Total Members
    Most Online
    ChicagoGuy
    Newest Member
    ChicagoGuy
Tracking the Tropics

40/70 Benchmark

7 minutes ago, Hoth said:

Wow, guess the models weren't hitting the peyote after all! How are the conditions? Looks like the core is moving towards you guys quickly.

Dropsonde shakes out to ~932mb. Not bad as it's still on approach. It looks like it's going more northward, but I need the NNW shift to be on a path to a center pass. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

It’s beautiful up here. I’m just waiting to see when this makes the turn north…

Did you get the surge numbers you were looking for?

storm surge of 1.8 to 2.4 metres and dangerous waves ranging from 11 to 15 metres in height on Saturday morning to coincide with the arrival of high tide.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, drstuess said:

Was building towards dark. Some bigger waves than this lurking, but a few representative ones.c75acee7b95dc1ecbe61b9e95b6ca3ab.jpgabac7f7287d563d16336a108ea25043c.jpg

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

There were absolute bombs at dusk. There is a reef about a Mile SW off sachuest point that began breaking as high tide approached and from a good mile away you could see huge faces . Never saw it break like that before . It was mostly mundane thru mid afternoon With 5-8 foot sets than someone flipped the switch 

You could see on Block island and Nantucket bouy (biggest east of Montauk) a big jump at 5-7pm that lasted 2 hrs or so but we rarely see 9-10ft @17 seconds 

• Like 7

43 minutes ago, Hoth said:

Just based on what I'm seeing on Twitter, the show seems to be starting. More people reporting power out, "noisy" and "scary" wind, tree down on deck--that sort of thing. I'd imagine with a storm booking this fast, it will go from pedestrian to gnarly in a hurry.

Getting some good gusts here. Power flickered not too long ago. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Have a feeling this is gonna disappoint as far as pressure, and wind for you, compared to forecasts? hope I’m wrong? Maybe you get it good on the back side..? 

Nah, not a disappointment. I think the wind can produce nicely once it shifts W or SW tomorrow, and it produced tonight with some big gusts. Just west of me on Henry Island recorded hurricane force gusts. I don't think we're getting into the 920s but the 940mb record is certainly within reach. Guysburough, which is about 45 miles to my south has a pressure of 946 and the center isn't onshore yet. Places with a more northerly or easterly fetch are getting it good right now, but western Cape Breton should get backside love tomorrow afternoon.

gfs_mslp_wind_secan_4.png 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WxWatcher007 said:

That power pole directly ahead is swaying pretty good right now in these gusts. They're nasty ones. This is impressive for sure and it's not a great wind vector. 

I would say you will have the center passing very close to you around 3 hours from now let's say 0830z. I estimate it is just east of Canso NS at this time, heading NNW. There's going to be a nasty storm surge at Louisbourg which faces southeast. 

• Like 1