Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Tracking the Tropics

40/70 Benchmark

13 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Ya it’s a joke track for high end T.S. force winds…and zero chance of a bonafide Cane so nothing exciting there.  But at this boring point..I’ll take a heavy rain nor’easter in a hot second, so bring that.  

Agreed I'll take that Euro in a heartbeat. The weather has been relentlessly boring 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Its crazy how many knowledgeable people just can't wrap their minds around the fact that a tropical system skirting SNE to the east is NBD in terms of wind. They see the pretty picture with the low near the cape and just lose their minds.

This system as no chance to do what people are hoping it does.

what, you don't have a house on Cape Cod?  :lol:

Let the hype begin (TD9)
It's not fun when considering property. My enthusiasm is kept in check knowing the implication and damage that could unfold.
06z GFS has 40-50" of rainfall over the next 10 days in Central FL. People prepare, storm comes (now know why they party) during and after it's gone all the food supplies can't go to waste... fire-up the grill   

Novi Scoti, New Finny Land are going to take a swift strong hit...they can handle it...  

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I was out there is a August.

I spoke with them because I thought I lost my wallet with my work ID and a few credit cards in it.

Luckily this man called me and said he picked up my wallet on the floor . 

Wife and I met the guy at his house in Sandwich. 

15 hours ago, Hoth said:

Or maybe Donna?

Man I remember Donna well.  I’ll share this again.   I was in 8th grade on a rainy morning.  With the storm not forecasted to hit us in NNJ.  I was intrigued by the intense rain and wind late morning into the afternoon.   What an autumn and winter!   Bill Mazeroski broke our hearts a few weeks later.   JFK was elected (sort of) in November and the winter of our lives December and January.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ROOSTA said:

Let the hype begin (TD9)
It's not fun when considering property. My enthusiasm is kept in check knowing the implication and damage that could unfold.
06z GFS has 40-50" of rainfall over the next 10 days in Central FL. People prepare, storm comes (now know why they party) during and after it's gone all the food supplies can't go to waste... fire-up the grill   

Novi Scoti, New Finny Land are going to take a swift strong hit...they can handle it...  

Hope they can handle it better than Halifax "handled" Juan.  Looks like peak winds will be similar but Fiona's a bigger storm.

• Like 1

I had to relocate once more, but only about a mile. My second option fell though after the owner decided to shut down. It's cloudy and breezy with light rain from the front. I'll be using my Kestrel and basic barometer to document the pressure fall. 

In a quick drive around we see a gas line at the local station and folks hunkering down by taking furniture inside and getting last minute supplies. Folks are taking this one seriously.

8eL4Nuf.jpg

Now's the hard part. Waiting. Fiona looks good on satellite, but now we have to see what the final approach and track look like. I think I'm in a good spot still, as a slightly further east track would probably allow for a better wind vector here, and a center pass is obviously a center pass. 

I am walking distance from the coast.

wEsgx0m.jpg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Hoth said:

Fiona is taking on that hybrid look. It still has that hurricane core, but now complemented with a big baroclinic leaf peeling off to the north. Fun to watch the evolution on satellite. 

What's interesting is that the CDO actually looks like it's improved and become more symmetrical the last couple of hours. 

4 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

What's interesting is that the CDO actually looks like it's improved and become more symmetrical the last couple of hours. 

Yeah, it's a very nice look on satellite especially for this latitude. Don't like relying on a N/NNW hook but here we are :lol: 

3 minutes ago, Hoth said:

Yes! Pretty rare to have a cat 4 this far north, too. Fascinating evolution under way. 

Highest latitude Cat 4 since Debby in 1982 per Phil Klotzbach.