Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2022-2023 Fall/Winter Mountains Thread

BlueRidgeFolklore

On 2/10/2023 at 9:07 AM, SnowDawg said:

11 minutes ago, BooneWX said:

The part that makes me sick is that if I went back in time to a week ago and sent everyone that imagery, we’d all expect to be counting snowfall in feet right now. 9 times out of 10, that setup is cash money for this end of NC. I wouldn’t have pictured cold air being completely non-existent on this entire side of the continent in the middle of Feb. 

Yeah it's just sad at this point. If we don't get anything by March 7th then it's over. Time is going fast and with Feb being a leap month this year even faster. So I say we have 22 days give or take a few to make something happen.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wxduncan said:

Yeah it's just sad at this point. If we don't get anything by March 7th then it's over. Time is going fast and with Feb being a leap month this year even faster.

I went ahead and threw another round of fertilizer on the lawn yesterday in preparation for the weeks ahead. :facepalm:

1 minute ago, Maggie Ace said:

What has saved ski season this year is weekend time shots of cold air and some fantastic snow making opportunities that were not wasted. Cataloochee in particular could not have survived without the additional snow making equipment purchased last summer. Even Tube World has not closed but a day or two all winter so far.

On to next weekend when we have our next shot of at least NWFS. 

Yep timely cold shots is the saving grace for the resorts along with upgraded equipment at places like Sugar, Beech and Cat.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Yeah as much rain as we saw we could have easily saw a foot plus.  A few things that I learned is that apparently the models don't know shit 2 days out especially with a synoptic storm. GSP did GSP things and were right. Good on them. So far this winter is a D for me. 

Exactly..regardless of models, GSP is tough to beat.

• Like 2

I very nearly came up to Boone for the weekend just to say I saw some flakes for the winter but honestly am I glad I didn't. Would have felt like a bit of a disappointment. 

Excited to move back up the mountains with y'all later this year. Hoping we turn our luck around. 

• Like 4

Just back from Charleston. A couple days in the 70s has me ready for spring. FB_IMG_1676428876905.thumb.jpg.3f9a553352530bcba6e4dc049dd549a0.jpgFB_IMG_1676401239737.thumb.jpg.a5037dd85fb82071fd5120079e73d05c.jpg
Great pics man! I lived there for a few years. It's great in winter, but the heat and humidity gets old fast. Offshore flow feels like a furnace in July.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Tyler Penland said:

Just back from Charleston. A couple days in the 70s has me ready for spring.

Great photos!  My wife and I should be down that way soon.  Getting spring fever in Feb is tough in mountains.  We know how it typically shakes out.  Teleconnections finally go cold sometime in March followed by a series of east coast troughs with chilly 20 to 40 mph winds blowing regularly into May. Buckethead will be posting photos of snow he is getting in May.  That said it is all worth it to not have that Charleston type summer heat.

• Like 3

Can't beat the cool mountain breezes but I will say its getting more and more humid here. 

Looks like cold air will be hanging out in Canada and the Midwest towards the end of the month while we scorch under the death ridge. Maybe it will finally head this way in early March who knows. Winter could be over though (did it ever really arrive?)

• Like 1

Can't beat the cool mountain breezes but I will say its getting more and more humid here. 

Looks like cold air will be hanging out in Canada and the Midwest towards the end of the month while we scorch under the death ridge. Maybe it will finally head this way in early March who knows. Winter could be over though (did it ever really arrive?)
You might be onto something. Last summer I had to add another 2 dehumidifiers to the 2 I already had in my basement. At least it almost never gets above 80 here in the summer.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Buckethead said:

You might be onto something. Last summer I had to add another 2 dehumidifiers to the 2 I already had in my basement. At least it almost never gets above 80 here in the summer.

I'm not a big global warming alarmist but something has changed. It was 62 this morning on Old Fort mountain at 8 a.m. on February 16... That's basically the equivalent of it being 10 below zero on the inverse but it's easier to remember the freak cold than warm. 

• Like 1