Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
New England Met Fall 2022 Banter

HoarfrostHubb

25 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Friggin' Bald-Faced Hornet nest is still going strong.  Sucks that I'd like to mow front yard now but this ****er in gonna get in the way. 

A million years ago I was working at my old office in Rocky Hill CT (was there every few weeks or so, mostly working in Marlboro Ma). 
There was some ornamental tree in front of the office that had a big, basketball sized nest in it.  One of our project managers just went up to it with a thick drum liner bag (goes in a 55 gallon drum).  Bagged the sucker up, knotted it, and let nature take its course. Over the next couple of days they all died of asphyxiation I guess.   He didn’t get stung at all. 

crazy Nutmeg State dude. Lol. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, kdxken said:

I love videos of dumbasses playing with fire. My favorite is  two guys pouring gas on a bonfire and one catches the other on fire and goes running with the can blowing on it. I've looked all over for it but I can't find it.

I’m thankful there was no video/photographic evidence of my dumbassery in dealing with hornets using fire 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

A lot of my peaches are on the ground, didn't get many pears, have to properly trim the tree to get more fruit. The deer will be happy.

My pears go nuts. One produces large, tasty fruit. Unfortunately the porcupines did a number on the trees this year. I’m going to take from scionwood from the good one and graft a couple more next spring. 

image.jpeg

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, dendrite said:

My pears go nuts. One produces large, tasty fruit. Unfortunately the porcupines did a number on the trees this year. I’m going to take from scionwood from the good one and graft a couple more next spring. 

image.jpeg

How hard is it to graft? I have a couple suckers growing up around my peach tree and figured rather than pruning them I could try and save them. 

1 minute ago, OceanStWx said:

How hard is it to graft? I have a couple suckers growing up around my peach tree and figured rather than pruning them I could try and save them. 

I think it’s easy. What are you trying to save? The epicormic ones growing straight up from the main branches? The 1 year wood from those are good for grafting. All you need to do is get rootstock to graft them on to. Some people have air layered branches, but it can be tricky. You can either grow out your own seedlings from seed (kinda late for that considering the suckers are getting mature) or get some seedling or nemaguard stock from a site. Cummins should have some the 2nd half of winter. I’ll be getting some pear stock from them.

59 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I think it’s easy. What are you trying to save? The epicormic ones growing straight up from the main branches? The 1 year wood from those are good for grafting. All you need to do is get rootstock to graft them on to. Some people have air layered branches, but it can be tricky. You can either grow out your own seedlings from seed (kinda late for that considering the suckers are getting mature) or get some seedling or nemaguard stock from a site. Cummins should have some the 2nd half of winter. I’ll be getting some pear stock from them.

Is the epicormic ones I'm supposed to trim off?

16 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

Is the epicormic ones I'm supposed to trim off?

Yeah…the water sprouts like this are normally pruned. The ones that go straight up like that are just vegetative branches…horizontal tend to produce the fruiting buds. Hence why people like to train their branches more on the horizontal…apples can even go 90° and be trained a little downward. Pears are more or less below a 45° angle, but my large standard tree that puts out great fruit eventually started weeping and the more it weeped, the more the branches bent downward, and the more fruit it produced…kind of a positive feedback.

image.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Yeah…the water sprouts like this are normally pruned. The ones that go straight up like that are just vegetative branches…horizontal tend to produce the fruiting buds. Hence why people like to train their branches more on the horizontal…apples can even go 90° and be trained a little downward. Pears are more or less below a 45° angle, but my large standard tree that puts out great fruit eventually started weeping and the more it weeped, the more the branches bent downward, and the more fruit it produced…kind of a positive feedback.

image.jpeg

Mine are actually root sprouts, but I'm realizing that the peach tree was grafted already (Redhaven on Lovell) so I don't want to graft the rootstock. 

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Is there a tip to find threads? I always have an issue. 

So I went into advanced search feature. 

1.  Clicked "Topic" as search.

2. Clicked our Subforum to search in.

3. Clicked custom date range and filtered for topics started from March 1 - April 1 2019.

4.  Added March + Obs for search terms at the top.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

So I went into advanced search feature. 

1.  Clicked "Topic" as search.

2. Clicked our Subforum to search in.

3. Clicked custom date range and filtered for topics started from March 1 - April 1 2019.

4.  Added March + Obs for search terms at the top.

Oh, see I was just putting things in the search space and did not click on the little magnifying glass. I see now. Thanks! 

• Weenie 1