Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
September Discobs 2022

George BM

9 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Don't look now, but the GFS, and to a lesser extent the Euro, try to bring some mid latitude cyclone up through up Wednesday into Thursday. GFS has some 6"+ QPF maximums along and east of I-95.

You mean next weekend? 0z GFS had something but stays SE on the 6z run. Ensemble mean offshore.

1 hour ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Reseeded and aerated the lawn. Hoping we get a nice soaking rain tomorrow.

Are you afraid that would wash your seed away,  did you cover it with something?

Soil moisture which had been as low as 14% in certain locations have improved with the recent rains and currently have gotten up to about 28%. Meanwhile 5-day average soil temperatures have come down quite a bit and now stands somewhere close to 75 degrees F. 

I believe cool season grasses germinate best at a 5-day average soil temperature of 70° F.

1 hour ago, frd said:

Are you afraid that would wash your seed away,  did you cover it with something?

Soil moisture which had been as low as 14% in certain locations have improved with the recent rains and currently have gotten up to about 28%. Meanwhile 5-day average soil temperatures have come down quite a bit and now stands somewhere close to 75 degrees F. 

I believe cool season grasses germinate best at a 5-day average soil temperature of 70° F.

I have been doing mine in stages. Started mid August. Mostly reseeding in the usual places that burn to hell in mid summer, plus some overseeding. Cool season tall fescue does fine with the warmer soil. The Black Beauty germinates in 6-7 days this time of year. I like to get it established before the leaves start coming down in earnest. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, frd said:

Reseeded is a bad word...overseeded is more like it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, frd said:

After aerating, a lot of seed ends up in the holes, and that’s a perfect place for the seed to germinate.

42 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

After aerating, a lot of seed ends up in the holes, and that’s a perfect place for the seed to germinate.

not sure about that - proper aerating is 1+ inches deep holes and that's to deep for new grass seeds.

New grass seed should be buried no more than 1/4" inch - 1/8 better.  And unlike established grass, needs only to be kept moist to germinate.   Short showers are better for a new seeding - not a soaking.

We've been working on our mostly shaded lawn with a slope/runoff for over a decade with minimal success.  Started with a local nursery where the owner who is known as "the grass whisperer"....finally making some progress.  It will be a 5 year project to really establish our lawn because of the runoff  but it is already looking tons better after only 2 years.

6 hours ago, gunny23 said:

not sure about that - proper aerating is 1+ inches deep holes and that's to deep for new grass seeds.

New grass seed should be buried no more than 1/4" inch - 1/8 better.  And unlike established grass, needs only to be kept moist to germinate.   Short showers are better for a new seeding - not a soaking.

We've been working on our mostly shaded lawn with a slope/runoff for over a decade with minimal success.  Started with a local nursery where the owner who is known as "the grass whisperer"....finally making some progress.  It will be a 5 year project to really establish our lawn because of the runoff  but it is already looking tons better after only 2 years.

I’ll get pictures this year and repost in the lawn and garden thread in about three or four weeks.

Nice morning now but rain on the doorstep.

Tall fescue seeds germinate best when they're on the surface of the soil.  Aeration is a waste of time also because fescue doesn't build up a thatch layer like other grasses.   Or so I've read.   

Oh man there's a light drizzle outside now, maybe moderate.  Gonna lay my seed after breakfast (I feel dirty typing that for some reason).  

• Haha 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic