Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Tracking the Tropics

40/70 Benchmark

18 minutes ago, ineedsnow said:

Why would they ever build like that? That's just asking for trouble

8 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Ian will be a good lesson in why you don't build coastal cities on sea level marshlands.  

:flood:

I fear many will turn their backs on such a lesson. Their faith will be in the rebuild call by the greatest of Gods, the almighty $. Stay well, as always….

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, rclab said:

I fear many will turn their backs on such a lesson. Their faith will be in the rebuild call by the greatest of Gods, the almighty $. Stay well, as always….

and this will likely be "upgraded" to Cat 5 in post like they always are at this strength..... Andrew, Michael and now Ian.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

A few days ago I didn't expect it to be a cat 4/5... I expected very high storm surge and freshwater flooding by copious rain.   The winds will add loads to the misery

Intensity forecasting is a nightmare, no doubt.  I went 110mph LF back on Monday, which I thought was aggressive at the time, and it ended up extremely conservative

• Like 1

I had been watching the waves from the Lana Kai hotel webcam this morning until it went offline about  3 or 4 hours ago. At that time, it appeared the waves were at the building line. These twitter feeds prove what I suspected. You look at where FMB is located in relation to the eye/eyewall and you can only imagine how high the storm surge must be. 

48 minutes ago, MarkO said:

I had been watching the waves from the Lana Kai hotel webcam this morning until it went offline about  3 or 4 hours ago. At that time, it appeared the waves were at the building line. These twitter feeds prove what I suspected. You look at where FMB is located in relation to the eye/eyewall and you can only imagine how high the storm surge must be. 

The worst of it is likely just beginning for Fort Myers proper and Cape Coral. Winds are finally starting to push water up the river (along with the pressure related surge), and as winds come around to more westerly it should really start to shove water into those canals.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

The worst of it is likely just beginning for Fort Myers proper and Cape Coral. Winds are finally starting to push water up the river (along with the pressure related surge), and as winds come around to more westerly it should really start to shove water into those canals.

I was thinking that as well. My SIL has a house about 10 miles northeast of FMB and although that may sound like a lot, it's only about 15' above sea level and all those canals, who knows how far inland the surge/flooding will get. Even though they'reabout 15' above sea level, the FEMA 100 year storm is 15'. Probably designed to be an inch over flood zone. FEMA going to go broke. Kinda reminds me of Sandy. This one is going to be costly.