Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
September Discobs 2022

George BM

6 hours ago, leesburg 04 said:

I'm all for drying out and having a stretch of really nice days but i'll be honest when i see model runs with days and days of dry from start to finish i get a tad nervous. Not for any drought concerns but just the dry locking and loading for the winter. Here's to the old rubber band theory or whatever....hope we go back wet as we get closer to December.

September is our driest month climatologically. It'll get wetter in October. 

Weather watching is starting to get interesting for late next week. Seems like our first legit fall cold front will be a key player in deciding where Fiona tracks. At the moment looks like next Friday or Saturday or both could have highs in the upper 60s/low 70s with upper 40s/low 50s for lows. How fast the front moves south and it’s orientation will guide Fiona OTS or possibly under the ridge more and become a landfall risk.

• Like 8

16 minutes ago, IronTy said:

Nothing like that down here in SoMD.  But I remember a few years ago it was absolutely eerie as the smoke was so strong it was like twilight sometimes.  Lete check to see if I have pics....

Probably from the smoke outbreak that was occurring two years ago today.

32 minutes ago, George BM said:

Probably from the smoke outbreak that was occurring two years ago today.

I can't find the pics argh.  Myself and a coworker flew out west and climbed Eldorado Peak in the cascades of Washington State that summer.  It was otherworldly, the haze was so intense and red it was like some sort of nuclear aftermath.  

No stinkbug sightings here yet. Hoping it will be like 2 years ago, where there were hardly any here. Killed probably a hundred in the house last winter/early Spring:yikes:

Having no attic/completely vaulted beam/purlin roof system makes it tough to keep them out of the living space. I did find a major gap in the ridge vent where the 2 roof lines meet, and had that repaired and sealed in July. The contractor found plenty of stink bug carcasses in that area, and a snake skin lol. Overwintering critters find the warmth.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nj2va said:

Ugh, just a matter of time before we are inundated here. 

I live about 15 miles south of that location...as a crow flies.  I've yet to see one.  But I agree that its just a matter of time.  Its too bad they have the potential to be so destructive. They're pretty cool looking bugs that don't stink, sting or bite. They just land on you and hang out for bit before taking off. Probably had 20-30 land on me over the two hours I sat there.

18 hours ago, poolz1 said:

I'll take 2 more months of todays. Perfect weather for just about anything outdoors.

At a soccer game near Hagerstown earlier and these suckers were everywhere.a00b5e5601d8e3bc0009ef1ddfa0e79e.jpg

Had a gig in York, PA yesterday and they were everywhere. Landing on you randomly. I haven't seen any here so far.

The smoke made for a dark and eerie sunset on Friday

#oldobs

1 hour ago, Kay said:

Had a gig in York, PA yesterday and they were everywhere. Landing on you randomly. I haven't seen any here so far.

The smoke made for a dark and eerie sunset on Friday

#oldobs

I live in northern York and we have tons of them. We have made a game out of killing them even with my neighbors joining in. Easily 100 to 200 a weekend get destroyed. Crazy 

• Sad 2

21 hours ago, poolz1 said:

I'll take 2 more months of todays. Perfect weather for just about anything outdoors.

At a soccer game near Hagerstown earlier and these suckers were everywhere.a00b5e5601d8e3bc0009ef1ddfa0e79e.jpg

We've been inundated with them here.  Bases of southern pines look like they have barnacles which are the egg sacs.  Been at it in full annihilation mode.  Just don't think we're gonna eradicate them.  Seems about as effective as stopping a train with a table tennis paddle!

• Sad 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic