Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
First Weather Related All-Nighter

40/70 Benchmark

27 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I skipped a week of law school when the models started locking into Feb ‘13. I just went back to find the image.

Feb 5th Euro :o 

90831C63-F6C7-46FA-B439-516470721EB8.jpeg.1d8afa4cacb772f0f1609cb924e4bdd4.jpeg

Oh yeah. I was obsessed with the run-up to that storm as well, especially since the '12 winter and that winter to that date had been abysmal. I just ambled around Cambridge all night watching the drifts pile up and cars gradually disappear. Great storm in Boston, but I'll always be sad I wasn't  home in Hamden for it.

• Like 1

Never really stayed up all night for an event but closest might have been the Halloween 2011 snow storm. Mostly because my brother was visiting us when we lived in Nottingham and he ended up staying the night because roads got pretty treacherous. Just a crazy time having that happen so early in the year. Some time after midnight power was out and we took a walk in the snow out to route 4 to check out the emergency vehicles on scene of a blown transformer. Fun times.

• Like 1

First Novice all nighter was I think Dec 92 heavy wet snow storm, making the 15 drive from my girlfriends at 11pm took 2 hours due to snow and trees down everywhere and having to reroute.

Hurricane Irma was the last; first Hurricane since Bob, and first Fl Hurricane experience.

• Like 1

No all-nighters, but went past midnight during the 1998 ice storm.  In 1976 in Fort Kent when the remnants of Belle put 2 feet of water flowing across Rt 161,  we spent hours into the AM deflecting the flow as it was taking out the foundation of the next-door apartment.  I also tried to keep the larger stones from turning our garden into river bottom, but the silt that covered it wrecked most of the veggies anyway.  Doria (NNJ 1971) woke us up about 2 AM, enabling me to empty our cheap wedge gauge from overflowing, but we went back to sleep.

• Like 2

The closest I came was during a ferocious event in Los Angeles of all places.  It was around 3/1/83 during a strong nino.   The stj was aimed right at us.  I was in a bowling league and never got home before midnight Monday nights.   I probably was home 15 minutes when the line of storms hit with as good as severe as I’ve seen for many hours.  A tornado destroyed the LA Convention Center that night.  When I got to my office (private office in those days) I had to strategically place buckets to catch water from the roof that didn’t hold.  

I have frequently shortened sleep to 3-4 hours during big snow events but never an all nighter and never will unless it’s a necessity such as danger to my family or myself or my home.   

• Like 1

On 8/25/2022 at 12:02 PM, Cyclone-68 said:

Hurricane Gloria in ‘85 for me. Watched the updates the night and days before. Hard to imagine living in an era now when when we could only get updates from TV Mets or radio or the old weather line 

Forgot about that one, spent the night at my girlfriends (now wife) and stayed up most of the night, wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

• Like 1

Hurricane Floyd 1999:

I was the GM of the student radio station at RIC. We decided to make an event out of it. Stayed on the air all night even had an “emergency” plan to rig equipment up to the generator that provided some backup power for lights to stay on the air. Thankfully never came to that.

Turned out to be a good time for all involved. We had internet so we could weather provide updates. We helped keep the students stuck on campus in the dorms entertained so Campus Police left us alone.  By 3am it was more of a party than a broadcast but no one bothered us and we were well provisioned. Floyd wasn’t too bad in Providence where we were so we never lost power.

My mind is fuzzy but we may have somehow won a community service award for that event that year for a bunch of us getting drunk and having a party in the student union. Good times…

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

March 2017 storm that ended up north and west. I think I slept less than 5 hours a night for about 5 nights before that storm, and all for 6 inches of slop/ice. Learned a lesson from that one.

I do the alarm set for 4 thing a bunch too, because nothing beats that dawn stillness

• Like 1