Hall Park and other zones in the city.  I mean, I'm not quite sure what they expected to happen... you had a few of these "communities" scattered about in the woods along Lake Champlain.  Remove them and those people are still homeless and will just move to another area, which seems inside the core of the city now.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah I feel like there's been more gun violence in the news... usually in the North End.  City Hall Park was a place not to go even when I was at UVM back in like 2005.

I've yet to see anyone shooting up heroin and even though Church Street has always been a magnet for homeless folks panning for money, it definitely has increased.

Recently the city has evicted several high profile homeless "camps" north and south of the city where dozens of people would live in tents and there'd be occasional crime there (stabbings or mental illness psychotic stuff)... the city evicted the largest camp last fall.

So where do they go?  They end up in places like City Hall Park and other zones in the city.  I mean, I'm not quite sure what they expected to happen... you had a few of these "communities" scattered about in the woods along Lake Champlain.  Remove them and those people are still homeless and will just move to another area, which seems inside the core of the city now.

Heroin and opiates are everywhere.  It's more hidden in some cities than others but most big towns in New England and the Northeast in general have a problem that is not getting better.  A family that we are friends with, helped start the Franklin Co Opiod Task Force years ago, so I hear first hand about the problems in Massachusetts and beyond. 

I was at a show in Hartford last month talking to a few Hartford cops about it.  They said kids from VT and NH can drive down to Hartford and get heroin for $5/bag and then flip it for twice that back home.  Even worse, because firearms access is much looser up North they trade guns for big packets of heroin to resell or use.

The town I live in has worked very hard to come face to face with the problem and address the many challenges of stemming use, stopping supply chains and getting people help.  

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Heroin and opiates are everywhere.  It's more hidden in some cities than others but most big towns in New England and the Northeast in general have a problem that is not getting better.  A family that we are friends with, helped start the Franklin Co Opiod Task Force years ago, so I hear first hand about the problems in Massachusetts and beyond. 

I was at a show in Hartford last month talking to a few Hartford cops about it.  They said kids from VT and NH can drive down to Hartford and get heroin for $5/bag and then flip it for twice that back home.  Even worse, because firearms access is much looser up North they trade guns for big packets of heroin to resell or use.

The town I live in has worked very hard to come face to face with the problem and address the many challenges of stemming use, stopping supply chains and getting people help.  

I think people are realizing this isn't a "poor person" issue - addiction impacts all walks of life.  And at this point, there is no stopping it - and it's clear now that you can't arrest your way out of it.  The best that can be done is having low-barrier support programs in place that offer help to those who are ready for it.  Although funding and staffing for these programs are difficult to come by.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, tunafish said:

I think people are realizing this isn't a "poor person" issue - addiction impacts all walks of life.  And at this point, there is no stopping it - and it's clear now that you can't arrest your way out of it.  The best that can be done is having low-barrier support programs in place that offer help to those who are ready for it.  Although funding and staffing for these programs are difficult to come by.

What they need to do is stop putting people in drug court , where you go out relapse ...get thrown back in rehab where the state gets big bucks per “bed” then you f up at rehab wander through the streets till your next Major relapse incident and back to drug court . That isn’t working but those beds at the 20 rehab centers in Nashua are MINTING $$ . I know many acquaintances in Nashua (from the gym - where many rehab places give their people memberships ) in that situ and some get straight , many are on a merry go round . Either that or when you find a major dealer make a painful example of them , thou I don’t think the law allows that . 

16 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

What they need to do is stop putting people in drug court , where you go out relapse ...get thrown back in rehab where the state gets big bucks per “bed” then you f up at rehab wander through the streets till your next Major relapse incident and back to drug court . That isn’t working but those beds at the 20 rehab centers in Nashua are MINTING $$ . I know many acquaintances in Nashua (from the gym - where many rehab places give their people memberships ) in that situ and some get straight , many are on a merry go round . Either that or when you find a major dealer make a painful example of them , thou I don’t think the law allows that . 

That bolded is key.  @tunafish nailed it with the "you can't arrest your way out of it."  Some countries have capital punishment for drug offenses.  That isn't where we want to go.  It still doesn't solve the underlying issues of addiction. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

That's ugly, and obviously not doing anything to solve the issue.  Those for-profit rehab centers are not the solution and sound like they mostly exacerbate it.  I'm talking about non-profit detox (or outpatient) combined a long-term recovery facility or home.  We have one in Portland and it seems to work well.  There will always be people who cycle through, though, regardless of the setup.  Very few people are successful achieving recovery on their first attempt.

42 minutes ago, tunafish said:

That's ugly, and obviously not doing anything to solve the issue.  Those for-profit rehab centers are not the solution and sound like they mostly exacerbate it.  I'm talking about non-profit detox (or outpatient) combined a long-term recovery facility or home.  We have one in Portland and it seems to work well.  There will always be people who cycle through, though, regardless of the setup.  Very few people are successful achieving recovery on their first attempt.

It’s just a sad state of affairs . Such a devastating drug for many . 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

27 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

Closing camp for the summer.  Snow and 30s this a.m. and sun and 40s in the afternoon.  Stacking and storing firewood, and of course, putting to sleep more super uncomfortable Adirondack chairs that no one uses.

That barometric pressure gauge is from 1920 or so.

20220923_150121.jpg

20220923_150055.jpg

20220923_150041.jpg

20220923_145744.jpg

20220923_143510.jpg

20220923_151227.jpg

I have an old barometer from my grandfather, well made and is still accurate.

• Like 3