Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Fall 2022 OBS Thread

Rtd208

1 hour ago, Superstorm93 said:

Been poking around all other regions, but did any of you guys hear or see any non-coastal flooding (street/stream/creek) over the last several days? 

Not west of Philly at any rate. Sunday was the heaviest rain, about 2.5 inches here, but mostly there wasn't a whole lot of runoff, a very user friendly 4.75" total here over 6 days.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Superstorm93 said:

Been poking around all other regions, but did any of you guys hear or see any non-coastal flooding (street/stream/creek) over the last several days? 

Not that I'm aware of in my neck of the woods. Towamencin township canceled a scheduled movie night in Fischer's Park for this evening, but they said it was due to the park being "waterlogged". No mention of flooding.

The creek in my backyard stayed in it's banks. Looks like an unofficial 5.75" event total here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KamuSnow said:

Not west of Philly at any rate. Sunday was the heaviest rain, about 2.5 inches here, but mostly there wasn't a whole lot of runoff, a very user friendly 4.75" total here over 6 days.

Perfect way to end a drought.  3-7 inches of rain over a 5 day period.  That amount over a day could have been bad for some areas.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Superstorm93 said:

The city was briefly under a flood advisory in the mid afternoon of Sunday (Oct. 2, 2022).  There was also an underlay of a coastal flood advisory for the metro area.  I wasn't out in any of it but I registered 1.95" of rain just for that day, the most for a daily total out of the 6 days that we got some kind of precipitation.

Where I live with a number of hills, I know there are a couple low lying areas near the little feeder creeks that feed the Wissahickon Creek that probably generated some minor street flooding.  One such stretch was literally closed for months a year ago as part of a planned project to improve the drainage issues from rain runoff.  Never got chance to see if the improvements worked or not.

nws-floodadv-phi-stormwarning-highwindwarning-floodadv-windadv-highsurfadv-phiarea-10022022.PNG

21 minutes ago, BBasile said:

Perfect way to end a drought.  3-7 inches of rain over a 5 day period.  That amount over a day could have been bad for some areas.   

Yeah, not how we normally get that amount of rain. We have a well, and we had also seeded some areas recently, so having most of it soak in was ideal!

• Like 1

Warmest day for the next week on tap for today. With above average temps in the low 70's today. A cold front will cross the county late tonight with a slight chance of a brief shower. Following the front winds will shift to the northwest and be a bit gusty tomorrow. Temps by Saturday morning will fall into the low 40's - highs tomorrow will struggle to pass the mid-50's despite a sunny day. By the way - Go Phillies!!!!
The record high for today is 90 degrees set in 1941 that is the 2nd latest 90 degree reading in Chester County history. The latest 90 plus day was on October 16, 1897 when it hit 94 degrees! The record low for today is 27 degrees set in 1923. The daily rainfall record is 1.48" set back in 1965.
image.png.e6d254070beabcc00393a0160e82767e.png

My high yesterday reached 72, a far cry from highs in the 50s the prior couple days.  The low this morning was 54.    Am bringing the sensitive potted tropicals in right now -  I usually do that over the Columbus Day weekend anyway (I know they hated those 40s which came earlier than normal).  The subtropials should be fine for now.

It's currently 72 with plenty of sunshine and blue sky, and with a dp of 55. 

A beautiful autumnal weekend on the way. Today and tomorrow will struggle to escape the 50's in many spots. Tonight we run a risk in some of the lower valley locations in Chester County to see our first frost.
Our record high for today is 85 degrees set back in 1916. The record low is 28 degrees in 1904. The daily rainfall record is 2.43" set back in 1903.
image.png.a04bbf3dcf07dc6b500f46bf2ba76ef8.png

Made it up to 75 yesterday, warmer than Thursday and had a low of 46 this morning once the chilly air behind the cold front trickled in.  I actually had a passing shower overnight between 2 - 3 am giving me 0.04" of rain.

It's currently mostly sunny and 55 with some cumulus bubbling in, and a dp that has been slowly dropping to a current 40.

Got up to 60 as a high yesterday but the winds went calm here overnight, and with clear skies and a setting Full Hunter's Moon, the temp is reflecting the efficient radiational cooling.  So far I dipped to 38 here for a low in NW Philly and am still over an hour before sunrise.

Currently clear, moonlit, and 38 with dp 37.

Another morning with some 30's in many lower spots around the county. In East Nantmeal we only made it down to 41.0....Beautiful start to the week but still a bit chilly for early October. Showers look to arrive toward Thursday morning. Should clear out and be sunny and cool for Phillies at the bank next weekend!
The record high for today is 88 degrees in 1939. The record low is 24 degrees in 1929. The daily rainfall record is 3.19" set way back in 1894.
image.png.517464824b28748aa8cbe12d1ea9db7a.png

2 hours ago, zenmsav6810 said:

Praying for a dry week this week. My dad and I tore our roof off... we found a bunch of rot in the deck that had to be patched. We weren't able to get it all finished and tar papered before we ran out of daylight yesterday. Hopefully we can get the patching done tonight and get the tar paper on tomorrow. 

You should be good through Wednesday. Shorter days make it tough... Good luck!

Yesterday was the 8th below normal temperature day over the 1st 10 days of the month of October here in Chester County PA. If you think this has been an unusually chilly start you are correct. This is the coldest 1st 10 days in October in 34 years dating back to 1988. The average temp has been 51.9 - this is the 13th chilliest start to October since NWS Coop records began in 1894. The chilliest was the 48.5 from 1935 - followed by the 48.9 in 1974.
The record high for today is 87 degrees set in 1904. The record low is 23 degrees from 1929. Record daily rainfall is the 1.37" that fell today in 1902.
image.png.f65b1e32aabf390a53a32d1b3911e7cf.png

Increasing clouds today with slightly above normal temps. Showers and some heavier rains arrive tomorrow with generally 0.50" to 1.00" of rain with more across western areas of the county. Dry and near normal temperatures over the weekend before a turn to sharply colder by early next week.
The record high for today is 86 degrees set in 1962. The record low is 27 degrees set in 1964. The daily rainfall record is 2.96" set way back in 1904.
Go Phillies!!!!!!!!!!!
image.png.bc33b4787dd09b88f863acb35a5b7cb1.png

We have had an amazing run of days since the weekend, where I eventually reached a high of 61 Sunday, 66 on Monday (low of 41), 71 on Tuesday (low of 47), and 69 yesterday after a low of 45.  The dry run comes to end today with SPC SWDY1 highlighting our CWA as "Marginal Risk" -

It's currently overcast ad 61 (after an earlier low of 59) with dp 59.

Showers today with the cold front passage. Rainfall amounts will average between 0.50" to 1.00" across Chester County. Following this front a beautiful autumnal weekend in store. With temps a little below normal tomorrow and near normal on Saturday. Another cold front passes on Monday with the chilliest weather so far this season on the way. Temps on Tuesday may not get out of the 40's in some of the higher spots across the county. Many spots could see their 1st freezing temps by Wednesday morning.
The record high for today is 87 degrees from 1957. The record low is 27 degrees in 1906. The daily rainfall record is 2.03" from 1927.
image.png.c0079e8a6f6130b237154b74f9e98fad.png