Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Tracking the Tropics

40/70 Benchmark

1 hour ago, ROOSTA said:

Not confirmed but reported on local TV station, gusts near LF in the 170 range. Water rescues everywhere.
Moving into feeder band right now. This is knocking power out... see you's all on the otherside.
New Smyrna Beach 74G in the last hour.   

Good luck. Keep us updated if you can.

6 minutes ago, ineedsnow said:

thinking of booking a flight out of BDL to Myrtle beach for 6AM tomorrow most models are south of there but have been trending north..  would it be worth it?

You’d need to head further south, I think, otherwise it’s a waste. It’ll probably degrade quickly if you’re not near the center.

It’s also still unclear how good the structure of Ian will be after it crosses. I think it’ll be a hurricane at the next landfall, but based on the current track it doesn’t look like there’s a lot of time to maximize potential.

If I were chasing, and lord knows I tried figuring it out, I’d probably position in North Charleston and be ready to go west or east. Much of Charleston will be underwater no matter what Ian does so I wouldn’t do that. 

2 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Good luck. Keep us updated if you can.

You’d need to head further south, I think, otherwise it’s a waste. It’ll probably degrade quickly if you’re not near the center.

It’s also still unclear how good the structure of Ian will be after it crosses. I think it’ll be a hurricane at the next landfall, but based on the current track it doesn’t look like there’s a lot of time to maximize potential.

If I were chasing, and lord knows I tried figuring it out, I’d probably position in North Charleston and be ready to go west or east. Much of Charleston will be underwater no matter what Ian does so I wouldn’t do that. 

I was thinking Charleston but its double the price.. also wondering with Ian being east already if models will adjust north?

6 minutes ago, ineedsnow said:

I was thinking Charleston but its double the price.. also wondering with Ian being east already if models will adjust north?

Not much of a window IMO for it to adjust that much east. You also have to consider whether you’d be wasting money if you travel and this washes out as a strong TS with an ill defined center. 

Even if it comes in as a 75kt cane you won’t likely be close enough to see those gusts because that’s a flood/surge zone near Charleston. If it were a high 2 or 3 it’d be more worth it I think, but until I see a more definitive move toward that potential it’s a very low likelihood.  

Just now, WxWatcher007 said:

Not much of a window IMO for it to adjust that much east. You also have to consider whether you’d be wasting money if you travel and this washes out as a strong TS with an ill defined center. 

Even if it comes in as a 75kt cane you won’t likely be close enough to see those gusts because that’s a flood/surge zone near Charleston. If it were a high 2 or 3 it’d be more worth it I think, but until I see a more definitive move toward that potential it’s a very low likelihood.  

Probably wait to see what the 0z models do tonight.. thanks for your input!

On 9/19/2022 at 8:39 PM, WxWatcher007 said:

It’s coming.

East money. Obviously the last minute explosion was wild but the environment was primed for a big dog. You could see it from a mile away.

Still thinking October produces a couple good storms too if we can get some seeds in the Caribbean. 

East money. Obviously the last minute explosion was wild but the environment was primed for a big dog. You could see it from a mile away.
Still thinking October produces a couple good storms too if we can get some seeds in the Caribbean. 

Hurricane hunter report seemed to coincide with the RI that happened just before landfall. The observer said it was more lightning than he’d ever seen in his career as a hurricane hunter.

Sounds like the plane passed near or through a hot tower accompanying the RI. Would love to see the data from that pass.