Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2022-2023 Fall/Winter Mountains Thread

BlueRidgeFolklore

17 hours ago, WxKnurd said:

Colder back home for the highs than out here in the Colorado mountains this week! Was cold this morning at 20 degrees down in the “lower” 7000’ terrain but shot up to the 50’s and 60’s quick.  Hate I missed the first taste of winter l but the views out here while chasing elk were hard to beat. 

117A93AC-106A-4B3C-BD59-6AF8FAEB694A.jpeg

621A974A-B310-4FB6-8261-2AB2975EF527.jpeg

CEC03138-CE03-487F-B280-5F6C7AD066F8.jpeg

Sweet setup! Love the Kifaru bag. Which gaiters are you wearing? 

The morning lows are quite drastic here in the Catawba valley. Saturday I had a high of 70 and a morning low of 28. Sunday morning it was 30 and 75 as a high. Last night it was 33 (5 nights of frost in a row) and could be close to 80 today. 

All of these lows were pretty much well below what was forecasted. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Maggie Ace said:

44 here this morning, but low stratus hanging over the Valley was the culprit. Fingers crossed the rain chances hold for Sunday into Monday. We are getting terribly dry here in Haywood County. 

I figured y’all picked up a little Tuesday night. We only got 0.21” but it definitely made a difference for the good. Hopefully we can all get some rain over the weekend.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sw NC weather said:

I figured y’all picked up a little Tuesday night. We only got 0.21” but it definitely made a difference for the good. Hopefully we can all get some rain over the weekend.

Funny thing is I got .3" here with everything soaked from the road to the lawn but then Ace only got a trace. Crazy how big microclimate plays around here.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Funny think is I got .3" here with everything soaked from the road to the lawn but then Ace only got a trace. Crazy how big microclimate plays around here.

The microclimates here in the Mountains are absolutely fascinating. That’s a huge difference for y’all, with the close proximity. Hopefully one day I’ll get to compile some numbers for different ones here in Macon County.

• Like 2

On 10/20/2022 at 11:21 AM, BlueRidgeFolklore said:

Sweet setup! Love the Kifaru bag. Which gaiters are you wearing? 

Just now saw this.  That bag is the Hellbender, picked it up at the Park City Total Archery Challenge back in July, replaces my .22 mag for my daypack and 1-3 night bag.  The gaiter are Outdoor Vision’s.  I have their originals but needed a new set.  They are sweet but tore a hole in the upper material navigating a burn area (not as durable upper material now IMO), should be able to sew them up. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Sw NC weather said:

The microclimates here in the Mountains are absolutely fascinating. That’s a huge difference for y’all, with the close proximity. Hopefully one day I’ll get to compile some numbers for different ones here in Macon County.

Met is 200’ lower in elevation than me, is maybe 2 miles away as the crow flies and seems to just about always bottom out a little colder than me.  Gotta love how our topography and its orientation play a role in all aspects of our weather. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, WxKnurd said:

Met is 200’ lower in elevation than me, is maybe 2 miles away as the crow flies and seems to just about always bottom out a little colder than me.  Gotta love how our topography and its orientation play a role in all aspects of our weather. 

I honestly think it's because im kind of in a hollar with that elevation.  The microclimate here in Haywood is absolutely fascinating.  

• Like 2

Yeah a surprising 30 degrees this morning with heavy frost. Looks like the next few weeks we see a relaxation in the pattern and all the cold air will be locked up in Canada.  The NAO will be positive but just slightly and the PNA will be negative but not on roids so we may be above average for November but I think not much has to happen to have December in play for cold and snow.

• Like 1

Kinda boring weather wise right now (we won't talk about the end of the 18z GFS), so check out my backyard today! The first two were around 11am of a new 8 point I've never seen. Then another new absolute unit of an 8 point showed up this afternoon with two 6 pointers in tow.

As you can see, we had a bumper crop of acorns this year.a77d0c0507ee7b923c163f31a6ac5cac.jpge0013b8632b647b8887debb3a4b1cd5a.jpg7bf039691958a454568af9997dbc27fd.jpged7b74deea78bc84bcfcdb63b116bc22.jpge70b5899b6c2fd50d71771ba3260b7a0.jpg12f8c4875fc7015ae76b8cded55e2768.jpg

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

• Like 11