Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Wake me Up....when September Ends....

40/70 Benchmark

9 minutes ago, SJonesWX said:

i'm no met, and I do have a crappy ambient weather weather station on wunderground. I know it runs warm based on where it is placed, and i am sure that the rain guage isn't terrible accurate. you know what-I don't care. it gives me an idea of what is going on at my location.

If others use that for "accurate" data, i don't really give a crap. For fully accurate data, go to the closest ASOS.

My ambient seems ok with the rain gauge - and my temps/dews run about 3-5 degrees too high.but thats due to the proximity to the roof. My winds are also junk (way too low) for the same reasons. I need to buy a 6ft pole to get it higher and on the opposite end of the chimney. Once I move and raise it, I may put it online. 

18 minutes ago, SJonesWX said:

i'm no met, and I do have a crappy ambient weather weather station on wunderground. I know it runs warm based on where it is placed, and i am sure that the rain guage isn't terrible accurate. you know what-I don't care. it gives me an idea of what is going on at my location.

If others use that for "accurate" data, i don't really give a crap. For fully accurate data, go to the closest ASOS.

I think I am just going to get a new tipper and cone. Maybe Santa will give that for me. I'll put it online in the spring maybe. 

1 hour ago, BrianW said:

I think HVN's ASOS is located here. 

Can someone run one of those madis quality control checks on it?

Screenshot_20220921-091219_Maps.thumb.jpg.c9a103225fe8de134a9ef2e4e32f2f94.jpg

MADIS isn't always the most reliable, but HVN high temps look they have run really warm for a few years now. Starting in late 2019/early 2020 it seems like the high temps went wacko.

KHVN_MADIS.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

There are times where it just looks whacked out. Not sure if a certain wind direction is an issue or what...just seems very odd at times. It was like 6-8 warmer than surroundings at 8p yesterday. 

When I looked yesterday it was brief when rain was moving in. Once the rain hit the ASOS they wetbulbed down. So I think the 6-8F was okay. But I agree they have seemed to be running a couple too warm for awhile.

The MADIS stuff can be tricky with them on the water as new stations come online inland. MADIS can struggle with coastal locations with the magnitude of the error and can slightly drift as more stations come online. But large, sharp jumps are still a red flag and that image definitely shows there was a step change that fits the ~2F too warm I mentioned.

15 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

MADIS isn't always the most reliable, but HVN high temps look they have run really warm for a few years now. Starting in late 2019/early 2020 it seems like the high temps went wacko.

KHVN_MADIS.png

It's funny, but BDR has the same issue around the same time. Maybe it's a MADIS issue? I'll have to check a few more sites along the coast there.

bdrmadis.png

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dendrite said:

It's funny, but BDR has the same issue around the same time. Maybe it's a MADIS issue? I'll have to check a few more sites along the coast there.

bdrmadis.png

Yeah this seems to be a bug in MADIS checking all the other sites. They all seem to have this weird step-change on high temps around that time. I checked inland sites too like ORH, MMK (not too far form HVN), and IJD.

What's weird is it doesn't seem to affect the night temps at all.

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah this seems to be a bug in MADIS checking all the other sites. They all seem to have this weird step-change on high temps around that time. I checked inland sites too like ORH, MMK (not too far form HVN), and IJD.

What's weird is it doesn't seem to affect the night temps at all.

ISP, BID, and LGA seemed okay. So who knows.

1 hour ago, SouthCoastMA said:

My ambient seems ok with the rain gauge - and my temps/dews run about 3-5 degrees too high.but thats due to the proximity to the roof. My winds are also junk (way too low) for the same reasons. I need to buy a 6ft pole to get it higher and on the opposite end of the chimney. Once I move and raise it, I may put it online. 

For the anemometer, My downeaster is much more accurate then the one that comes with the weather station, I have the Ambient WS-2000, Temp and dew wise, Its usually in line with the ASOS at the airport, But the temp gauge did have a brain fart earlier this year and shows my high temp for the year is 122.6°F though.................:(

11 minutes ago, dryslot said:

For the anemometer, My downeaster is much more accurate then the one that comes with the weather station, I have the Ambient WS-2000, Temp and dew wise, Its usually in line with the ASOS at the airport, But the temp gauge did have a brain fart earlier this year and shows my high temp for the year is 122.6°F though.................:(

i had the same problem once or twice with my ambient station. then it kept happening. I ended up replacing the outdoor array, and it has worked perfect since

18 minutes ago, dryslot said:

6 minutes ago, SJonesWX said:

i had the same problem once or twice with my ambient station. then it kept happening. I ended up replacing the outdoor array, and it has worked perfect since

I'm not sure where sensor 6 is located for my Ambient but it's pretty warm there.

image.png.b6d2d3cf2b78ce6b38eafd1eece5f83c.png

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, dendrite said:

What a fail. 58F

It's been mostly sunny here, bordering on PC, and low 60s which is near the average.  Great day to be out on North Pond, even if the fish weren't very cooperative.

Fall color status:  White ash are nearly 50% changed, though biased high due to the "tanning" of the most humongous seed crop I've ever seen on that species.  More purples than usual too.  Infertile-site red maples are about the same (sans seed, which fell in May).  Many of the rest still think it's met summer.

13 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Just in time for sunset. Now we can fog back up before the fropa.

Yeah, I grabbed a quick hike to enjoy the two hours of sunshine before the next system moves in.  It's that time of year where clouds often win out.

Was a beautiful evening though, pretty warm for the time of year up high in the upper 50s when I was there.

Interesting summit temps today... stuck in mid-40s under the inversion until this afternoon and then the right when it broke the temps shot up into the low 60s.  Almost a 20F gain with the inversion breaking mid-afternoon.

308563493_10104881014938800_554677794880

• Like 5