• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
E PA/NJ/DE Fall 2022 OBS Thread

Rtd208

Here in East Nantmeal I ended with 2.73" of rain. We are now back up to 1.13" above normal precipitation so far here in 2022. Today will be a bit gloomy with some light showers that are backing in off the ocean from the northeast. The on shore flow will keep most spots in the upper 60's today - our normal high for today is 79.0.

image.png.b099685139cc9867bbf2ed82ae7cb8e9.png

2 hours ago, BBasile said:

What a misty, overcast, miserable weather day.   I love it!  Such a relief from that sweatbox people call Florida.  High of 72F today, currently at 70.5.  0.05" of rain on the day.    

Welcome back! Yeah it drizzle-rained all day at my work site in southern NJ. Then I drove through it off and on back up to Reading just now, it was lovely.

Slightly OT, but I took a look around our neighborhood, and it's about 50/50 people who have mowed recently to those who have not. Usually you'll only see the occasional unkempt front yard, so that's pretty telling for just how hot and dry it's been. I'll bet there'll be an army of lawnmowers going tomorrow.

• Thanks 1

My high yesterday ended up being just after midnight at 76 and my low this morning was 68.  And it has stayed around that temp, +/- a couple degrees, much of the day with overcast and mist. I did get some kind of brief shower between 2 - 3 am that deposited 0.01", but the on and off sprinkles today may have been enough to occasionally wet the walk, but were not measurable otherwise - i.e., of the 40 drop variety.

High today was 71 and it's currently 69 and overcast with dp 66.

39 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

74F/DP 62F

I'll say it, we will not see another 90F+ day till 2023...

I was thinking if we can get more rain next week, not only will it help with the drought, but it will also help restore soil moisture. If so, hopefully that can help take the edge off any late season heat.

75F/DP 60F

1 hour ago, JTA66 said:

I was thinking if we can get more rain next week, not only will it help with the drought, but it will also help restore soil moisture. If so, hopefully that can help take the edge off any late season heat.

75F/DP 60F

From mid month on I see mainly 70s (and maybe a freak day(s) of 60s) for highs but more rain would definitely help.

77F/DP 61F  Really a nice day out there...

12 minutes ago, KamuSnow said:

With the additional light rain yesterday, wound up with 1.90" of rain for the event, also the total for September so far. Enjoying the lower temps and the forecast for the next week as well.

Fall is definitely arriving. Cooler temps, windows open overnight, sun angle is fallish and I don't think I heard a single cicada all day....crickets, yes.

77F/DP 60F

I’ve looking over the weather patterns over the eastern Pacific lower 48 Gulf Caribbean and Atlantic all of the upper level lows in southern Atlantic Carribean moisture flows coming from Central America into Eastern Gulf and now the 11th named storm churning up the Baja to Southern California all comes to me to be an east Based El Niño set up??? Thoughts maybe I’m off base. 

An almost perfect Friday across the County. The weekend starts out nice but showers chances increase by Sunday PM. The start of next week looks like some showers are likely before we clear out again by Tuesday PM. Longer term temps looks to average above normal through most of the month of September before a turn to cooler by the final week of September.
Our record high for today is 94 degrees set back in 1959. The record low is 38 degrees from 1984. The daily rainfall record is the 2.15" that fell today in 1902.
image.png.4a6e056a31abd497ec3ea2e94fdcbda4.png

Made it up to 78 as a high yesterday and had a low of 60 this morning.  The humidity has stayed reasonable in any case.

It's currently mostly sunny and 75 with dp 62.

15 hours ago, Kevin Reilly said:

I’ve looking over the weather patterns over the eastern Pacific lower 48 Gulf Caribbean and Atlantic all of the upper level lows in southern Atlantic Carribean moisture flows coming from Central America into Eastern Gulf and now the 11th named storm churning up the Baja to Southern California all comes to me to be an east Based El Niño set up??? Thoughts maybe I’m off base. 

The PAC has had quite a few cyclones the past couple seasons, which has been surprising to me. But NCEP is calling for a 3-pete La Nina (with an assumption of moving to ENSO neutral next spring... but then they said the same thing last year too....lol).

https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/enso_advisory/ensodisc.shtml

91% through November and 80% through to January (and ~54% through to March) - https://www.climate.gov/news-features/blogs/september-2022-la-niña-update-it’s-q-time

CPCoff_ENSOprobs_092022.png

LaNina_winter_flat_1400x933.jpg

On 9/8/2022 at 6:56 PM, Kevin Reilly said:

Assuming you already know it's La Nina are you saying it's behaving like an east based El Nino? Lack of Atlantic tropical activity follows that pattern. Reasonable to think the typical patterns regarding Nina/Nino could be altered. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, RedSky said:

Assuming you already know it's La Nina are you saying it's behaving like an east based El Nino? Lack of Atlantic tropical activity follows that pattern. Reasonable to think the typical patterns regarding Nina/Nino could be altered. 

I have seen a lot of talk about the Tonga Volcanic Eruption that apparently spewed and unprecedented amount of water vapor into the atmosphere this may or may not be having an impact as well.  Think they need more research on this.

Yes, I know it is supposed to be a La Ninia as well too. 

18 hours ago, KamuSnow said:

Got a nice pic of this hawk this morning, he was about 15 feet off the ground. I started taking a video and he decided to take off, and swooped down over me, so close that I felt the breeze from his wings, lol.

2022-09-09-13-58-48_copy_1208x1630_copy_706x953.thumb.jpg.df89c74b3d2d3cb54c8d30149d23f7c7.jpg

That's a baby! A Red-tailed hawk I believe.  He's gonna be big one day!  :D  I've been seeing (and hearing) them flying around here.

10 hours ago, Kevin Reilly said:

I have seen a lot of talk about the Tonga Volcanic Eruption that apparently spewed and unprecedented amount of water vapor into the atmosphere this may or may not be having an impact as well.  Think they need more research on this.

Yes, I know it is supposed to be a La Ninia as well too. 

Forgot about that Tonga explosion.  :o 

Just found this just published by NASA's JPL last month which describes how that differed from previous volcanic eruptions in terms of potential atmospheric changes (the sheer amounts of water vapor blasted into the atmosphere from it vs other volcanoes that were spewing dust and ash) - https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/tonga-eruption-blasted-unprecedented-amount-of-water-into-stratosphere

In any case as an obs, I had my first below-60 low of 57 this morning since June 29 (which back then was a 59).  When I popped out early this morning to look at the Full Harvest Moon as it was starting to set, the "fall" feel was definitely there.

It's' currently mostly sunny and 72 with dp 63 and some wispy cirrus scattered about.

• Like 2

Our morning low here in East Nantmeal was 56.6 degrees this is about 3 degrees below average. Yesterday was our 3rd straight below average temperature day here in Chester County. Today looks to be again just a little below normal but with sunny skies. Clouds will be on the increase tonight with showers likely by tomorrow afternoon, Looks like shower chances will continue till Tuesday morning.
Our record high today is the 99 degrees set back in 1897. The record low is 38 degrees from 1975. The daily rain record occurred back in 2015 when 1.75" of rain was recorded.
image.png.9b39c5c1d9a54a5900f8e5698695f5d6.png
  • Like 1