Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tracking the Tropics

40/70 Benchmark

28 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

The thing that matters right now is organization and survival in a marginal to hostile environment. Zero concerns about track currently IMO. 

Track and intensity are intertwined because TBH I would rather not see it organize much with Hispaniola being a distinct possibility. You don't want highly organized, well coupled circulation traversing that island because they become so severely disrupted that dissipation is a distinct possibility, whereas a more diffuse system is more likely to simply redevelop along either coast of the island.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Track and intensity are intertwined because TBH I would rather not see it organize much with Hispaniola being a distinct possibility. You don't want highly organized, well coupled circulation traversing that island because they become so severely disrupted that dissipation is a distinct possibility, whereas a more diffuse system is more likely to simply redevelop along either coast of the island.

Totally agree. I think this needs to be coherent enough to reorganize fairly soon after potential land interaction, but not so much that it’s decimated by the islands or, if we’re being honest, it gets too poleward to become a US threat. 

I am a little surprised it spun up into a depression in this environment but persistence is persistent until it’s not. 

• Like 1

Eric Webb sends @Typhoon Tipan early xmas gift:

The mid-troposphere temp gradient b/t the tropics & mid-latitude N Hem was at its weakest on record this summer. A weaker gradient leads to a stretched/weak Hadley Cell, favoring sluggish TC activity globally, as TCs are unable to transport heat out of the tropics as efficiently

14 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Eric Webb sends @Typhoon Tipan early xmas gift:

The mid-troposphere temp gradient b/t the tropics & mid-latitude N Hem was at its weakest on record this summer. A weaker gradient leads to a stretched/weak Hadley Cell, favoring sluggish TC activity globally, as TCs are unable to transport heat out of the tropics as efficiently

Not sure I see the logic. That doesn’t explain why they weren’t able to get going. If anything we’ve had some strong easterly winds off Africa…..maybe that means Hadley cell is displaced more to the north vs weak?

Not going to lie...this just prompted me to view a model for the first time in 6 months. That run is a special kind of "oh shit", as it intensifies on approach to the latitude of Hateras, before taking a track perhaps just east of 1938 and Gloria....that would even spell trouble for MEHthuen.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Not going to lie...this just prompted me to view a model for the first time in 6 months. That run is a special kind of "oh shit", as it intensifies on approach to the latitude of Hateras, before taking a track perhaps just east of 1938 and Gloria....that would even spell trouble for MEHthuen.

That's damage for you.