Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Tracking the Tropics

40/70 Benchmark

25 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Fuck

Fatalities confirmed "in the hundreds" in the region, Lee County, Fla., sheriff says on @GMA

Hopefully that is hyperbole. I know people have overestimated those types of numbers in the past. Although I would assume the Sheriff would have better decent first hand knowledge of that kind of info. 

47 minutes ago, dan11295 said:

Hopefully that is hyperbole. I know people have overestimated those types of numbers in the past. Although I would assume the Sheriff would have better decent first hand knowledge of that kind of info. 

I would bet the death toll will be in the dozens at least So many elderly people with big storm surge in various areas. 

• Sad 2

I knew there was more risk to the SE of track but man the worst of the surge seem to hit Naples and Bonita springs with the backside which was stronger and had onshore winds. 

Many elderly in Naples didn’t get much of a warning to get out as all the attention was on Tampa for days then Sarasota Venice and down to fort Myers .

On snap chat you can go to map and scroll to those areas and see all the vids posted . Naples has one of people on a roof of a house that is floating down a totally flooded neighborhood . I’m afraid there will be higher fatalities in coming days from Bonita Springs to Naples and other spots . The ENE ‘ish turn into the coast and then the crawl  after landfall made the angle of approach worse for surge in that Southern area 

The good news is the sheriff is already walking back that statement. Sounds like he just made a (rather irresponsible and probably overestimate) guess. The original tweet thread referenced the "hundreds of body bags" comments after Charley which turned out to be a far from the actual number. 

1 minute ago, Lava Rock said:

It's pathetic we can't get reliable news anymore.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

Someone probably couldn't see it or something maybe. Who knows. It could be damaged too.

I've been there twice, I know exactly where that is. That whole area is a treasure. So sad. 

2 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

I would bet the death toll will be in the dozens at least So many elderly people with big storm surge in various areas. 

Could be a bit of slower burn like Katrina too. Lack of services may lead to fatalities in the coming days, like how even after the worst had passed the levee failures did the bulk of the damage in New Orleans.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Back out over water now. Maybe Ian overperforms again? There’s going to be legit surge along the coastline.

Per NHC Ian is more of a hybrid storm now, that combined with core gone will limit re-intensification. That said, there are going to be coastal flood issues with the large wind field and persistent fetch.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dan11295 said:

Per NHC Ian is more of a hybrid storm now, that combined with core gone will limit re-intensification. That said, there are going to be coastal flood issues with the large wind field and persistent fetch.

I don’t think it’ll blow up to a major or anything like that, but the disco also mentioned having more time over the Gulf Stream, which should help with convection. I do think there’s still a well enough defined center on radar that it could become more of an inner core with time. 

53 minutes ago, dan11295 said:

Looks pretty interesting right now. Also surge flooding on East Coast now exceeded Matthew 

20220929_122434.jpg