Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Tracking the Tropics

40/70 Benchmark

38 minutes ago, Hoth said:

That would be awesome. Bill level wave action?

Not at that angle but def big ,  but not much wiggle room left or right at that angle of approach for seeing very large surf .Bill was clean huge swells from SSE/SE . This would be south swell and windy blown out conditions as posted and half that size If it moved Inland west over NC 

25 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Not at that angle but def big ,  but not much wiggle room left or right at that angle of approach for seeing very large surf .Bill was clean huge swells from SSE/SE . This would be south swell and windy blown out conditions as posted and half that size If it moved Inland west over NC 

That's an excellent point. Bill was approaching more or less straight out of the south, right? I still remember when the surf from that one first showed up. Our place on Fishers Island faces CT, so no direct exposure to the Atlantic. We were on our beach having a bonfire and a freak wave came in out of nowhere and totally snuffed the fire, soaked us to our knees, and pulled our cooler out into the Sound. That was when I realized what was happening. I hopped in the car and drove over to the Atlantic side of the island. You could hear the waves well before the ocean came into view--or rather you could hear the enormous waves sucking the rocks off the beach into the water as they receded. Biggest surf I've ever seen by a country mile. You could also see the outermost bands of Bill on the southern horizon, with lightning flashing against the night sky.   

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Hoth said:

That's an excellent point. Bill was approaching more or less straight out of the south, right? I still remember when the surf from that one first showed up. Our place on Fishers Island faces CT, so no direct exposure to the Atlantic. We were on our beach having a bonfire and a freak wave came in out of nowhere and totally snuffed the fire, soaked us to our knees, and pulled our cooler out into the Sound. That was when I realized what was happening. I hopped in the car and drove over to the Atlantic side of the island. You could hear the waves well before the ocean came into view--or rather you could hear the enormous waves sucking the rocks off the beach into the water as they receded. Biggest surf I've ever seen by a country mile. You could also see the outermost bands of Bill on the southern horizon, with lightning flashing against the night sky.   

That sounds amazing 

1 minute ago, WinterWolf said:

It sure does…we need Fiona to get her arse up here for an intimate visit.  

I mean, a storm of that magnitude I wouldn’t want in New England; have said it before with the tree growth over the last 30 years two week power outages will the minimum.

• Confused 1

55 minutes ago, Hoth said:

One of my favorite weather memories, even though we didn't actually get a storm. Just really drove home how much power these things have to stir up water like that.

Bills swell was  primarily SSE/ SE I think as that is why Maine got the biggest . The Storm was in our swell window for several days , initially It was approaching from SE-NW then SSE NNW then turned north and north east to the east of New England . 

look at Videos on you tube from Schoodic Point @ Arcadia . Probably 30 foot faces , biggest clean waves I’ve seen filmed on east coast . 48 seconds in is a monster breaking 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1