Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Tracking the Tropics

40/70 Benchmark

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

The core just got ejected again ...  

Couple hours ago ( still is the case ) minoring anvil trajectories out ahead of Fiona were tending more toward the N as opposed to right at her - that implied lowering shear. 

But it doesn't appear the TC is responding to a more favorable environment - so the speculation may not be seeing some layers...

Doesn’t appear to be a more favorable environment now or modeled to be now ..was there 

The whole tenor off the east coast is going to shift dramatically over the next week. A WAR is going to build in starting 2nd half of the week and continue to build into the following week. I’m not sold on the first big boot out to sea. The ridge axis out west as highlighted by the CPC, show plenty of wave spacing for UL heights to pump over eastern New England. The ensembles hint, similarly. My expectation is the UL heights build and push from east to west during this time frame. Key will be in how fast this happens to steer Fiona, toward or away from the CONUS. 

949613C3-9139-463D-BCD8-4A37F5E66D95.gif

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Yeah it’s close. Unless you had the stomach (no disrespect) to stay and let the chase come to you and live with the consequences, I’d probably prepare to leave by Sunday. 

You have to consider if you could deal with potentially being stuck at least a few days after a hurricane, with power out and scarce supplies.

7 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Yeah it’s close. Unless you had the stomach (no disrespect) to stay and let the chase come to you and live with the consequences, I’d probably prepare to leave by Sunday. 

You have to consider if you could deal with potentially being stuck at least a few days after a hurricane, with power out and scarce supplies.

To me it would depend on the safety of the structure and as long as it wasn’t On the ocean in a surge zone . These canes can blow up very fast in that area . Could be fun 

My only worry would be RI / if it’s motion slowed down in area and gave it more time to cook 

Can model watch for another day as well 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

To me it would depend on the safety of the structure and as long as it wasn’t On the ocean in a surge zone . These canes can blow up very fast in that area . Could be fun 

My only worry would be RI / if it’s motion slowed down in area and gave it more time to cook 

Oh yeah, flood risk would be top of mind. If there's any risk there it's an easy call to go. Even big wind can be manageable in a sound structure. 

22 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Doesn’t Alex have small kids?  That would play into my decision. 

That definitely would sway the decision swiftly to get off the island.  I was thinking of just adults trying to take care of themselves.  Young kids, no thanks even in just a power outage, ha. Don’t put them in harms way.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, powderfreak said:

That definitely would sway the decision swiftly to get off the island.  I was thinking of just adults trying to take care of themselves.  Young kids, no thanks even in just a power outage, ha. Don’t put them in harms way.

Talked to locals. Apparently Provo has a very strong infrastructure and they usually don't lose power in hurricanes. We are staying at a luxury resort so I doubt that they're keen on putti guests at risk, either. Wouldn't be very good publicity for Sandals. 2.5 days to go but currently inclined to stay. 

• Like 3

Also read that the island is not prone to storm surges due to its shore topography (lots of walls which made for great diving). That would be my main concern given that Im in an oceanfront suite. Interestingly, Grand Turk, Salt Cay and some of the other parts of the chain tend to fare much worse. What to do, what do. As of right now airlines are not waiving change fees so it'd cost me about $2000 to fly out today or tomorrow 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Euro track Friday to Saturday tried to hook this back to SE Canada . Not sure if that is actually a legit option . Had sub 540 heights in a cold pool over W MD . 

Hmm.

I’d like others to chime in, but it seems the overnight operational guidance turned that trough from a progressive kicker to something that cuts off. It could be a hiccup suite like the ones that drove this into land a few days ago, but if that becomes a trend, it’s a substantial shift even if it’s just for maritime Canada.

It happens at different times on the guidance which results in radically different outcomes between the Euro/CMC and GFS, but it’s there.

EiqTvBp.png

Qj2SSfL.png

VKVrZ1y.png

I didn’t expect that. The Euro in particular has been stubbornly holding onto this one. 

X7szkzI.jpg

Not really changing my odds from yesterday, but it’s interesting.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Hmm.

I’d like others to chime in, but it seems the overnight operational guidance turned that trough from a progressive kicker to something that cuts off. It could be a hiccup suite like the ones that drove this into land a few days ago, but if that becomes a trend, it’s a substantial shift even if it’s just for maritime Canada.

It happens at different times on the guidance which results in radically different outcomes between the Euro/CMC and GFS, but it’s there.

26 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

EiqTvBp.png

Qj2SSfL.png

VKVrZ1y.png

I didn’t expect that. The Euro in particular has been stubbornly holding onto this one. 

X7szkzI.jpg

Not really changing my odds from yesterday, but it’s interesting.  

The closeness in time of the first trough means it’s well enough resolved to see that the orientation is too far east; despite being deep, it becomes an NS—east story. 

Now if Fiona stays weak and meanders in the Bahamas, missing the D6 trough, the east coast is open to a hit seeing the WAR that builds over top. 

The D10 long wave pattern is pretty damn standard look for a hit/very close approach of a tropical system, whereas D6 pattern is “not a chance”.

Bottom line is Fiona needs to miss the D6 trough or we are all spectators for NS and NL. If not, very exciting to track—many “in the game”.

Now short term- The land interaction with PR and Hispaniola is adding significant complexity to the short term intensity guidance and therefore the ultimate track. Weak = south/west; strong =north/east. Model guidance is classically conveying too much certainty with respect to this and many tracking are falling for it.

0D6ED142-5F33-4BDA-9944-7BA05D448515.png

963EA2C9-5F76-467B-B0D2-7DB92E385DEC.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

The closeness in time of the first trough means it’s well enough resolved to see that the orientation is too far east; despite being deep, it becomes an NS—east story. 

Now if Fiona stays weak and meanders in the Bahamas, missing the D6 trough, the east coast is open to a hit seeing the WAR that builds over top. 

The D10 long wave pattern is pretty damn standard look for a hit/very close approach of a tropical system, whereas D6 pattern is “not a chance”.

Bottom line is Fiona needs to miss the D6 trough or we are all spectators for NS and NL. If not, very exciting to track—many “in the game”.

Now short term- The land interaction with PR and Hispaniola is adding significant complexity to the short term intensity guidance and therefore the ultimate track. Weak = south/west; strong =north/east. Model guidance is classically conveying too much certainty with respect to this and many tracking are falling for it.

0D6ED142-5F33-4BDA-9944-7BA05D448515.png

963EA2C9-5F76-467B-B0D2-7DB92E385DEC.png

Thanks. I think it's going to be hard for this to miss either trough. The first still looks to turn it northwestward/northward into the weakness between ridges--the weakness is there no matter what, and that D6 trough looks too big to miss. 

It does look disorganized currently per recon and microwave imagery, so I do think we'll need to wait to see how Hispaniola impacts it before locking things in. 

11 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Thanks. I think it's going to be hard for this to miss either trough. The first still looks to turn it northwestward/northward into the weakness between ridges--the weakness is there no matter what, and that D6 trough looks too big to miss. 

It does look disorganized currently per recon and microwave imagery, so I do think we'll need to wait to see how Hispaniola impacts it before locking things in. 

What is the last time stamp on the microwave you see

At this point Fiona ain't missing the day 6 trough so now we'll have to see what the orientation of that trough is. 

Euro is very different compared to other guidance with it. How far west Fiona gets also makes a big difference. 

You'd need huge large scale changes for any sort of impact here though. SE Canada is easier