Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
E PA/NJ/DE Fall 2022 OBS Thread

Rtd208

5 hours ago, RedSky said:

With winter cold this would have been worse than the blizzard of 1888, and centered over the Delaware Valley/central Jersey.

There would have been daily forecast changes too having to add additional feet of snow as new information was coming in..

KYW/Elliot Abrams did this w/the 1983 Blizzard. Every time they checked in w/him he upped the totals....my brain exploded. Not feet but inches. Best drifting storm of my life...could only see the roof of my father's car and 1/3/1/2 way neighbors house.

Light rain/mist 46F

Batch forming offshore right in time for the high tide at the shore...

batch.jpg

Magicseaweed recently quoted me and featured 2 of my images in their article about the Hurricane Fiona swell here in NJ (9/23).  I've been reading these writeups for the past 5 years, and casually shooting waves when out of the water for just as long, so I'm really stoked to be featured my first time submitting content!

Read the aricle here: https://magicseaweed.com/news/gallery-hurricane-fiona/12974/

20220923_184443(1)_(1)_960_720_s.jpg

DSC_06702_960_636_s.jpg

• Like 8

Up to 4.55" here for the event, about a half an inch since midnight. Just looked at the 12z GFS run, and after tomorrow it's pretty much dry to the end of its run (Oct. 20th). FWIW of course, and likely to change.

It will be nice to dry out, and especially to see the sun. I have vague memories of it, lol.

8 hours ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

I'm wondering what our record low max is - have been trying to dig around for it.

If this setup had occurred in February, we would have been buried. It would have been "Tug Hill Plateau South" territory.  :o

Ironically 3 years ago around this time, Philly hit 95 (Oct. 2) - https://www.inquirer.com/weather/philadelphia-weather-record-heat-autumn-rain-20191002.html

It's currently misty and 45 with dp 44.  I finished up with 0.69" of rain yesterday and with the 0.24" that I have received since midnight, I am now at 4.52" for the event (since last Friday).   Doing  a 10:1 ratio on that is scary. :lol:

They had a list of record low maxes for the area in Mt. Holly's forecast discussion yesterday and again today. Yesterday was 52 at PHL and today is 55. Decent chance it seems of breaking today's record, not sure how yesterday turned out.

Approaching 5.5" for an event total so far, 48F.

Starting to see color in the trees already. Not sure what that's about but way ahead of last year. We took the fall excursion on the Ivyland-New Hope RR late last October and the canopy was still mostly green .

On 10/3/2022 at 4:58 PM, stemwinder said:

1.46" since then.  Still coming. :o  Here overlooking the D&R Canal in W Windsor.

1.91" of new rainfall.  It's adding up, on a miserable day.  Give me Indian Summer, please. It will be better, now that the soil is better moisturized.  Maybe a good Fall Foliage season after all.  

edit: 4.26" for the event so far - but my dinky rain gauge is on the West side of my building, as far as possible out of the rain shadow.  More coming, I'm sure. - edit - final ..08": total is 4.34.

1 hour ago, KamuSnow said:

They had a list of record low maxes for the area in Mt. Holly's forecast discussion yesterday and again today. Yesterday was 52 at PHL and today is 55. Decent chance it seems of breaking today's record, not sure how yesterday turned out.

Yeah I finally saw something in today's AFD about potential record low max (I usually look at the 4 am and 4 pm - or thereabouts - ones each day and that wasn't in there until late last night and then through the day today - meant to scroll all the way down to check earlier this morning). 

.CLIMATE...
Record cool maximum temperatures are possible today .

Site Today
PHL  55/2010
ILG  53/2010
ABE  52/2010
ACY  55/1987
TTN  52/1998
RDG  51/1974
GED  50/1974
MPO  45/2003
55N  45/1912

&&

I also saw mention of an RER for PHL for Oct. 2 rain and for ACY/AC Marina for Oct. 3 rain -

SXUS71 KPHI 030641
RERPHL

RECORD EVENT REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ
0209 AM EDT MON OCT 03 2022

...RECORD DAILY MAXIMUM RAINFALL SET AT PHILADELPHIA PA...

A RECORD RAINFALL OF 1.99 INCHES WAS SET AT PHILADELPHIA PA 
YESTERDAY OCTOBER 2ND. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 1.80 INCHES SET 
IN 2015.

$$

MLB

SXUS71 KPHI 040618
RERACY

RECORD EVENT REPORT
0207 AM EDT TUE OCT 04 2022

...RECORD DAILY MAXIMUM RAINFALL SET AT ATLANTIC CITY NJ...

A RECORD RAINFALL OF 1.57 INCHES WAS SET AT ATLANTIC CITY NJ 
YESTERDAY OCTOBER 3RD. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 1.17 INCHES SET 
IN 2009.

$$

MLB

SXUS71 KPHI 040617
RER55N

RECORD EVENT REPORT
0207 AM EDT TUE OCT 04 2022

...RECORD DAILY MAXIMUM RAINFALL SET AT ATLANTIC CITY MARINA...

A RECORD RAINFALL OF 1.28 INCHES WAS SET AT ATLANTIC CITY MARINA 
YESTERDAY OCTOBER 3RD. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 1.12 INCHES SET 
IN 1987.

$$

MLB

Meanwhile I'm now up to 0.64" for the day (4.92" since last Friday).  Currently in another lull and it's a misty 50 with dp 49.

2 hours ago, JTA66 said:

Approaching 5.5" for an event total so far, 48F.

Starting to see color in the trees already. Not sure what that's about but way ahead of last year. We took the fall excursion on the Ivyland-New Hope RR late last October and the canopy was still mostly green .

Bunch of yellows starting to fall.

48F, misty. Stuff a little later...

ll.jpg

Eventually picked up a total of 0.69" of rain yesterday and along with another 0.02" so far this morning, that brings me to a total of 4.99" since last Friday.

Low yesterday was 45 and I reached a high of 51.

There has been some non-diurnal warming overnight so it's currently 54 and misty, with dp 53.

• Like 1

Another 0.43" of rain fell overnight. Bringing our 5 day rain total since Saturday to 4.12". Today should be the last day with measurable rain for at least the next week! Temperatures tomorrow and Friday could reach 70 degrees especially in the lower spots of Chester County PA. However, temperatures again fall off sharply starting Saturday with a stretch of below normal temps again through at least next Tuesday.
The record high for today is 94 degrees from 1941. The record low is 28 degrees from 1965. The daily rainfall record is 2.04" set way back in 1902.
image.png.7740adb41c7a22d261b0ffcb55b588d2.png
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, BBasile said:

Looks like I'm not gonna reach 7 inches of rainfall.  Only 0.01" today.  Storm total is now sitting at 6.71".   This storm dropped more rain here than even Irene, albeit, in more time as well.  Impressive nonetheless.  

Looks pretty impressive and more organized on the sat this morning!

Temp in IMBY has crept up to 55 with dp 55 and it's overcast and misty.

COD-GOES-East-regional-eastcoast.truecolor.20221005.121617-over=map-bars-truecolor-10052022.gif

• Like 1

Received 1.9" yesterday to bring my October total to 3.38". Not bad! Yesterday driving home from work I noticed the Skook near my house looking a lot healthier than it has all summer.

I know a lot of people are bummed out by the constant grey and rain we've had for like, 5 days now, but I've really enjoyed this Hurr'easter. 

2 hours ago, CoolHandMike said:

Received 1.9" yesterday to bring my October total to 3.38". Not bad! Yesterday driving home from work I noticed the Skook near my house looking a lot healthier than it has all summer.

I know a lot of people are bummed out by the constant grey and rain we've had for like, 5 days now, but I've really enjoyed this Hurr'easter. 

Not here, I'm enjoying this as well. October is actually feeling/looking like October. Gloomy, brisk, leaves changing colors and falling. Hopefully it's the start of a nice/slow transition into winter without any heat spikes... 

Overcast/55F 

1 hour ago, Birds~69 said:

Not here, I'm enjoying this as well. October is actually feeling/looking like October. Gloomy, brisk, leaves changing colors and falling. Hopefully it's the start of a nice/slow transition into winter without any heat spikes... 

Overcast/55F 

Agreed! After a long, hot, humid, dry summer, several October days of raw, rainy, windy conditions are more than welcome IMBY. Besides, winter will be here soon enough and we'll go on a 3-4 month stretch of above average temps. :sun:

Already pushing 60F here, sitting at 59F. May have to open a window or two this afternoon.

31 minutes ago, JTA66 said:

Agreed! After a long, hot, humid, dry summer, several October days of raw, rainy, windy conditions are more than welcome IMBY. Besides, winter will be here soon enough and we'll go on a 3-4 month stretch of above average temps. :sun:

Already pushing 60F here, sitting at 59F. May have to open a window or two this afternoon.

Just getting a normal/below normal December would be a change of pace in many years. This October so far has been "what I remember" Octobers used to be and it looks to continue. Hopefully this overall pattern continues and wouldn't mind another hurricane/tropical storm/Nor'easter slamming us...

Overcast/mist, 58F

58.jpg

Well the doppler has thinned out considerably although when I popped by the supermarket earlier this morning, a thin band decided to set up over my area and I got some measurable stratiform-like rain.   So that brought me to 0.05" so far today and tipped me over the 5" mark at 5.02" since last Friday.

After the damp, wet chill of the 40s yesterday, today's continued temp rise was distinctively humid.

It's currently overcast and 60 (so far my high for the day) after a low of 51 earlier this morning, and with a dp of 58.

Zombie Ian is still sitting out there spinning although some of the bands are getting more and more sparse.

COD-GOES-East-regional-eastcoast.truecolor.20221005.201117-over=map-bars-truecolor-10052022.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CoolHandMike said:

Got another .06" this afternoon, and just now the sun popped out. My lawn is GREEN. Looks like a dang post card for Ireland out there. Next couple of days should be nice, more of a traditional "Indian Summer" if it's still ok to call it that. It's been a good false fall this year!

nNjMKbK.png

Best/green/thick it's looked in months. Leaves falling and colder weather moving in so it won't be long lasting.

Squirrels running around like crazy...some fox around here as well.

59F

Saw there were a couple rainfall RERs for MPO and ABE for yesterday (no record low maxes though) -

SXUS71 KPHI 050634
RERMPO

RECORD EVENT REPORT
0205 AM EDT WED OCT 05 2022

...RECORD DAILY MAXIMUM RAINFALL SET AT MOUNT POCONO PA...

A RECORD RAINFALL OF 2.21 INCHES WAS SET AT MOUNT POCONO PA 
YESTERDAY OCTOBER 4TH. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 2.05 INCHES SET 
IN 2021.

$$

MLB

SXUS71 KPHI 050633
RERABE

RECORD EVENT REPORT
0205 AM EDT WED OCT 05 2022

...RECORD DAILY MAXIMUM RAINFALL SET AT ALLENTOWN PA...

A RECORD RAINFALL OF 2.08 INCHES WAS SET AT ALLENTOWN PA YESTERDAY 
OCTOBER 4TH. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 1.70 INCHES SET IN 1927.

$$

MLB

Skies here were finally trying to clear but not fast enough to do so before sunset.  Still mostly cloudy and hanging in there at 60 with dp 59.

Beautiful stretch of autumnal weather starting today. Temps will be near normal today and tomorrow before below normal weather for the weekend into next week.
Our record high for today is 94 degrees from 1900. The record low was 28 degrees from 1965. The daily rainfall record is 2.00" set back in 1932.
image.png.c6e2bc78c435698a6d61b77edb1c751f.png