• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Fall 2022 OBS Thread

Rtd208

About a 10 degree difference in temperatures across Chester County PA this morning over just a couple miles based on elevation. For example here in East Nantmeal at ~700 ft ASL we are at 41.4 while down at lake level at Marsh Creek at ~400 ft they are at 32.0...great example of radiational cooling with relative low spots dropping well below the somewhat higher spots.
Temps head back above normal today through Saturday with heavy rain from the tropical storm impacting us starting by Friday AM. Temperatures will then fall to below normal for almost every day through Thanksgiving day which is just 2 weeks from today.
The record high for today is 73 degrees set in 1931. Our record low is 16 degrees from 1973. Daily rainfall record is the 2.05" that fell way back in 1898. The daily snowfall record is just 0.1" that fell in 1987 - that was a storm that ended the following day delivering 4.8" of snow to the County.
image.png.05f9f7fb66a915eb4e2db41602052a69.png

Only thing I can say right now about long range.....models are throwing chances our way. Probably a few weeks too early for anything major widespread, but the fact that guidance is throwing us chances repeatedly is certainly NOT discouraging right now. Some years we didn't even get digital snow modeled until January, so we take for now.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

The impacts of Tropical Storm Nicole will move across the area today and tonight....with a cold front then passing the area by very early Saturday morning. We could see between 1" to 2" of rain across Chester County before the front sweeps the rain out to sea tomorrow. Much colder air will build across the area starting tomorrow night with temperatures likely to remain well below normal for most of the time over the next 2 weeks. We may also see our 1st snow chances (at least in the air) on Tuesday night into Wednesday morning.
The record high for today is 73 degrees set back in 1949. Our record low was the 19 degrees in 1957. Daily rainfall record is the 2.38" from 1995. The daily snow record is the 4.7" that fell today back in 1987.
image.png.4a35e3f6754b70b0d284ee4ad6c8559a.png

Lessee where I left off... ended up with highs/lows of 53/44 (Tues), 53/37 (Wed), and 67/38 (Thurs).  After a low of 56 earlier this morning, I also had a light passing shower deposit 0.02" but now steadier light rain has overspread the area and I'm up to 0..07" so far.

It's currently 63 with light rain and dp 63.

1 minute ago, Maxwell03 said:

Not unusual for a cold season warm-up preceding a frontal passage. It is unusual to throw a tropical system into the mix. 

Well the "S word" storm was an example of one and 2012 was also a La Nina ENSO year - https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/access/monitoring/monthly-report/summary-info/global/201212#:~:text=2012 was also warmest "La,La Niña year on record.

• Like 2

Very dark dank and dreary here in Media Delaware County we had a few waves of heavy rain, but everything has ended and lifted off to the NNE.  Wind is now beginning to pick up out of the South.  Winds on the order of 10-15 with a few gusts to 25mph.  Total rain here is 1.25" as of 3:20 pm.  We had 0.46" at 1:40 PM so that gives you an idea of the intensity of the heavy rain bands that moved though.  No significant flooding that I saw outside of a small intersection that had 2 feet of water due to water runoff and leaves probably blocking the drain. 

• Weenie 1

5 hours ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

CMC still has the coastal low and wet snow N and W for Nov 16. Would be impressive if the GFS I posted on Nov 2 actually sniffed this one out.

gem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_19.thumb.png.ad3556ebeff8ba77cb2e3e810e706eea.png

First system next week isn't going to work too much southeast ridge. That weekend could pull it off probably cold enough need with a proper shortwave.

After that beyond day 10 there are indications we start to flood with Pacific air and the door shuts. 

3 hours ago, RedSky said:

Save the planet car wash 

I went ghetto...

Believe it or not you pay more for sewage than for the water itself. If you're a weather/radar nut, plan ahead and let mother nature pay for rinsing/sewage expense. First round rinsed well. And with another rinsing line forming after midnight to the W swinging east I may wash again along w/free rinsing, maybe some boomers/wind as a added bonus. I'll have the cleanest GD car in town.....hands down!

69F/ DP 67F at 10:25pm...nice breeze.

line.jpg

28 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

I went ghetto...

Believe it or not you pay more for sewage than for the water itself. If you're a weather/radar nut, plan ahead and let mother nature pay for rinsing/sewage expense. First round rinsed well. And with another rinsing line forming after midnight to the W swinging east I may wash again along w/free rinsing, maybe some boomers/wind as a added bonus. I'll have the cleanest GD car in town.....hands down!

69F/ DP 67F at 10:25pm...nice breeze.

line.jpg

Not in the forecast, but some hail would be a nice touch as well.

37 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Line picking up a little steam to the SW...

line69.jpg

Yes indeed. Snuck in here pretty quickly! Might get some wind with it. Only had stronger breezes here for a little while this afternoon, but I heard that sound of strong wind blowing through leafless trees for the first time this fall. A different kind of roar, I like it, although it's easier on the skin when its 68 degrees out.

Screenshot_20221111-235102_copy_1006x1400_copy_344x478.png.66dae20a349e64e0f17c5cbcfdb349d9.png

Looks like .80” for a total, 63F/DP 55F.

Despite lack of heavy rains and winds that never got much above “breezy”, I still managed to have a tree come down last night. Fortunately it’s down by my creek and didn’t land on anything.

Still, I better get it cleaned up before it’s buried under feet of snow in a few weeks.

Total rain over the last 2 days was 0.93" with 0.10" falling today since midnight. We have already recorded our high temp for today of 67.1 at midnight. Becoming sunny and breezy today with temps falling back into the 50's by sunset. More showers and much chillier late tonight with temps in the low 40's by Sunday AM. Our temps will now remain well below normal for most of the next couple weeks. There is also a chance of some rain later Tuesday night and I suspect some higher elevation areas in Chester and Berks counties over 600ft ASL could see our first few flakes of the season mixing in with temps in the mid 30's.
Our record high for today is 76 way back in 1912. The record low is 15 degrees set back in 1926. The daily rainfall record is 1.40" from 1970. Our daily snow record is 2.8" today back in 1968.
image.png.9280dd4b49af47c6c9ca322f102abf57.png

11 of our first 12 days this month have averaged well (+11.5 degrees) above normal. This is by far the warmest first 12 days to start November in Chester County history. The top 5 warmest prior to 2022 were: 1935 (55.4)/2020 (55.3)/1975 (55.1)/2015 (55.0) and 1946 (54.9). Now after that warm start we will do what the climate likes to do....even things out with a now well below normal stretch of weather over at least the next 2 weeks. Today will likely average above normal only because our high temperature occurred at midnight at 55.1. With the exception of Tuesday night expect below freezing low temperatures across the entire county for the next couple of weeks. We should see rain overspreading the county starting on Tuesday evening....this may start as a little wet snow or sleet in some spots in NW Chester County. It looks like another 0.50" to 1.00" of rain with that system.
The record high temperature for today is 78 degrees set in 1902. The record low is 17 degrees set in 1920. The daily rain record is 2.33" set in 1904. The daily snow record occurred just 8 years ago when 1.5" fell in 2014.
image.png.60485567e8fbba562523f0c3d7942a83.png