Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
September Discobs 2022

George BM

• WxUSAF pinned this topic
On 8/30/2022 at 5:53 PM, WxUSAF said:

Next Mon-Tues has jumped up in all guidance over the last couple days as a possible rain event. Euro drops 0.5-1” area wide.

On 8/30/2022 at 6:56 PM, WxUSAF said:

Don’t look at the 18z gfs :yikes:

12z GFS suddenly likes Monday.

edit:  I just looked at the 0z euro and it's off it's rocker.  3" across the northern tier of MD by Wednesday morning. :lol:

It was unexpectedly hot here today.  Low dewps but the wind and sun made it feel like a furnace.  Also surprised at how fast we are all of a sudden dry as a bone. Trees and shrubs are really suffering, especially those planted in the past year or two.  Leaves are really falling now.  

Leaving for Bittinger to spend the weekend camping on the mountain property tomorrow morning after rush hour.  Temp here is 85 now vs 70 in Bittinger woo hoo.  And I'm sure it's even cooler than that on top of meadow mountain 3300ft (where we are located)

33 minutes ago, IronTy said:

It was unexpectedly hot here today.  Low dewps but the wind and sun made it feel like a furnace.  Also surprised at how fast we are all of a sudden dry as a bone. Trees and shrubs are really suffering, especially those planted in the past year or two.  Leaves are really falling now.  

Leaving for Bittinger to spend the weekend camping on the mountain property tomorrow morning after rush hour.  Temp here is 85 now vs 70 in Bittinger woo hoo.  And I'm sure it's even cooler than that on top of meadow mountain 3300ft (where we are located)

Enjoy! Weather station at the house got down to 54 this morning. Currently 68 there. I didn’t realize Meadow Mountain was higher than Wisp and just below the tallest point in the county (which is 3314 feet)…thought it had only topped out at 2900ft. Good to know! First snowfall is isn’t too far away :) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nj2va said:

Enjoy! Weather station at the house got down to 54 this morning. Currently 68 there. I didn’t realize Meadow Mountain was higher than Wisp and just below the tallest point in the county (which is 3314 feet)…thought it had only topped out at 2900ft. Good to know! First snowfall is isn’t too far away :) 

According to my topo map it definitely peaks above 3k on our property. I'll measure the high point with my phone gps this weekend and confirm.  It could be off but we'll see.  

Screenshot_20220901-210756_copy_720x1560.png

• Like 1

9 hours ago, IronTy said:

According to my topo map it definitely peaks above 3k on our property. I'll measure the high point with my phone gps this weekend and confirm.  It could be off but we'll see.  

Screenshot_20220901-210756_copy_720x1560.png

That looks like a cool app. I have a website I always use for rough elevation info, and now I'm wondering where they're all getting their topo data from. 

https://en-us.topographic-map.com/maps/blrg/Meadow-Mountain/

3 minutes ago, H2O said:

I wish Va did have one.  I'd stare at it for hours.  FX Co has a LIDAR elevation map which is fun.

Yeah, this is awesome.  https://lidar-fairfaxcountygis.opendata.arcgis.com/apps/lidar-elevation-viewer/explore

Still funny that the highest elevation in the county is the landfill mound.  

I'm in the orange near Tyson's which is great for really marginal elevation snows and extending growing seasons, and terrible for always finishing any exercise by going up a hill.

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic