Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Wake me Up....when September Ends....

40/70 Benchmark

3 hours ago, dendrite said:

Neither HIE nor BML could radiate last night. That wind is ripping. And considering our coldest 850s were easily supposed to be yesterday morning MWN is currently at their coldest temp of the airmass.

37F here but no frost.  Some wind all night.

It is still hammering here at the ski area.  Gondola is on wind hold getting constant 50+ gusts, sustained 40mph.  Rough Saturday to have wind with foliage guests starting to roll in.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Weather up on those ridges is as intense as it gets in the Northeast.   I've seen it snow on the Bigelow range in June.

When I was crossing Katahdin's Knife Edge back on August 6, 1973, I met a family headed the other way.  They said they'd been on that trail about the same date the year before, and the wind and sleet were so fierce they had to drop down the south side a few yards to avoid the pain.

• Like 1

I'm not sure if we'll be able to muster up enough low-level instability to get any couplets to tighten sufficiently. Although the potential for this is probably highest towards the coast where dewpoints could be 3-4°F higher. One thing I do like though is how the storm mode looks to be on the discrete side. Cells will be moving rather quickly too. If any storm could straddle the warm front there would be enhanced shear to work with but you'll still need sufficient CAPE in the lowest few km for anything to tighten. 

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

850 temps moderate rapidly today so we’re not going to get a good radiational cooling night in this airmass. Looks like we’ll get multiple calm nights in the colder airmass next week though. I suspect there will be a lot of first frosts down into CNE with that one. 

Wind here kept temps a few degrees milder than yesterday's low of 39.  Last fall was only the 2nd time in 24 years with first frost in Oct rather than Sept.  Looks like Friday is the only chance to avoid 2 straight non-Sept first frosts.

2 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

I wonder if it's worth starting a severe thread for tomorrow. I say yes 

Needless to say we have a lot of municipal and/or school-related field sport programs that are going on, on Sundays,  pretty much everywhere...   So yeah  - might be worth it.

thing is ...doesn't take a but a 30 mph outflow pulse gust with nickle hail sweeping across a non-suspecting soccer tourney to be an issue.  Don't have to be 'tornadoes' per se.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Is your feed now filled with all posts that include the letters s-t-e-i-n in that order somewhere in the post or user name?  lol I just picture the AI algorithm being like “only show this account these things, he doesn’t click on anything else.”

Literally that’s Steins wife 

• Haha 3

38 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Did anybody else see this moving across the southern horizon around 7:30 PM?

I was at a country ice cream stand in Bernardston with about 10 other people and we all just stood there amazed.   It tracked across the sky from West to East a good minute or so and then completely disappeared.  

835403F7-E133-4D75-8497-0480580C58A1.jpeg

SpaceX stuff 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

SpaceX stuff 

21 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Falcon 9 from FL courtesy of Space X.   Our son saw it.  This pic below is from Maine.  I missed it

FF768611-42BB-48CB-8300-0AF236B36789.jpeg

Thanks.  When I did a quick search all I had found was the cancellation of the Artemis launch.

It was cool to catch, especially because none of us knew what it was.  I've never seen anything like it in person.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I was at a country ice cream stand in Bernardston with about 10 other people and we all just stood there amazed.   It tracked across the sky from West to East a good minute or so and then completely disappeared.  

835403F7-E133-4D75-8497-0480580C58A1.jpeg

Our chief met emailed some amazing pics of this so it must have been pretty widespread 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

835403F7-E133-4D75-8497-0480580C58A1.thumb.jpeg.8a9428ed3bf63b47fe95049f43df316b.jpeg

Also very notable in Boston area ~7:35

Thought it was a helicopter with a back spotlight at first… and thought that’s the most UFO thing I’ve ever seen… nice capture!

Apparently it was visible for much of east coast. Here’s a good video of it:
https://youtu.be/lsERBqrnWqE