Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2022-2023 Fall/Winter Mountains Thread

BlueRidgeFolklore

56 minutes ago, SnowDawg said:

Very jealous of Northern Alabama today. Still holding out hope for later but very skeptical of being able to overcome 30+ point dewpoint depressions.

Nobody’s thrived more than the Tennessee Valley region these past 3 years. I’m not hating on them, but I certainly wish the pendulum would swing to the Apps and eastward for once. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BooneWX said:

Nobody’s thrived more than the Tennessee Valley region these past 3 years. I’m not hating on them, but I certainly wish the pendulum would swing to the Apps and eastward for once. 

That is because Nina has been driving the pattern. The troughs set up too far west for us most of the time and they get in on the goods. It should change once we get out of this Nina driven pattern.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, SnowDawg said:

From what I can tell, basically every county in North GA from the Atlanta area up got anywhere from mood flakes to an inch, except for mine. I try to keep my emotions out of this most the time, but this one stings lol.

SnowDawg,

I am in Cherokee County in Woodstock. I did not receive anything either.  Even Florida received snow flurries I think Saturday.

Just now, Jonathang80 said:

SnowDawg,

I am in Cherokee County in Woodstock. I did not receive anything either.  Even Florida received snow flurries I think Saturday.

That sucks. I figured there'd be some here or there that missed out as well but there was impressively good coverage a cross North GA as a whole. I know I've seen accumulation reports from Southern Gwinnett and other parts of the metro, the Athens area, the southern mtns in Dawson and Forsyth, lots of West GA, and all the northern mtn counties but mine. Hopefully the back half of winter has hope for something bigger.

I figured with a large wrapped up storm, of all places the mtns would have seen sOmEtHiNg.  Isn't there an Upslope effect there?

Pretty disappointing for you guys, for sure.  

This far north and by the lake, we usually do well.  A couple pics from yesterday while down in town.

265031726_thumbnail(6).thumb.jpg.0a323c68087093314c7a1b51ffd2f30f.jpg

203377272_thumbnail(7).thumb.jpg.cc4e7b0caa81fd476ac5450eb65f4d5e.jpg

my place Christmas Day 

D1099057-7A34-4536-B4BA-989FE4A8587B.jpeg

• Like 9

2 hours ago, weatherbo said:

I figured with a large wrapped up storm, of all places the mtns would have seen sOmEtHiNg.  Isn't there an Upslope effect there?

This far north and by the lake, we usually do well.  A couple pics from yesterday while down in town.

my place Christmas Day 

Bo, you embarrass everyone in the snow department.  Except maybe Buffalo this year.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, weatherbo said:

my place Christmas Day 

Thanks for sharing! You always seem to cash in up there in the UP. The flow was crap for true upslope.  It was oriented west that NW like we want it. 

• Like 1

Man I feel so bad for ski resorts. They’ve had several good winters so I guess they were bound to have a dud before long. This torch is going to kill snowmaking - unless it’s Beech where they’ve installed machines that can generate snow at 50 degrees. 
They're making a killing right now. Sugar has been sold out and App Ski is doing really well. All the tubing places around have been booked up all week as well.

We've been doing insane business at the store this week as well. I'm pretty much out of hats/gloves. Been crazy. I swear the entire city of Miami is in Boone/Blowing Rock right now.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, BooneWX said:

Man I feel so bad for ski resorts. They’ve had several good winters so I guess they were bound to have a dud before long. This torch is going to kill snowmaking - unless it’s Beech where they’ve installed machines that can generate snow at 50 degrees. 

You are not serious ...... the skis resorts have a deep base right now and they will survive a couple of weeks warmer weather just fine. I promise you that there is plenty of winter to come.

• Like 1

Wondering if anyone has looked at Next Friday and think there’s a chance for that to trend better for the region. GFS had an interesting solution at 6z that I imagine wouldn’t be too far fetched to trend for some snow for the Mountains - but then again, I know very little and only spend a month or two a year up here, so don’t know all the nuances. 

29 minutes ago, Ja643y said:

Wondering if anyone has looked at Next Friday and think there’s a chance for that to trend better for the region. GFS had an interesting solution at 6z that I imagine wouldn’t be too far fetched to trend for some snow for the Mountains - but then again, I know very little and only spend a month or two a year up here, so don’t know all the nuances. 

Yeah, it's at that "watch the trends" stage right now. However, I believe the higher elevations certainly have a shot with this one.

You guys need the luck of Reno, Nevada. Yesterday into last night a cold Tonopah Low mixed with an atmospheric river. This isn’t too common as atmospheric rivers usually bring warmer temperatures and higher snow levels.

Snow Levels hovered around 4000 feet yesterday and Reno area received 6 to 12 inches of snow in town, with much heavier amounts in the mountains. 

Snow in Reno is pretty common, but 6-12 inches is a once every 2-3 years event.

The oceanic climate of the blue ridge mountains sounds beautiful, although I didn’t envy the cold we also got a taste of earlier in the week when Gainesville got down to 21 degrees.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, IowaStorm05 said:

You guys need the luck of Reno, Nevada. Yesterday into last night a cold Tonopah Low mixed with an atmospheric river. This isn’t too common as atmospheric rivers usually bring warmer temperatures and higher snow levels.

Snow Levels hovered around 4000 feet yesterday and Reno area received 6 to 12 inches of snow in town, with much heavier amounts in the mountains. 

The oceanic climate of the blue ridge mountains sounds beautiful, although I didn’t envy the cold we also got a taste of earlier in the week when Gainesville got down to 21 degrees.

Yeah the west has been getting hammered this season. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IowaStorm05 said:

Not a good time to go hiking through Donner Pass

Happy New Year everyone!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Crazy how just a mountain range away can be so different.  

I can’t think of any other mountainous area in the lower 48 that has as varied weather over such short distances. This month alone I’ve seen it clear back towards Crabtree Bald, some clouds at my house coming over the top of the ridge and then the Buncombe side be socked in. 

• Like 1