Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Earl

WxWatcher007

• WxWatcher007 changed the title to Tropical Storm Earl—50mph/999mb
4 minutes ago, Superstorm93 said:

Data is starting to backfill now. Center has reformed under the deep convection. 

EARL_NOAA2_0706A_full.png

Thanks. It looks like you can see it getting pulled back under the deeper convection on radar which is pretty cool. I wonder if it’s going to be able to sustain with shear nearby. 

• Like 1

Here we go again with the EPS. On the 12z, 5 of 51 (10%) hit the US as hurricanes 9/13-16 (2 FL 9/13 and 9/14), 2 hit NC (9/14 and 9/16), and 1 hits ME (9/14). Also, a few others are close.

On the 18Z GFS, 2 of 31 (6%) hit the US as a H on 9/14 (1-NC, 1-VA).

This is mainly for the record as it is just a longshot for a US hit as opposed to a concern at this time. However, it may be a bigger threat for the Canadian Maritimes. Also, Bermuda may need to watch this. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GaWx said:

Here we go again with the EPS. On the 12z, 5 of 51 (10%) hit the US as hurricanes 9/13-16 (2 FL 9/13 and 9/14), 2 hit NC (9/14 and 9/16), and 1 hits ME (9/14). Also, a few others are close.

On the 18Z GFS, 2 of 31 (6%) hit the US as a H on 9/14 (1-NC, 1-VA).

This is mainly for the record as it is just a longshot for a US hit as opposed to a concern at this time. However, it may be a bigger threat for the Canadian Maritimes. Also, Bermuda may need to watch this. 

I noticed that slower camp on the gefs left it behind and turned it west again. It would be something to watch in real time if he is slower to lift out than modeled. That would be a nod to those ensemble members but it's not something thats likely to happen.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, shaggy said:

I noticed that slower camp on the gefs left it behind and turned it west again. It would be something to watch in real time if he is slower to lift out than modeled. That would be a nod to those ensemble members but it's not something thats likely to happen.

After posting that, I compared the 18Z EPS 132-144 tracks to the 12Z EPS 138-150 tracks. This suggests that the 18Z would very likely have had fewer, if any, threaten the US. So, it may be just another one of those fluky EPS runs like we had a couple of days ago.

• WxWatcher007 changed the title to Tropical Storm Earl—65mph/998mb
7 minutes ago, Normandy said:

Some kind of re-organization going on with the MLC and LLC.

Per recon, the center has aligned. The shear hasn’t been enough to stop this progression so I’d be surprised if we didn’t get more short term intensification now that the vortex is fully upright. 

• WxWatcher007 changed the title to Tropical Storm Earl—70mph/991mb
  • WxWatcher007 changed the title to Tropical Storm Earl—65mph/995mb

The guidance consensus is pretty damn boring on how Earl is just ejected ENE. I believe there’s too much certainty being placed in this. If you dig into the modeling a bit you can reveal this facade though. The individual members of the GEFS does just that.  I mean, ots, sure *eventually*. That’s the forecast right now. But I’m seeing a storm that’s weaker than expected this hour, a fujiwara interaction off the mid Atlantic coast and a Greenland block potentially building over top before Earl is kicked east. If just one of these 3 elements breaks in favor of less progressive, Earl is not disappearing in the next 5 days.

A weaker storm does raise the odds that the fujiwara acts less of a kick and more of a phase, so there’s that. It also mitigates risk of Earl finding a subtle ridge break before the block builds over top. 

Putting impact affects aside, I believe Earl is gonna be kicking around in our region of the Atlantic a lot longer than these op runs are illustrating. Maybe it means little in the end, but at least something to monitor with interest.

• Like 4

I just want to mention that Earl is far from a lock to become a MH. It has a VERY short window to attain major status, will be doing so at an unusually high latitude to support a major, and will need several complex interactions in a quasi favorable environment for this to happen. I think the storm becomes a strong hurricane but I would expect guidance to tick down a few notches before earl gets into its intensifying phase, due to a complex upper level environment and marginal SSTs and shear conditions. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, jbenedet said:

The guidance consensus is pretty damn boring on how Earl is just ejected ENE. I believe there’s too much certainty being placed in this. If you dig into the modeling a bit you can reveal this facade though. The individual members of the GEFS does just that.  I mean, ots, sure *eventually*. That’s the forecast right now. But I’m seeing a storm that’s weaker than expected this hour, a fujiwara interaction off the mid Atlantic coast and a Greenland block potentially building over top before Earl is kicked east. If just one of these 3 elements breaks in favor of less progressive, Earl is not disappearing in the next 5 days.

A weaker storm does raise the odds that the fujiwara acts less of a kick and more of a phase, so there’s that. It also mitigates risk of Earl finding a subtle ridge break before the block builds over top. 

Putting impact affects aside, I believe Earl is gonna be kicking around in our region of the Atlantic a lot longer than these op runs are illustrating. Maybe it means little in the end, but at least something to monitor with interest.

Great post.  I had the same thoughts but could never have spoken them like a pro.

• WxWatcher007 changed the title to Tropical Storm Earl—70mph/991mb TS Watch for Bermuda
  • WxWatcher007 changed the title to Hurricane Earl—80mph/985mb TS Watch for Bermuda