Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2022-2023 Fall/Winter Mountains Thread

BlueRidgeFolklore

13 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

We are a bit off from you I think because of one of the bands that just set in overnight.  We are getting hammered now with heavy snowfall.  It might help im in a bowl also with this NW flow.  Might pick up another inch if this continues. 

Yea I figured last night the ridge from Chambers Mtn over to the Glades was probably getting it good based on how it was snowing between Lake Junaluska and Crabtre and then it was hardly snowing here.  Friends on Chambers have over 6”.  Good first event of the year! 

• Like 1

Morning yall...so I don't know how accurate my measurement is [mention=347]MotoWeatherman[/mention] . The wind really picked up overnight and there was a 22" deep drift on my measuring board so I measured about a dozen other spots and the depth varied from just under this to 24" deep. So call it 14" if ya want, I'm not going back outside right now. It's and moderate snow is still falling.

0a2190eb5e41e9c4660ae42023830e33.jpg

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

• Like 14

So I just checked around me. Heading towards the border, I measure 18" about 400' further up the mountain. Going the other way to the country club (about the same elevation as me but a mile further from the border and more exposed to the wind) I measured 12 or so. There's one helluva gradient in a very short distance...I'm really curious about what's up on the top of the mountain, but the road is nearly impassable at the moment.

• Like 6

I count five, I think. Isn't that a small doe/fawn head behind the other head, second from the left? The are both looking to the left.

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

You're right, I went back and looked and there's 5 napping in that spot.

• Like 2

Just got back from a quick walk on the Parkway up to Rough Ridge on Grandfather. Very little snow on that side, maybe an inch at most. Several sections were mostly bare ground.

The wind was absolutely insane, however. First time I've ever been sitting on a rock outcrop and been scooted sideways along the ground in a gust. Easily 60-70MPH up there.

• Like 3

Yeah with a solid snowpack in place, calm winds and the perfect setup for radiational cooling we dipped all the way to 8 degrees this morning.  A solid cold morning. 
My low was at midnight. I was at 13.8 then and climbed to 24 by sunrise.

• Haha 1